Home
Posted By: redtick63 Gunsmithing screwdriver set - 02/28/15
Wanting to buy a good quality screwdriver set.Any suggestions.Looking at the magna-tip from Brownell's.Good bad or something better.
Far as I know, the Brownells magna-tip set is as good as it gets, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to claim that I am full of sheise.
Posted By: toad Re: Gunsmithing screwdriver set - 02/28/15
I have the Wheeler set from Midway. they work for me, but I have not used the Magna-tip drivers
As mudstud said, it's going to be hard to beat the Brownell's set. Just make sure whatever you choose, get the magnetized as it will save a lot of time looking for ring cap screws on the floor and is great for removing and placing screws in places fingers won't go.
John
I'm sure the screwdrivers recommended are very good. But, I've done very well with a red handled set of electrians screwdrivers for a number of years now that I bought at a Harbor Freight store. Slot heads are ground flat and all are magnetized. Fairly inexpensive too.
I used to use the Wheeler set but recently got a Weaver set. The Weaver set has more tips (some that will never be used), and I found the Allen (hex socket) tips were rounding on the Wheeler set.
Chapman have worked well for me for years, you can buy new and different tips individually as needed. The small ratchet works on the tips or the screwdriver handle for extra leverage while keeping down pressure for those hard to remove screws. Whatever you get my suggestion would be to get a set with hollow ground tips. I'm sure the Brownell's would be good too.
deleted
Get the Brownells, break a bit and they will replace it, FREE. Service after the sale and you will break or twist them.
I recommend this particular Brownells Magnatip set to our Gunsmithing students. They can later add the thin bit set and whatever else they want, but this one takes care of 95% of their needs as is, and it only costs around $50.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...magna-tip-screwdriver-set-prod22300.aspx

Bill Jacobs
Strangely enough I use quality hardware store screwdrivers mostly. Heresy I know but most screws I've met aren't tight enough for buggering. wink For the rest the recommended set is excellent. I buy a couple extra bits of a common size for replacements but mostly to grind for that rarely met oddball screw that the usual suspects don't fit.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Strangely enough I use quality hardware store screwdrivers mostly. Heresy I know but most screws I've met aren't tight enough for buggering. wink For the rest the recommended set is excellent. I buy a couple extra bits of a common size for replacements but mostly to grind for that rarely met oddball screw that the usual suspects don't fit.

Heresy? Not really. Any quality screwdriver will work.

I purchased the Wheeler 89-piece set years ago, but I have an old American made B-Square set that I use 99% of the time.

I would've liked to have purchased the Brownells set, but my budget wouldn't allow it at the time. Looking back, I should have purchased the $50 Brownells set and just added to it as money allowed. When I do break a Wheeler bit, I replace it with one from Brownells.
Chapman makes some very nice sets. They are made in the USA and very high quality. Amazon sells a few different sets depending how much you want to spend and which bits you are looking for. Worth checking out.
© 24hourcampfire