Home
Who should I use to repair my broken bolt handle? Got an older model 700 ADL in mint condition other than the previous owner broke the bolt handle off. Can it be repaired to look like it was never broken, and who do I send it to?

Thanks

HeavyBarrel
Dan at Accu-TIG.

http://www.accu-tig.com/
Can he re-blue to look like original?

HeavyBarrel
+1 on Dan. I've used him many times.
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel

Bluing is not the only issue. The TIG weld beads would have to be filed/milled to have the appearance of the original.

Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel

No.
Remington said $300 to fit new bolt, $275 to repair old bolt with new re- blue and re-jewel, $150 to repair old bolt with re-blue only, heat will mess up jeweling.

Trying to reach Dan now with Accu-Tig.

Any other options?

HeavyBarrel
Buy a new 1 piece bolt from PT&G...... hell of a lot better than the factory bolt. They have some Remington factory bolts on sale too!!

www.pacifictoolandgauge.com
A few pics of Dan's work.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grandsons Rem. 600
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/xpbzhh.jpg[/img]

A lot of photos and some not Remington, but you can see the quality of his work. He is inexpensive, very quick, and very talented.

www.accu-tig.com

Unless the goal is to restore the rifle to an original appearance, there are other handles that Dan can weld on.

I never liked the factory 700 handle functionally or aesthetically.

So I had Dan knock off the original and TIG on a Holland. Always liked the early Win M70 handle and the Holland has a similar look and feel.

[Linked Image]

Talked to Dan this evening and sending him bolt tomorrow.

Thanks

HeavyBarrel
Would it pay to send him a 788 bolt and have it TIGed to prevent it from failing (maybe) or just wait and see if I ever get that "Ham Fisted".
Originally Posted by LouisB
Would it pay to send him a 788 bolt and have it TIGed to prevent it from failing (maybe) or just wait and see if I ever get that "Ham Fisted".

You might contact Dan about the work considered. I did not see anything on his website regarding work on M788 bolts.

My understanding is that it is not trivial to do any kind of welding on the 788 bolt without inadvertently annealing the very close by locking lugs and could require a subsequent heat treatment.

I have a M788 that is strictly a range toy so have a glancing interest in what you might find out.

Originally Posted by LouisB

If it aint broke...
There's ways to tig a 788 bolt without heating the lugs up
Rem 788 bolt Lug heat treat isn't an issue, as I purge every bolt body during the TIG welding operation.

The firing pin assy is required w/shipment.

If the handle was molested by anyone attempting to re-silver braze or MIG weld the handle----I'll pass---you now have junk in hand.

Originally Posted by Dans40X
Rem 788 bolt Lug heat treat isn't an issue, as I purge every bolt body during the TIG welding operation.

The firing pin assy is required w/shipment.

If the handle was molested by anyone attempting to re-silver braze or MIG weld the handle----I'll pass---you now have junk in hand.

You got that right, will only fix the one that's have been left alone. Tig welding is the only way to fix this weak link in the 788.
© 24hourcampfire