Home
Read some good stuff here so I decided to register and ask my question. I have a Remington 700 in 6mm. Never really liked it for deer, but that's what it was originally given to me for. Thinking of having something different built on the action. Pondering a 7-08 with a proof research carbon wrapped barrel. But bot opposed to a Shilen barrel or something like it. I would be using it for deer, coyotes, bear(in Arkansas), and hogs. I'd like opinions from some of you on the barrel and a good stock. I like the lightweight stocks on the kimber rifles.
What's there not to like in a 6mm Rem? Are you handloading?
6 creed is making some money at the long game right now, I favor 6.5 variety such as the 260, 6.5x47....etc. the 2800-2900mv with a 140 has reliably killed elk to 750 for me.

if I were dropping the $1,000.00 on a proof barrel, it would be going on a custom action. if you build a rem and don't like it, you have a small crowd to sell it to and the barrel must be refitted to the next action. if you went with a BAT for example, the amount of refit is next to if not zero because of the consistency in manufacture.

imo.
If you want to build on your Remington 700 action, you could buy light contour take-off barrel from a 700 MR or LSS-MR, a 700 Ti stock, and find somebody to put the parts together for you.

Or, since you like the Kimber (Montana?) stock, just buy a Kimber Montana for about what the Remington build might cost.

Of course, the real Obi_Wan would just use the power of the force.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Not hand loading now. Can't find the factory ammo here. Just not enamored with the round. I have considered just re crowning the barrel and making it my coyote gun.
Originally Posted by high_country_
6 creed is making some money at the long game right now, I favor 6.5 variety such as the 260, 6.5x47....etc. the 2800-2900mv with a 140 has reliably killed elk to 750 for me.

if I were dropping the $1,000.00 on a proof barrel, it would be going on a custom action. if you build a rem and don't like it, you have a small crowd to sell it to and the barrel must be refitted to the next action. if you went with a BAT for example, the amount of refit is next to if not zero because of the consistency in manufacture.

imo.

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Different ideas on a barrel. Unfortunately, I don't have $5000 to spend on a proof research rifle.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you want to build on your Remington 700 action, you could buy light contour take-off barrel from a 700 MR or LSS-MR, a 700 Ti stock, and find somebody to put the parts together for you.

Or, since you like the Kimber (Montana?) stock, just buy a Kimber Montana for about what the Remington build might cost.

Of course, the real Obi_Wan would just use the power of the force.

Thanks. I do like the Kimber and Montana Rifle Company. I just don't like the idea of a rifle sitting in my safe that I won't use. I haven't shot it in 15 years. Unless someone can convince me, and it would be difficult, to use it as is, I'd rather make a caliber I will use.

Oh, and the force just tears up too much meat. :-)
Trade or sell the Remington and buy a Kimber?
Hmmm ... in a lot of ways the suggestion to sell and buy something else is not bad.

I'd probably build on that action through. I'm partial to the 700 LVSF stocks. You can get 'em through Stockys. Right now I'd probably order a 1-9" twist 7mm from Lilja to build a 7mm-08.

However, if you do swap, then you're not limited to short action unless you want to be.

Tom
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
Read some good stuff here so I decided to register and ask my question. I have a Remington 700 in 6mm. Never really liked it for deer, but that's what it was originally given to me for. Thinking of having something different built on the action. Pondering a 7-08 with a proof research carbon wrapped barrel. But bot opposed to a Shilen barrel or something like it. I would be using it for deer, coyotes, bear(in Arkansas), and hogs. I'd like opinions from some of you on the barrel and a good stock. I like the lightweight stocks on the kimber rifles.

O_W,

Most Rem M700s are their std long action receivers.
Is this what you have or is it a Rem short action?
I've thought about selling it more than once. My dad bought it for me in the late 80's. He bought one for him and one for my brother too. He doesn't want me to sell it and out of respect for him, I havent. Just considering building something else so I would still have it, technically.

I have wanted a different rifle for a while now and thought building with this one would give it some sentimental value to me. I'll probably just buy a Montana rifle company or Kimber rifle and keep this one in the safe.
I've thought about selling it more than once. My dad bought it for me in the late 80's. He bought one for him and one for my brother too. He doesn't want me to sell it and out of respect for him, I havent. Just considering building something else so I would still have it, technically.

I have wanted a different rifle for a while now and thought building with this one would give it some sentimental value to me. I'll probably just buy a Montana rifle company or Kimber rifle and keep this one in the safe.

If it has sentimental value it would be better to keep it and get another rifle. Those Remington 700's in 6mm are selling on Gunbroker for some crazy money, so I would advise not to rebarrel it. Hold on to it and keep it in good shape and it will only increase in value.
Unless someone can convince me, and it would be difficult, to use it as is, I'd rather make a caliber I will use.

How about this?: Instead of spending a bunch of money on a fancy barrel, why not get a basic reloading set up and a couple of boxes of 95 grain Ballistic Tips and commence to killing deer? That combination will most definitely do the job.
Originally Posted by mathman
Unless someone can convince me, and it would be difficult, to use it as is, I'd rather make a caliber I will use.

How about this?: Instead of spending a bunch of money on a fancy barrel, why not get a basic reloading set up and a couple of boxes of 95 grain Ballistic Tips and commence to killing deer? That combination will most definitely do the job.

More than one reason not to at this time. No where to put one right now.

I know it will get it done. I used a load like that for 10 years. I was never very impressed with its performance though.
I could hunt deer the rest of my life with the 6mm Remington . I have killed more than 50 deer with the 6mm Remington , most with the Hornady 100 gr Spiral Point . You will love it in the deer woods if using factory ammo the Remington 100 gr Corlok works great .

KEEP IT AS IS IN THE 6MM REM
Originally Posted by bea175
I could hunt deer the rest of my life with the 6mm Remington . I have killed more than 50 deer with the 6mm Remington , most with the Hornady 100 gr Spiral Point . You will love it in the deer woods if using factory ammo the Remington 100 gr Corlok works great .

KEEP IT AS IS IN THE 6MM REM

I used it for about 15 years. I killed 1-2 deer every year with it. Ranges from 10 yards to 250 yards. I was never impressed with it. My dad let someone talk him into it and I was too young to have much of an opinion. Never lost a deer, but i was never impressed.
What bullets were you using? I was not much of a 243 fan until I saw results from the 95 grain Ballistic Tip. Then I was impressed.
Originally Posted by mathman
What bullets were you using? I was not much of a 243 fan until I saw results from the 95 grain Ballistic Tip. Then I was impressed.

Remington factory ammo. Core lokt I believe. My brother reloaded some nosler bullets at that time as well.
Forty-five years ago, one of my first rifles was a Remington 660 in 6mm. Have shot a few 'chucks, coyotes, and deer with it and found that if I shot deer through the lungs, they died. Same/same with the 243, 250-3000, and 257 Roberts which are all more similar than different. I do think that large diameter bullets produce more "bang/flop" DRT deer, but if you shoot 'em in the vitals with a proper bullet, they die.

I think that you'd be likely to spend more $$ on a quality barrel, a quality stock, and a skilled gun mechanic to put everything together than you would if you just shopped around for a Kimber Montana or a Forbes 20B.
The reviews I'm seeing on Forbes rifles makes me want to stay way away from them. A kimber Montana or a Montana Rifle company rifle seems to be a better choice.
Shame to bust up a classic like that. To many easy choices and leave that alone. Just cause' it's hard to go backwards.

Pick something you like and move on. Hard to change what you did in the past...

Cheers

W
Originally Posted by woofer
Shame to bust up a classic like that. To many easy choices and leave that alone. Just cause' it's hard to go backwards.

Pick something you like and move on. Hard to change what you did in the past...

Cheers

W

Based on the input here and on another site I visit, I'm probably just going to let it be a safe queen for a while longer. I'll just put the money down on another rifle.
The 6mm has many followers. Sell that rifle and buy something in the caliber you want. The 6mm Remington is a great caliber
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

What he said!!!
My cousin asked for some help with the same type situation that you are in. His was a model 70 that his dad gave him years ago. We ended up with using his old action, bought a new barrel and chambered to 7/08, finished with a thumbhole from boyts. He is very happy with the finished product, it shoots very well. That said, he spent nearly $1000 to bring the old girl back to favor.
off topic but is that an rd400 in your profile pic? 2 stroke tuning fork bikes are some of my favorites. Also my folks lived in VT for quite a bit, Imay have bought my BRNO no4 from your shop back in the early 90s. If so, it's still in my safe and shot often.
I am with you not much of a 6mm guy. Each to there own. The smallest I prefer to use is 7mm /.284. I really like the 7mm Mauser 140 gr loaded to modern arms specs. And that would fit your action perfectly. But it would require reloading to get the real performance out of it. Nothing wrong with 7mm-08 just a short action cartridge in what should be a long action.
Highgate Center?
Originally Posted by wtroger
I am with you not much of a 6mm guy. Each to there own. The smallest I prefer to use is 7mm /.284. I really like the 7mm Mauser 140 gr loaded to modern arms specs. And that would fit your action perfectly. But it would require reloading to get the real performance out of it. Nothing wrong with 7mm-08 just a short action cartridge in what should be a long action.

I don't think 6mm Remingtons came in long action 700's.
Nah, I know who you guys are asking about. Not me. Yeah it's an RD. I love them. Waiting to finish my house now so I can get going on a RD250 I have had for a few years. The worlds simplest motorcycles....

W
I've been convinced to leave it a 6mm. I'm going to put it in a lightweight stock, recrown the barrel, and maybe creakote it and turn some coyotes into pelts.
The reviews I'm seeing on Forbes rifles makes me want to stay way away from them. A kimber Montana or a Montana Rifle company rifle seems to be a better choice.

O_W,

Look here also:

http://americanhuntingrifles.com/?page_id=35
Good choice
Being a guy who owns 8 or so rifles in 7x57 and its little brothers, the 257 Roberts and 6mm Remington, obvious I like them. As tripleshock wrote, good choice.
I've been convinced to leave it a 6mm. I'm going to put it in a lightweight stock, recrown the barrel, and maybe creakote it and turn some coyotes into pelts.

Yep.

And start handloading. You can make that 6 mm do just about what you want with the right load(s).

DF

IMO, your money would be best spent on reloading equipment, and leave the alone for now. If you've only been shooting Remington green box cor-lokt ammo then it's no wonder you're not too hot on the 6mm Remington. Buy a basic RCBS reloading kit, then log back on here for some good advise. Your 6mm Remington will be a whole different rifle with YOU in charge of the bullet selection and the speeds they're launched at. With the green box crap running at least a dollar a shot now, there's even more incentive to invest in reloading gear.

The 6mm Rem offers a LOT to someone who reloads. If you're not up for that, but something with more(good)commercial load options..........like a .308win.
For what it's worth I had a similar situation, tho with a rusted out bbl on a 725SA.

Looked for a 7-08 bbl came up with a 260 700 TI and couldn't be happier with it. Screwed right on, without head spacing probs but exactly upside down. I don't care.

It only likes 140 gr bullets, and factory's ammo is expensive and often hard to find (Creedmore seems more common on the shelves)

If OP's rifle is a SA I think 7-08 takeoff, or a new Shaw bbl is the way to go.

Interesting dilemma you're dealing with ..... If not converting to 7mm-08, why not a plain vanilla .308 Winchester?

I found an early 1960's short M700 in 6mm for its donor action, planning on rebarreling to the .308.

I'm also not a big fan of the .243 caliber for deer.

Also like you, I too want a Kimber Montana - as my goto BG rifle, likely in .308. grin
I'm with most of the rest of these guys, leave it alone and get into reloading. That 6MM will kill deer like a lightening bolt if loaded with the right bullet. Sentimental value is definitely a consideration. I still have my first rifle, a 700 that's on its forth barrel. You have a fine rifle.
Just sell the rifle as is and get one more like you want it!

Money spent just to change the caliber is wasted. You destroy the value of the factory barrel which some value!

The old 700's are not the best design anyway for hunting and are being recalled.

Look at the Kimbers if that's what you like. I have them and like them.

My Kimber 84M Montana 243 is very accurate and easy to shoot well.
© 24hourcampfire