Home
Posted By: Spanokopitas Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/10/16
I'm thinking on buying this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181919707101?ul_noapp=true

Problem is it is 1700 miles from home. Talked with the owner and he was very forthcoming. I trust him and believe it to be as represented.

Comments and advice please.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/10/16
Can only comment, that's a nice looking piece of equipment! I'd be one happy camper with that in my shop.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/10/16

What do you think on the price? I offered 7k and he came back with 7.8k.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/10/16
Well, just a quick glance shows four other 10EE's priced $12.5K to $29.5K so he's not out of the ballpark. I didn't compare feature for feature, but the condition of the one you're looking at looks pretty nice. The logistics of transporting it is sure to add to the price, but it looks like he has the capabilities to load it correctly though.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/11/16
Well cared for lathe but the short bed and small spindle bore will limit the usefulness as far as a gunsmithing lathe at least when it comes to barrel work. A great value for the asking price but a more useful lathe can be had for half the price. If it's what you like then go for it.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/11/16
What was said about spindle bore size and length of the bed.

It all depends on what you plan to do with it.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/11/16
~ 2001 Seattle public works put out in the parking lot a lathe just like that [sans new paint] to be scrapped. I posted on rec.crafts.metalworking and a guy showed up to save it.. just minutes after it went to the scrap yard.
Seattle replaced the Monarch with a Jet lathe.

Two years ago I saw a mill on ebay I wanted, but it was local pickup only. It cost me $2k in shipping and took a month of phone calls and hassles.

What does it all mean?
Each time you get a new piece of heavy equipment, it is like getting divorced to marry someone else.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/11/16
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Well cared for lathe but the short bed and small spindle bore will limit the usefulness as far as a gunsmithing lathe at least when it comes to barrel work. A great value for the asking price but a more useful lathe can be had for half the price. If it's what you like then go for it.

I have a 13x36 Clausing/Colchester for big stuff. I'm just a hobby machinist and don't intend to make any real money. I just do small jobs for friends and neighbors usually for trade or free.

We are at $7,800.00 now with me to pay the freight. I have a trucker friend that could haul it for about $600.00
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/11/16
Well, I've had a 10EE for a while. A good one is well worth the money. Mine came with a lot more tooling and other misc. tooling and parts. Is it a WIAD or what year is it? Remember some models have old time tubes and electronics. Some of the tubes are almost unattainable and are in the $200-$400 range if you find used ones. I was lucky and received an extra set of tubes. Parts are readily available and expensive. There is still a Monarch USA company. Go to The Practical Machinest forum and they have a very big active forum on Monarch lathes. A lot of very knowledgeable people are on it.
PM me if you need a lead on one. I personally think he is a couple or $3,000 high.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/12/16

Thanks for the tip you gave me on the Texas machine. Still waiting to hear back from him.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/12/16
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Well, I've had a 10EE for a while. A good one is well worth the money. Mine came with a lot more tooling and other misc. tooling and parts. Is it a WIAD or what year is it? Remember some models have old time tubes and electronics. Some of the tubes are almost unattainable and are in the $200-$400 range if you find used ones. I was lucky and received an extra set of tubes. Parts are readily available and expensive. There is still a Monarch USA company. Go to The Practical Machinest forum and they have a very big active forum on Monarch lathes. A lot of very knowledgeable people are on it.
PM me if you need a lead on one. I personally think he is a couple or $3,000 high.

If it hasn't been converted to a VFD, and still has those tubes, I'd avoid the thing, myself. Those tubes, and other parts are in the same price league as the Hardinge stuff.

Gunwizard never learned how to fit a spider to a tailstock, and indicate both ends, apparently.

....the 1 13/32 spindle bore's pretty skookum for most blanks, and can be opened up to an honest 1.5, with a little toolroom savvy.

GTC

Posted By: Woodhits Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/12/16
Assuming that the spindle bore is sufficiently large enough to chamber through the headstock for the barrels you'll want to use, it concerns me that the headstock might be too long to do so. I don't see that dimension on the list of specs but I would certainly check and don't forget to add the additional room for a spider.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/12/16
One of the finest tool room lathes ever made. Rock solid and a joy to use. The downside is depending on the year the variable speed drive can be an incredibly complex and expensive unit to deal with.

Not the best choice for chambering barrels as mentioned due to the short bed length, relatively small headstock bore and long headstock length. But if you can deal with the shortcomings, you'll love it.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/12/16
The 10EE that I recommended to him is much newer than mine. It is called a modular machine Mine is a WIAD unit. Mine runs perfectly and I'm lucky to have extra tubes if they are ever needed. The only way you can chamber in the headstock is to machine precision bushings to fit in the spindle to slide your barrel blank into. I don't use mine for chambering and the OP has a lathe already that will work great for chambering.
Greg, if you have a good one, it will last you a lifetime. They are heavy, extremely accurate, and can make a heavy cut. The variable speed drive will allow mine to go from around 40rpm to 4000 rpm with full torque. They come with 50 millionths bearings in the headstock.
The Practical Machinest has a great forum on these machines and a tremendous amount of knowledge for anybody that needs any kind of help.
I believe Monarch will make your old machine like new for around $80,000.

Just closed the deal with Uncle Bill. Check in the mail tomorrow.
Posted By: kingston Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/12/16
Good score. The 10EE is a very desirable lathe.

Won't know until it gets here. But I think I got a fair deal and the seller the same. Time will tell.

Any truckers here wanting to haul 3,700lbs from Texas to Oregon? I pay cash.
Posted By: pullit Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/15/16
Something I saw in the description does not seem right. He says the thru hole in the head stock is 1 13/32" but has a #2 Morse taper. The large end of a #2 is only .700 of an inch. That seems like a small taper for the head stock. Most lathes have a #5.
I will be the first to say I have run a lot of different lathes in my life, but have never had a chance to run a 10EE.

One last note, I am looking for a lathe myself and found one in CA that I am thinking about. I was quoted $550 to truck it all the way to TN. You might shop around a little on freight.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/17/16
If the spindle bore is too small to let a barrel blank fit thru it indicating with spiders is a moot point. Shows how little you know mister expert, I learned how to indicate parts using spiders when you were still pooping in your pants.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/17/16
Is that pullet like a chicken? "Chuckle". A 10EE measures 27" from a faceplate to the end of the spindle. If you manufactured a cathead for both ends of the spindle, I believe would put a 28" blank flush on both ends if you were lucky. A 1.375 barrel blank will fit in the spindle. I believe the #2 Morse is the tailstock taper, it ain't the taper in the headstock as a 5C collet wouldn't work. All 10EE will use the 5C collets.

Pullit, I'm just kidding about the chicken.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/18/16
I use precision bushings when chambering short barrels in my lathe. I have quite a few but still have to make new ones all the time.
Posted By: pullit Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/20/16
Butch,
No problem, I am not that thin shinned....lol
I use that name because of all the skeet, sporting clay, and trap I shoot.

The reason I posted what I did is here is his description:

Hole throught spindle=1 13/32 ID
Headstock center taper=#2 Morse

I agree, most headstocks have a #5 MT in them, but that is what he posted so I had to ask
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/20/16
Originally Posted by pullit
Butch,
No problem, I am not that thin shinned....lol
I use that name because of all the skeet, sporting clay, and trap I shoot.

The reason I posted what I did is here is his description:

Hole throught spindle=1 13/32 ID
Headstock center taper=#2 Morse

I agree, most headstocks have a #5 MT in them, but that is what he posted so I had to ask

I understand. Just ribbing you a little. I was visiting with a friend, Britt Robinson, a couple days ago and we chuckled over it a bit. Britt said he had used that word about a million times.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/20/16
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I use precision bushings when chambering short barrels in my lathe. I have quite a few but still have to make new ones all the time.

Hey, Dennis,.....IIRC, you are getting dead nuts results, working through the spindle, per above on your Monarch, Eh ?

GTC
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/20/16
Originally Posted by pullit
Something I saw in the description does not seem right. He says the thru hole in the head stock is 1 13/32" but has a #2 Morse taper. The large end of a #2 is only .700 of an inch. That seems like a small taper for the head stock. Most lathes have a #5.
I will be the first to say I have run a lot of different lathes in my life, but have never had a chance to run a 10EE.

One last note, I am looking for a lathe myself and found one in CA that I am thinking about. I was quoted $550 to truck it all the way to TN. You might shop around a little on freight.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

10EE's take 5C collets, so definately not a 2mt in the headstock. The headstock is a No.12 Jarno, the tailstock is a 2mt. Monarchs seem overbuilt compared to many similar sized lathes.

Shipping can be a killer, but if your budget shipper damages your lathe in transport it won't be such a bargain.

Posted By: pal Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/20/16
I've received fair pricing from Freight Pros on stuff like diesel engines and lighter shop machines, as long as I picked it up at the depot. My own lathe and mill were fairly local purchases for which I hired a professional machinery mover with the right equipment.

For extreme precision, a tool-room lathe like this (the OP's 10EE), or a Hardinge chucker, would seem a very desirable addition to your "big" lathe.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/21/16
Pray tell, what are we looking at in the photo?
Posted By: pal Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/21/16
We're looking at my ancient Index Super55 vertical mill and 12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe being delivered by a professional machinery rigger. Paid $2k for the pair with quite a lot of lathe tooling included, but very little mill tooling. The ~16-mile move cost ~$600 IIRC but was a fascinating experience to watch.

Edit to add that by "tool-room lathe like this", in my first post, I was referring to the 10EE, not my Logan. I'll correct that post to clear this up.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/21/16
It's not "if" you will have to service that variable speed drive on that Logan,....it's gonna' be when, particularly if it's been sitting for years..

Tread lightly, and be sure to double up your pullers and "restraint" devices before unwinding the counter opposed springs.

Edited to add, there ain't a thing in the world wrong with that old mill, either, a actually envy the thing.

Luck,

GTC

Posted By: gunswizard Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/21/16
The Logan lathe if well tooled wasn't a bad buy, the Index mill on the other had is about as club footed a vertical mill as ever was made. Not even in the same class as a Bridgeport and awkward at best to use.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/21/16
How many years since your keel was laid, anyway,
....oh Wisest of the wise ?

GTC
Posted By: pal Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/21/16
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
...there ain't a thing in the world wrong with that old mill, either, a actually envy the thing.

Luck,

GTC

Thanks. It is contraption. But is my first mill, so I don't know the difference. I'll attach photos of my very first part I made on it, this past year--an end fitting for a 4" sailboat boom, to my own design. I made everything but the (2) off the shelf plastic sheaves. To prevent the stainless axle from turning, its cap sits in a milled recess and is press fitted onto the axle, then tig welded. A machine screw retains it.

Heard a story about a machinist dying and being revived. He said he kept following a blinding light down this unbelievably long white corridor. When he finally got to the end he saw God running his Index mill. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Monarch 10EE Lathe - 09/22/16
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The Logan lathe if well tooled wasn't a bad buy, the Index mill on the other had is about as club footed a vertical mill as ever was made. Not even in the same class as a Bridgeport and awkward at best to use.

I have a couple Bridgeports, but I will not throw rocks at an Index.
© 24hourcampfire