Home
Posted By: reelman Stock wax??? - 10/02/15
I just picked up a new Kimber M84L in "06. The stock is very nice but I would prefer to fill in the pores and maybe put just a tiny amount of shean on it. What would you suggest?
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Stock wax??? - 10/02/15
I have always used Johnson's Paste Wax. Seems to do a good job, but am looking forward to seeing some better answers.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Stock wax??? - 10/03/15
A wax with a high percentage of carnauba wax works better. Carnauba is harder and has a higher melting point so is more durable. It's also more expensive. I like the R. Gale Lock Co. Carnauba Gun Wax, paste type (Brownells for one). Micro-crystalline waxes can be good as they are engineered for specific purposes though I have no experience with them on wood. Stay away from auto waxes which generally contain silicone.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Stock wax??? - 10/16/15
Don't wax it if you really want to fill the pores. That will take additional finish that won't stick to wax.

Not sure what Kimber uses but I am guessing it is a poly finish. Tru-Oil should stick to this and is glossy. Scuff the stock with a fine abrasive so it sticks better use a light grey scotch pad or 600 or finer wt dry paper.

Test it and if it works put at least 3-5 thin coats then after it has cured rub down with rotten stone. Then wax and buff if you want more shine.

BriWax is good and has a fair amount of carnauba and Renaissance for a micro wax.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Stock wax??? - 10/16/15
The only wax that I have ever put on rifle stocks is Renaissance Wax.
Posted By: hclark Re: Stock wax??? - 10/16/15
BriWax is excellent for wood!
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Stock wax??? - 10/17/15
Howards feed and wax! very best winpoor
Posted By: sako4me Re: Stock wax??? - 10/17/15
Birchwood Casey makes a stock sheen and conditioner which works very well.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Stock wax??? - 10/18/15
BriWax, Ren Wax, Butcher's, etc.- not a heckuva lot of difference. Pick one and go forth and prosper.
© 24hourcampfire