Home
Last fall while hunting in some brush my semi auto Ruger 44 carbine picked up a nasty 3" scratch in the walnut stock. The scratch is through the finish and just barely into the walnut. The underlying walnut is lighter colored than the finished.

What is the proper method to repair or hide this?

405wcf
PM Sitka. powdr
Sitka,

If you don't mind I'd like to see your answer posted here.
A clear close up pic of the scratch would be very helpful.
sand paper and Tru-oil
Originally Posted by bea175
sand paper and Tru-oil

About my last choice for a Ruger stock...

Originally Posted by 405wcf
Last fall while hunting in some brush my semi auto Ruger 44 carbine picked up a nasty 3" scratch in the walnut stock. The scratch is through the finish and just barely into the walnut. The underlying walnut is lighter colored than the finished.

What is the proper method to repair or hide this?

405wcf

Like Gnoahhh said a picture good and tight on the scratch would help a lot. I have fixed quite a few by wetting, heating, and rolling down the ridges and edges.

Holes in the wood can be filled with cyanoacrylate glue. Drop it with a toothpick in tiny lifts to reduce leveling issues. Avoid getting it on the stock.

Ruger uses a lot of color in their finishes, but the CA glue usually darkens it enough to erase any issue.

Thanks Sitka.
Here is the damage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll try to get this right!

[Linked Image]
A little color on the bare wood and then fill the scratches with water-thin CA. It will take a little messing to keep from making a mess. Do not sand first.

After all segments are full and cured go over it very carefully with a very fine, flat file. It may take a couple attempts to get all segments of the scratch filled and flat.

A coat of wax should hide the work.
What do you recommend for color?
Any reddish-brown walnut stain will work fine.

put it on in light "lifts" and gradually sneak up on the right color.
I now have a weekend project!
Thanks for the help!

405wcf
Try steaming first. Sometimes it helps a little on scratches, especially where the wood has been pressed in. Only sand as a last resort.
© 24hourcampfire