Home
I have an extra short action lying around so I picked up a 308 takeoff from here on the fire. After screwing the barrel on I find the bolt wont close on a round (maybe .010 short).
Can I just use a finish reamer and go-no go guages to make it work, or am I missing something else.
Thanks Butch
what type of action?
I'd run a go/no go test on it before I did anything.
It's a short action 700 Remington.
Originally Posted by captbutch
I have an extra short action lying around so I picked up a 308 takeoff from here on the fire. After screwing the barrel on I find the bolt wont close on a round (maybe .010 short).
Can I just use a finish reamer and go-no go guages to make it work, or am I missing something else.
Thanks Butch
If it's a Rem action the bolt nose might first becoming in contact with the bolt rim and/or the recess. Check that first, THEN measure headspace.

But if it closes on an empty chamber, then you need a finish reamer and gauges.
Thanks Redneck

The bolt closes fine without a round in the chamber.
So I should be able to just ream to specs?

If I back the barrel out a quarter turn It will close on a round.
I don't have the guages or reamer yet..
Thanks Redneck

I don't have the guages or reamer yet..
You'll need both.. smile

1/4 turn is nearly .017 of thread depth. So your chamber will need that, at least, and maybe another .003, depending on your gauges.. Got a lathe handy?
Originally Posted by Redneck
Thanks Redneck

I don't have the gauges or reamer yet..

You'll need both.. smile

1/4 turn is nearly .017 of thread depth. So your chamber will need that, at least, and maybe another .003, depending on your gauges.. Got a lathe handy?

I do have a lathe. Will I have to relieve the breech end of the barrel also?

Actually it's only about an eighth of a turn (just checked again) maybe .010 between lug and receiver.

Thanks Butch
You shouldn't have to relieve the breech (assuming you've installed the barrel on tight). If so, it's just a matter of reaming the chamber tighter..

Oh, and ensure you remove the ejector first before reaming - to make sure you don't get a false reading - and I place the gauge on the bolt body before insertion to take away any possibility that the extractor hangs it up..

FWIW.
Thanks for the help Redneck!
I think I just discovered the problem though..
The recoil lug mic'd at .179, I believe it's supposed be .187 correct?
I have another recoil lug that I installed and now the bolt will close on a cartridge with a snug fit (not tight, but snug).
I'm thinking it's good to go. You?
That should work - for a while.. But keep in mind you might get a batch of brass (or shells) a thou or two over.. Then what?

I'd still at least try a GO gauge and see what happens.. I usually chamber a barrel to allow the bolt to just close on the GO..

FWIW.
Originally Posted by Redneck
That should work - for a while.. But keep in mind you might get a batch of brass (or shells) a thou or two over.. Then what?

I'd still at least try a GO gauge and see what happens.. I usually chamber a barrel to allow the bolt to just close on the GO..

FWIW.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've ordered a set and will check it for sure!
Thanks again for your help! Butch
Just an update..Put it all together, mounted scope, dropped into LVSF stock. Worked perfect! Even shot pretty good! [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
I'd rent a finish reamer.

Alternatively, you can buy over thickness recoil lugs. But I'd rent a reamer.
Looks good! I see you wasted no time putting the stock to good use. 🙂
I just rented a finish reamer for $40. bucks with a $200. deposit.
© 24hourcampfire