Home
Can a Rem. Model 788, 222 Rem. chamber, be opened up to 223 Rem? Can it be done with out pulling the barrel? Will there be any feeding problems?
Thank You!
Just a simple reamer job.
I think my old Gunsmith charged me $50 bucks..
There are no feed or magazine problems if you change to .223. Mine even shot better groups afterwords.
Why on earth would you do that.
I'm betting because the Ammo is cheaper and a whole lot easier to find.
Yes it can be done. No you can't change the chamber without working on the barrel. No there won't be any issues feeding a slightly longer, but otherwise identical case and cartridge into the same barrel and almost the same chamber you already have......
It would be smart to set the barrel back and re-chamber. Not a big deal, and it will use the same magazine. Perfect time to true up the receiver, recoil lug and bolt face. Have fun.
Recoil lug true up on a 788 may be difficult.
You will be stuck with a 1-14" twist. You will have to stick with the lighter/shorter bullets.
Displaced_Texan: I suggest YOU not "open-up" your Remington 788 in 222 Remington caliber.
Go buy another Remington 788 in 223 Remington.
Best of luck to you with what ever you decide on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Ledgandary accuracy out of that chamfering in a 788....
Easy convention but I'll bet you could find a trade even up for a 223...
My suggestion is learn to reload....
Reaming to 223 was popular in the 70's +/-. But the ones that were not touched are more valuable. You probably could sell your 222 and buy a 223 and have money in hand afterwards.
I wouldn't do it to my 788 in .222 Rem...it's easily the most accurate rifle in my safe.
My buddy in Hawaii still has the 788 .222 I had in high school. I wouldn't rechamber that rifle.
© 24hourcampfire