Home
I never can remember the answer to this question and it bugs me!

Is it possible to mount a standard remington .308 barrel to a remington 700 long action receiver for a 3006.

Aside from the obvious question of why? would you want to and that it would look out of place. I was just wondering if anyone had done this. You would have a longer bolt throw and the longer magazine probably wouldn't work with the shorter .308's. I would be interested to read your opinions.

Thanks
sure it will work.
few years back,I had a model 70 westerner,which was only made in long action,chambered in 223.
It had a half inch wide magazine block,and a bolt stop to match,to make the long action function properly with the short cartridge.
Built a 358W on a LA Interarms Mk X action. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. powdr
It'll work fine.

I've run various short action rounds thru long 700's for curiosity's sake.

The original M40 308's used a long 700 action.
The barrel never knows the length of an action!
Originally Posted by Bob338
The barrel never knows the length of an action!

THIS
I should have bought all long actions for a .473 bolt face rifles as it lets you have a lot more options for OAL and in 50 odd years have never short shucked a BA
They work fine IMO... I have 2 Rem 700 long actions that are chambered for short action cartridges/calibers... Never had a problem...

Originally Posted by rembo
The original M40 308's used a long 700 action.

This is incorrect... Original M40's were built on Rem 40x actions all of which were short actions... The M40 has always and still is a short action... The Army M24 rifle is built on a long action... All M24's were on long actions so a bolt and barrel change could make the switch between 308/300WM...
24...40....I can see how one could mix up the numbers...:-)
Works for me.

I have a .270 action with a .243 barrel that shoots well under an inch.
© 24hourcampfire