Home
I had to come up with a chatter killer, so I used one of my 2/6/12 blocks to anchor to......worked like magic.[Linked Image]

I fixed remington's roll mark.
[Linked Image]
Did you just push that block up against the back of the workpiece/barrel? What are you holding the barrel with, an indexing head and some sort of tailstock? More pics please.
It's a 2/4/12 block and it is clamped to the bed. I clamp the barrel to it on the far side when climb milling, once the cutter passes the center, I add a clamp to the back side and remove the one on the front....no chatter this way.
The indexing head is clearly visible in the LH side of the pic already posted.
Correct. Rotary indexer.
HC,...

Might I ask the basic specs on that cutter ?

I have a barrel here that needs that same ride.

Thanks,

GTC
It is a 6" x 3/16" HSS with a 1" hole sitting in a cheap Arbor. I bought it as a regrind on Ebby, it started life as a nice American built tool and seems to continue on just fine. I can get a tooth count later.

if a guy had a 2-4" cutter, it would be easier to get close to the ends, but the 6" never even gets warm......and I'm in the thing less than 50 bucks.

the barrel MUST be anchored to something to kill the chatter...but it doesnt take much effort to work it out.
Is there a radius on the cutting edge, or straight toothed? If it's a regrind, I suspect that the radius was introduce at that point.
It's a radius. When the chatter is controlled, it looks like a ground cut.
The nice thing about the larger dia. cutters is the 'sweep' they leave at the end of the cut. Small dia. cutters leave much more abrupt end to the cut. I guess it's a matter of taste.
Beautiful.
Originally Posted by high_country_
It's a 2/4/12 block and it is clamped to the bed. I clamp the barrel to it on the far side when climb milling, once the cutter passes the center, I add a clamp to the back side and remove the one on the front....no chatter this way.

Are you using an adjustable tail-stock on the far end?
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by high_country_

Are you using an adjustable tail-stock on the far end?

Yes.
© 24hourcampfire