Home
Posted By: 12Oclock New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/15/15
Thinking of buying a PT&G bolt with a magnum face, and a Shilen .300 Win Mag, short chambered barrel. This is currently a .30-06 AI, LA ADL. Other than the Magnum follower is there any thing else I should consider?
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/16/15
Hoping for some response on this post. I have been shooting this rifle for years and it has all the bell and whistle's finished like I like it. Only issue is the cartridge. I am tired of dealing with the cases for the AI and will be handing this rifle down to non reloaders in the next few years. With that in mind I would like to go to another .30 caliber cartridge and the .300 Win Mag is right there for my action length. I thought about the Short Mag but since my action is long it kind of defeats the purpose. What is the general consensus on that.
Posted By: 805 Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/16/15
You may have to cut the feed rails to get the 300win to feed. Also need a new mag box and follower but that's easy.
You could trade bolts pretty easily too....
Posted By: smy1 Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/17/15
Actually your existing follower and magazine will work. The only feed rail work may be at the rear to clear the case belt when loading. Buy the PTG one piece bolt and forget the hassle of adding the bolt handle.
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/18/15
Thanks for the responses. I spoke with PTG yesterday and the one piece is the way to go. Decisions on the handle, extractor etc. barrel length ?, but thats the fun part. I got some .300 ammo and stuffed three in the magazine with no problem, and they fed right out. I already have the rifle bedded in a HS Precision stock, Tubbs spring and firing pin, Timney trigger etc. I would go to the short mag but like the rifle as it is.

I waited too many years for someone to produce a standard length .30 magnum without the belt. The .30-06 AI almost got there but I will move along to the Win Mag now. The kids will use the heck out of it.
Posted By: Danny1788 Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/18/15
30 nosler?
Originally Posted by 12Oclock

I waited too many years for someone to produce a standard length .30 magnum without the belt. The .30-06 AI almost got there but I will move along to the Win Mag now. The kids will use the heck out of it.

.30 Newton?
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 11/21/15
Yes, the .30 Nosler would be a good start. I figure there are too many good standard actions out there and they would loose gun sales if they came out with the perfect standard fat .30. I won't chamber the new barrel to any wildcat round because of the reloading issue.
I went from 35 Whelen to 358 Norma mag and changed nothing except the boltface/extractor.
Why not set back and re-chamber to a regular .30-06?
Should teach your kids the fine art of reloading. My Dad did
that with my brother and I back in the '60's, and to this day,
I thank him for it.
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 12/02/15
I have several 06s already. Don't have a .300 wm. Want one. Like to work on rifles. Its a hobby.

Posted By: 12Oclock Re: New bolt and barrel R700 - 12/02/15
Shoulda, coulda, woulda, they did not want to learn. I even have a press, scale, etc. squirreled away for the day. Now grown and I am just glad they like to hunt, shoot, etc.... Each to their own. I can't imagine not reloading.
© 24hourcampfire