Home
Posted By: 163bc Husqvarna model 1640 question - 06/20/16
I recently came into one of these rifles in a trade. It is a nice piece that was customized but never fired. It has a Huber trigger with the original safety. I would like to have a 3 position safety installed. I am wondering if anyone knows any smiths that have expierence with these models. Thanks, 163bc
No info to give you on smiths but I'm sure someone will be coming through for you on that. In the meantime, what are your thoughts on the Huber trigger? I have been thinking about one of these for some time. Regards, Bruce
PM jkob, Fire contributor.

He's a Mauser smith and does the swing safety.

DF
Leadminer I've never used a Huber trigger and an really new to mausers. But just trying the trigger out so far it seens fine It is a 2 stage trigger which is somewhat different but not bad. I'll let you know after I fire a few rounds thru it.

DF Thanks for the heads up on jkob
Posted By: Jkob Re: Husqvarna model 1640 question - 06/22/16
Me too

Jim
Any good Mauser mechanic can do that job for you. Ed LaPour, Dave Gentry, and many others.
Jim (jkob) is, first of all, a Fire contributor; secondly, he's a master craftsman and likes Mausers. (All smiths don't do Mauser's). Thirdly, his turnaround is good and his prices are fair.

What's not to like... grin

And yes, he's done work for me in the past and will do so in the future.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Jim (jkob) is, first of all, a Fire contributor; secondly, he's a master craftsman and likes Mausers. (All smiths don't do Mauser's). Thirdly, his turnaround is good and his prices are fair.

What's not to like... grin

And yes, he's done work for me in the past and will do so in the future.

DF

That says a lot right there..
+1

M98 w/ Jim's 2 position safety:
[Linked Image]
Earl,

That looks like a two position safety, the same one I have on my 98. The LaPour and Gentry mentioned earlier are a good bit more expensive and are 3 position.

You can configure the 2 position to not lock the bolt and then it works like a M-700 safety, the newer 700's don't lock the bolt. I've altered my older 700's to not lock the bolt. I like to load and unload on safety.

I'm not sure what the lock down bolt handle accomplishes. I can see the theoretical issue of the bolt handle popping up, stalking thru the bushes. It just isn't a problem for me.

I'm going to work on my 2 position 98 safety so that it no longer locks the bolt. For my tastes, the 3 position safety isn't worth the extra cost. Others may disagree...

Jim Kobe can do either one. BTW, he fitted the Shilen barrel on this 98, safety and bolt handle work was done before I bought the action. Nice work, unknown craftsman.

DF

[Linked Image]
Correction:

They obviously don't work like M-700 safeties. Those block the sear, these lock the striker.

I was trying to say, they work like M-700 safeties in that they lock the bolt handle, but can be altered to not do so as with newer M-700's. Evidently Remington decided locking the bolt handle wasn't a priority. It's not a priority for me.

DF
Yea,it's his 2 position safety. Mainly wanted to show the OP Jim's work. I've got to hurry when I post at certain times of the day because I never know when my server is going to kick me off.

I want to hear morefrom the OP about the Huber trigger. Could use one for my 1640.
© 24hourcampfire