Home
Posted By: shootsacreed What's going on here? - 05/25/16
I have owned my rifle for the past 14 years and until last fall have not had a single issue. Disclaimer i only use factory ammunition. I shot my rifle and the bolt would not open. Took it to the gunsmith and he polished the chamber. Got it back took it to the range fired 6 slow shots bolt wont open. Take it back gunsmith says the handle seperated from the the rest of the bolt welded back in place. Go to the range and it freezes again. Back to the gunsmith and he opens up the chamber a bit. Back to the range and after 3 shots bolt freezes again. I can pull up the handle up but the bolt wont come back. No trouble chambering any of the rounds from the beginning. I'm stumped and apparently so is the smith who I will mention is well respected in the Denver area. What could cause this?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: What's going on here? - 05/25/16
Is it a Winchester model 70?
If so make sure the bolt is fully rotating......the whole bolt including body.
I had this issue last year.
Don't fire it either, it could be the bolt body does not rotate along with the handle.
If that happens you could actually fire it (because it thinks it's in battery) and send the bolt back through your head.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: What's going on here? - 05/25/16
Issue
Posted By: kingston Re: What's going on here? - 05/25/16
Make and model, etc.?
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: What's going on here? - 05/25/16
Is this a specific lot number of ammo that you have used before? Also, I believe that the polishing of the chamber would only increase bolt thrust which would make the problem worse
Posted By: Redneck Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
It would help a ton to know what make/model this rifle is..
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
Remington 700
Posted By: RAN Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
Check to be sure your bolt handle is positioned properly on the bolt. If it was welded on too far back you will have lost primary extraction. The bolt will open but it is not cammed back by the extraction cam on the rear of the receiver bridge ( 10:00 O'clock). Measure the gap between the front of the bolt handle flange and the rear edge of the bridge when the bolt is closed and locked. The closer the better. Max gap of 0.050" is tolerable. If it is near 0.100, you have no appreciable primary extraction to break the fired cartridge case loose.

RAN
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
RAN the bolt would not open or come back on any of the occasions.
Posted By: 1minute Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
Let Remington figure it out.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
+10 but they may say you messed with it and are screwed.

Extraction never a strong suite w/700s but:

Find a different bolt that headspaces correctly (most 700s are within specs interchangable) and try it.

Try different brands of ammo.

Do a chamber cast to see if chamber has defects.

All of these your, "well respected" smith should have already tried.

I'm sure folks on here can suggest a top drawer 700 smith that can analyze and fix your problem.

That's why when it comes to Remington, I stick with 721/2/5 rifles.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
I think I'd stop using that factory ammo and find another smith to look at it.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by popesixtus
Find a different bolt that headspaces correctly (most 700s are within specs interchangable) and try it.

REALLY! shocked

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Play it safe, send it to a reputable 'smith.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: What's going on here? - 05/26/16
Larry Root strikes again. And still wonders why everyone tells him GFY! What a dipchit.
Posted By: Redneck Re: What's going on here? - 05/27/16
Originally Posted by RAN
Check to be sure your bolt handle is positioned properly on the bolt. If it was welded on too far back you will have lost primary extraction. The bolt will open but it is not cammed back by the extraction cam on the rear of the receiver bridge ( 10:00 O'clock). Measure the gap between the front of the bolt handle flange and the rear edge of the bridge when the bolt is closed and locked. The closer the better. Max gap of 0.050" is tolerable. If it is near 0.100, you have no appreciable primary extraction to break the fired cartridge case loose.

RAN
That... The primary extraction cam on the 700 is pretty 'Mickey Mouse', IMHO - compared to other rifles which have a much more beefier system..
Posted By: rockdoc Re: What's going on here? - 05/27/16
Why did he polish the chamber?

Why did he open up the chamber a bit?

If your gunsmith didn't figure this out but fooled with the chamber, time to get another gunsmith.

Handle separated from the bolt and you didn't notice??
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: What's going on here? - 05/27/16
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Why did he polish the chamber?

Why did he open up the chamber a bit?

If your gunsmith didn't figure this out but fooled with the chamber, time to get another gunsmith.

Handle separated from the bolt and you didn't notice??

Pretty amazing to me...
Originally Posted by popesixtus
+10 but they may say you messed with it and are screwed.

Extraction never a strong suite w/700s but:

Try different brands of ammo.

Do a chamber cast to see if chamber has defects.

All of these your, "well respected" smith should have already tried.

I'm sure folks on here can suggest a top drawer 700 smith that can analyze and fix your problem.

That's why when it comes to Remington, I stick with 721/2/5 rifles.

Yeah right, the 700 is so inferior to the 721...
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by RAN

RAN
That... The primary extraction cam on the 700 is pretty 'Mickey Mouse', IMHO - compared to other rifles which have a much more beefier system..

Properly timed it is not a terrible system...
© 24hourcampfire