Home
Posted By: northcountry Will it work - 04/15/16
Hoping the gunsmiths will join in. I have and old but serviceable savage 110 in Rem. 7MM and I have a 35 Whelen barrel for a 110 I would like to mate them up and make a long action Rem 350. I do understand that one or more threads will need to be remove for the shorter chamber but will have it throated longer. Thus I can load the bullets properly and not have to load them for a shorter OAL. My question is will I have a feeding problem because of the longer action? I would be interested if any has already done this. Thanks for your help and time. I appreciate any and all input. Cheers NC
Posted By: woofer Re: Will it work - 04/15/16
Not to bypass your question but swapping bolt heads and a magazine you be into the the 35w for nickels and have as good or better performance. Plus brass. Hope that may help you..

W
Otherwise yes. Smith sets barrel back. Chambers. Threads. Spacer for box mag and tweaking.

W
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Will it work - 04/15/16
Only a one grain capacity advantage to the .350 Remingtion over the Whelen. Maybe he has something else in mind.
Can't imagine giving up any brass notion or whipping it out on the bench for a few bucks .....
Posted By: Deflagrate Re: Will it work - 04/16/16
Go with 358 Norma Magnum and use the whole magazine.
Posted By: woofer Re: Will it work - 04/18/16
Or spend 20 bucks and shoot the whelen... 😅
Posted By: Deflagrate Re: Will it work - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by woofer
Or spend 20 bucks and shoot the whelen... 😅

Why are you throwing common sense into this? We're vicariously spending someone else's money here.
Posted By: woofer Re: Will it work - 04/19/16
Lol. Forgot. Go STA. If your going to build something go big or go home... 😆

W
Posted By: northcountry Re: Will it work - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Go with 358 Norma Magnum and use the whole magazine.

This was my original intent and I still like it the best but was just looking at a light 35 for practice and testing. Thanks everyone for your "input" keep the juices flowing. Cheers NC
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Will it work - 04/30/16
Go with the 358 Norma.
You will surprised at how mild the recoil is. My 700 feels less than a 300 WM or 338 WM in the recoil department. You can still load cast or light 357 pistol bullets for plinking.
Brass is easy as any belted mag will work with a pass thru a FL sizer die. 300 WM will require more effort and trimming. 90% of my brass is necked up 338 WM brass, 10% is 7 RM brass necked up. I had a 350 RM as well as a Whelen. Both are gone and the 358 Norma remains (I also have a 358 WSM).
Posted By: powdr Re: Will it work - 05/03/16
If I lived in Alaska the 358NM would be my main hunting rifle. Mauser CRF w/22in barrel in a Borden or Brown Precision stock. On top I'd have a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss w/duplex and I'd shoot the Nosler 210 and 225gr Partition. But since I live in Texas...I just dream. powdr
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Will it work - 05/07/16
Mine wears a Nikon 4x and shoots 250gr bullets wonderfully (.7" -.9"). It started life as a Whelan.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Will it work - 05/12/16
Reminds me of the time a buddy and I spent 5 days designing a

32 Winchester smile smile smile

Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Will it work - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Reminds me of the time a buddy and I spent 5 days designing a

32 Winchester smile smile smile

IIRC, that was the renowned, legendary, "Inherently Accurate"
Light years ahead of anything similar, and revolutionary ".32 Slivovitz",....No ?

whistle
© 24hourcampfire