Home
Posted By: duckster Browing A-bolt rebarrel? - 11/24/14
A buddy of mine has a Browning A-bolt in .270 Win that he wants to modifiy to a .280 Ackley Improved. Is this a project that can be done with the A-bolt action? He is also planning to replace the wood stock with a synthetic. Wants a non-magnum with a bit more reach than the .270. I guess that .280 AE will have a bit more on paper at least.
Posted By: strut64 Re: Browing A-bolt rebarrel? - 11/25/14
I also have an A bolt that I have considered re-barreling and I have the following suggestions. My gunsmith says he doesn't like working on A bolts. The cost of re-barreling is very prohibitive. After we got through the estimate, it was north of $500. Best to sell and then buy what you want. (This is the avenue I am going down.) In the case your citing, 270 to 280AI, I don't think you would see a nickles worth of performance difference. My $.002
Posted By: Redneck Re: Browing A-bolt rebarrel? - 11/25/14
Originally Posted by duckster
A buddy of mine has a Browning A-bolt in .270 Win that he wants to modifiy to a .280 Ackley Improved. Is this a project that can be done with the A-bolt action? He is also planning to replace the wood stock with a synthetic. Wants a non-magnum with a bit more reach than the .270. I guess that .280 AE will have a bit more on paper at least.
Well, that 'modification' will require a new barrel (or rebore/rechamber) and will cost a bit..

And I don't know of any 'smiths that work on Brownings either..
Posted By: duckster Re: Browing A-bolt rebarrel? - 11/25/14
Thanks for the information, guys
Posted By: CAFR Re: Browing A-bolt rebarrel? - 12/04/14
These guys are correct. If you decide to re-barrel, e-mail me. I work on Brownings.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Browing A-bolt rebarrel? - 12/05/14
Pac-Nor rebarrels Browning A-Bolts
© 24hourcampfire