Home
Posted By: Sakohunter264 3 position safety - 04/20/16
Anybody installing these on a Remington 700, or have recommendations.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 3 position safety - 04/20/16
Got one, don't know why. I wouldn't do it
Posted By: Jkob Re: 3 position safety - 04/20/16
It will add a nice custom touch to a rifle, and will also add a more positive safety to it. The three position on will block the firing pin, not the trigger. Ed Lapour made them in the past but sold the mfg rights to someone else, can't recall who but should be easy to find out. I have installed a number of them in the past.

Jim
Posted By: Redneck Re: 3 position safety - 04/20/16
I just installed the PTG unit on a M700 yesterday. I had to modify it slightly or else it would fire if the trigger was pulled, THEN taken off safe.. You'd think PTG would allow for a few more thousandths of retraction than that.. Nice unit overall though..
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 3 position safety - 04/20/16
I have a couple with the PT&G units. Reasonable and works.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 3 position safety - 04/21/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Got one, don't know why. I wouldn't do it
RIGHT!!!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 3 position safety - 04/21/16
Originally Posted by Redneck
I just installed the PTG unit on a M700 yesterday. I had to modify it slightly or else it would fire if the trigger was pulled, THEN taken off safe.. You'd think PTG would allow for a few more thousandths of retraction than that.. Nice unit overall though..
The 700 3 position safeties are a walk in the park to install vs. a Mauser; count your blessings.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 3 position safety - 04/22/16
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Redneck
The 700 3 position safeties are a walk in the park to install vs. a Mauser; count your blessings.
I made the decision LONG ago to quit messing with Mausers - one of the better decisions I've ever made.. laugh
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: 3 position safety - 04/23/16
I installed a couple a dozen years ago using the Gentry safety. The key was to make sure that the firing pin would retract an additional. 020" when the safety was engaged. That way the floating connector worked as designed.
Posted By: Deflagrate Re: 3 position safety - 04/23/16
Just buy a Winchester instead of trying to clone one.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 3 position safety - 04/24/16
I have a La Pour 3 pos. safety on my Springfield 1922 M2 and I really like it, Ed is a great guy to do business with.
Posted By: Jkob Re: 3 position safety - 04/24/16
I have installed a number of them, Lapour's are the best. I stay away from Gentry and Dakota because of the reason Redneck gave. Mausers are a bit different but no problem with a little bit extra effort.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 3 position safety - 04/24/16
I agree that they are better if you are talking about keeping the rifle from firing but they are not handier, easier to use nor quieter.

I really like M70s but the safety is my least favorite part. I like a simple, easy to manipulate and quiet safety. Never felt like I was hampered by my factory 700 safeties. I wouldn't put one on a 700 for sure. I would put a better safety on a Mauser simply because the stock safeties don't work with scopes.
Posted By: rickinil Re: 3 position safety - 04/30/16
I always wondered can the 3pos; Safety be done on
the weatherby bolts(6 lug) "06" never really liked
their arrangement but love the gun
© 24hourcampfire