Home
Posted By: WiFowler Internal Threading Tool - 09/28/15
My internal threading tool (ground HSS) is on its last legs. IMHO, I'm the world's worst tool grinder, so I've been considering a tool with indexable inserts. Would like to stay with HSS. I have a couple of the A.R. Warner indexable turning tools and like them.

Anyone have any experience with the AR Warner internal(laydown) threading tools? Most of my internal threading is limited to 12, 16, 20, and 24 TPI.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Internal Threading Tool - 09/28/15
The bore diameter, depth, and whether you need to go to an internal shoulder will limit the size and type of tool. Pay attention to that. I've got the Warner double ended tool and like it but haven't used it on an internal yet. It will be close for an action thread, having enough clearance on the tool. Their laydown won't work well to to a blind shoulder because the triangle sticks out the front. If that isn't a concern, I've read nothing but good reviews about his HSS and carbide tooling. Tons of other options out there but I have no experience with them. I mostly use a boring bar with a ground bit in the end of it and Circle C preground bits for small, short stuff.
© 24hourcampfire