Home
Bought this 98 off of GunBroker. Been rebarreled to a 250-3000. When trying to close the action on a round it is extremely hard to close the bolt.
Rounds are coming out of mag behind the extractor. Trying to remove round bolt is very stiff and 9 times out of ten the extractor jumps the rim.
Have fired a few handloads thru it and they show no signs of high pressure head space seems long but case measures the same as a resized load just above expansion groove. Colored a case after resizing and it shows rub marks above the rim.
If I push a case in by hand it looks like it seats fully in the chamber. Bolt closes and open easily with no round in chamber.
I am looking for any ideas.

Thanks in advance

[Linked Image]
Hard to tell really but I'm just across the river if you want to bring it over sometime and I could have a look....
Answered your PM thanks
Figured it out. Chamber does not like the resized brass out of my old 99 savage. Found a virgin 22-250 case in my box of old dummy cases. Necked it up and it chambers fine. New box of brass headed my way now. Gonna get this old girl up and going soon.
I just had the same experience with a factory vs new aftermarket barrel. The rifle is a savage 110 in 7 mm Mag. Rounds from the old barrel and brass from being fired in the old barrel just would not work in the new barrel. Pulled all the bullets and dumped all the old brass. Only had about 40 of the old stuff so it was not a big deal. Fresh rounds work fine and resized fine in the new barrel. Not unusual at all.
Yea I have ran into this before but for some reason I had a mental block and started chasing everything else. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought hey dumb as. try a new piece of brass. I dug around and found the old dummy round and bingo all is good. Thank god for 2 day shipping from Amazon I will be shooting Sunday I hope.
© 24hourcampfire