Home
Posted By: 1911a1 repointing checkering ? - 08/18/16
In the past I have used some Dem-Bart checkering tools to restore checkering. Well the cutters are wore out now and Brownells is out of stock of the fine single line I need.

I was searching the subject here on the fire and came across using a riffler file to point up checkering. The description in the Brownells catalog makes it sound like a nice tool. Its expensive about 30 something bucks but would I be better served using this tool?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: repointing checkering ? - 08/18/16
A riffler will work for that, but it's easy to roll it from side to side thus making the diamonds lopsided. Go slow. I usually just use a riffler to get into tight corners and the like. Also, I set up one of my cutters to cut on the backstroke, so as to pull the line away from the border rather than push into it which can lead to over-runs. A riffler won't do that.

I heard Dem-Bart was on the way out. Maybe that's true. I'm glad I had the foresight to stock up on cutters when I did. Perhaps soon I'll have to switch brands, but I started with Dem-Bart many years ago and hate to change, even though there are better systems out there.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: repointing checkering ? - 08/18/16
Actually I like the riffler or a bent file better for finishing up. I get sharper, more polished diamonds with the fine cut of a file. Would hate to see Dembart vanish too though I don't foresee much checkering in my future.

Good point about rolling side to side. You need to be careful and not to rush the job. Multiple shallow passes allow you to even sides up.
Posted By: msinc Re: repointing checkering ? - 08/24/16
I got one of those files back when I first started checkering and I didn't like it. One of those companies makes a single point cutting too out of tungsten carbide. It doesn't get dull, at least not cutting wood. It is expensive, but it cuts really good and lasts a long time. Mine has been in use for over 10 years.
© 24hourcampfire