Home
Posted By: 12Oclock recoil lug - 04/30/16
No doubt you have covered this ground before but my search did not turn it up. Remington 700 action- .300 Win Mag- Shilen barrel- going in an HS Pro Series Sporter stock. I am looking at the .250 PTG recoil lug, as it looks like it will fit that lug slot on the HS. Someone posted on another site that the tapered version requires some stock material removal and the parallel version does not. What has been your experience?

mw
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: recoil lug - 04/30/16
I use factory recoil lugs.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: recoil lug - 04/30/16
I too just surface grind the factory.....but IMO, why not bed it if you are going to the trouble of the machine work?
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: recoil lug - 04/30/16
Well I may bed it, finally, but first I will torque it, shoot it, and see if it shoots those little bug holes. If it does I won't. If it still needs work, then I will skim bed it, with Devcon steel bed. I would rather not remove any stock material and since I think the .250 is thick enough to reduce flexing to a minimum I don't know if the tapered version is any better than the parallel version. I have never used anything other than the parallel and had no trouble with bedding them. I just wondered if the tapered version was worth the effort and stock work. thanks.
Posted By: 12Oclock Re: recoil lug - 04/30/16
Oh, by the way I am not going to any trouble doing machine work. I don't own a surface grinder. I am buying a PT&G Lug. Overall its about 15.00 difference in the total build.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: recoil lug - 05/01/16
The tapered ones will come out of your stock easier after its bedded.
© 24hourcampfire