Home
Posted By: SenderoMan Is this a factory safety? - 07/12/16
Going to install a Timney trigger on this sporterized FN Herstal and the safety looks like a low profile model, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Can anyone tell me if this is a factory or aftermarket safety? Thought I would leave it on as long as it does it's job!

Thanks!

Attached picture IMG_0182.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0183.JPG
Posted By: wtroger Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/12/16
It looks like a Dayton. I have used them on a lot of Mauser. Fairly easy to install. Just requires a small slot to be cut in the bolt shroud.
Thanks! Appreciate the knowledge that is constantly shared on here.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/12/16
Can't remember the term to describe that style, but it is not the original military safety. Some require a little tuning during installation, and yes, Dayton out of Oak Harbor does sell them.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/14/16
Finally came to me. A Buehler style safety.
Thanks for the info! Installing this for a guy and he's concerned about a stick or anything accidentally hitting the safety and moving it to fire mode.

Thought about trying to fabricate a cover on the left side, has anyone does such a thing? I could utilize the screw on top of the bolt release.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/15/16
Having a stick accidentally release the safty is always possible I guess, but is not something I have ever worried about. Since all my hunting rifles have decent stocks on them, I try to avoid dragging them through brush. Maybe if I had tupperware stocks I wouldn't be so careful. I can't see it as a good thing to have to remove a cover to get to the safety though.
That is what I told him, just to be careful and more conscious of the safety. It's for his grandkids so he was concerned. I was thinking more of a shield than a cover, I should be able to get a piece to work.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/22/16
Those safeties ride close to the ocular bell of the scope so bumping it off, while always possible, isn't very likely. No more than bumping off a safety that's attached to the trigger. With kids it's up to us to teach them well.
I agree, he hasn't put the scope on yet and I already told him that it will be a great opportunity to teach the kids about the importance of safety.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/22/16
Agree. No more likely to bump than any other kind of safety. A safety is redundancy anyway. Muzzle control is the primary safety.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/22/16
It looks identical to the one I put on my Siamese Mauser, however mine has "MKII" on the back. While it works, it does not have a detent when in the on position and is easily moved to the off position. With a low scope mounted it is tucked up tight to the ocular bell and somewhat protected. Mine also doesn't positively lock the bolt down, lifting the bolt handle will rotate the safety to the off position.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/22/16
An original Mauser has a safety device built into the firing pin. Once the bolt is moved towards the out of battery position the safety collar is out of alignment with the corresponding relief cuts in the bolt. It can't fire when pulling the trigger. Commercial Mausers are not all so equipped. Safety begins between the ears.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Is this a factory safety? - 07/27/16
I have an Mauser with a safety like that, stamped Mark11 on the back
© 24hourcampfire