Home
Posted By: Steven60 Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
I've got a Brno Mauser with a really ugly bolt handle that I want replaced. I have a new bolt handle, bolt handle jig, bolt body heat sink and heat sink paste. My son is a welder (certified, I think). Is this a good chore for him, or should I have a regular gunsmith do it? Also, is MIG or acetylene welding preferred for jobs like this?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
I would not acetylene weld,( although I have done it). Too much heat compared to mig or tig. A good cover gas will prevent a lot of splatter vs a flux cored wire.

Do you have files, etc. to finish the job off after welding?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Saddlesore has some good advice. To the OP, make sure your son is proficient with welding small parts. I've seen some guys say they are "welders" and fall flat on their face when it came to welding some things... Good luck with it, I hope it turns out great, whichever route you take....
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Saddlesore has some good advice. To the OP, make sure your son is proficient with welding small parts. I've seen some guys say they are "welders" and fall flat on their face when it came to welding some things... Good luck with it, I hope it turns out great, whichever route you take....

Micro-tig...
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Micro-tig
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Tig, haven't gas welded a bolt handle since they came outbwith tig.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Ah hell, getcha a big ol cutting torch and go to it.
I actually wonder if silver solder would work?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by Nessmuk

I actually wonder if silver solder would work?

Work on 700 bolts most of the time, seen them come off too.
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Do you have files, etc. to finish the job off after welding?

I've got the stuff to finish it up once it's welded. Thanks to all for the advice.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
No question micro-tig is the way to go.
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
Just don't send it to Dan, what ever his name is, in Alaska. I sent him mine because he had a quick turnaround. Some said two days. Well he's had mine over a month and my gunsmith is waiting on...you guessed it, the bolt. powdr
Posted By: szihn Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/07/17
I have been welding them on with gas for 50 years.

So I say---- TIG!

Yes it's possible to do an excellent job with gas and yes all the old classics made in the 20s 30 and 40s were gas welded. BUT
TIG is a far better way to go. It takes a long time to become a real skilled gas welder, and only a short time to get good with TIG
TIG is also good in that if you make mistakes you can drill them out and fill them easily.

You can drill them out and gas weld too, but not easily.

And when it's all done a good highschool level TIG welder does as good a job as I do with my torch and doesn't need years of practice to get those good welds.

So............TIG
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/08/17
My son has his own TIG welder, so it ought to be pretty straightforward for him. By the way, if I recall rightly, "MIG" stands for "Metal Inert Gas" and "TIG" stands for "Tungsten Inert Gas"? Why tungsten? Aren't there all sorts of different alloy wire available to match/complement what's being welded?
Posted By: Dustylongshot Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/08/17
Tungsten is the electrode and doesn't melt. You hand feed the filler material.

Tig is all that I use.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/08/17
Send it to Dan www.accu-tig.com powder, what did Dan say when you called him back? Never had a problem with quality, price, or time. I've never had a problem getting in touch with Dan.
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/08/17
Butch, I was going to call him Monday. He seemed like a nice enough fellow when I did talk to him. I know I sent it during the holiday season from Texas to Alaska...can't get much further than that but he hasn't answered my 2 emails. I hate to call a guy during working hours. Most like to be called at the end of the day or evening so not to be disturbed. powdr
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/08/17
Originally Posted by powdr
Butch, I was going to call him Monday. He seemed like a nice enough fellow when I did talk to him. I know I sent it during the holiday season from Texas to Alaska...can't get much further than that but he hasn't answered my 2 emails. I hate to call a guy during working hours. Most like to be called at the end of the day or evening so not to be disturbed. powdr

Remember the time difference. I have always called.
Posted By: las Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/10/17
There's your problem.. Youse are Texans, and we'uns are 'Lascans!!! smile
)
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/10/17
Silly not East coast peoples.
Posted By: GunLoony88 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/11/17
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Send it to Dan www.accu-tig.com powder, what did Dan say when you called him back? Never had a problem with quality, price, or time. I've never had a problem getting in touch with Dan.

I've used Dan as well, did a great job!
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/15/17
Just don't send it to Dan, what ever his name is, in Alaska. I sent him mine because he had a quick turnaround. Some said two days. Well he's had mine over a month and my gunsmith is waiting on...you guessed it, the bolt. powdr

Powdr,

Did this ever get resolved?

The one bolt handle I had Dan weld for me was done correctly and returned within the expected turnaround time.

Moreover, never have seen any complaint posts regarding Accu-TIG prior to yours.
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/18/17
Carbon, he kept it exactly one month and sent it back not done. He said that I had made some negative comments about him on the forum and that he would not do it. I did say not to send it to him after waiting 3 weeks w/no word from him. I'm going to follow Butch Lambert and anyone else that recommends him around and tell my story as long as I'm on this board. I'm going to make my story known. I may not cost him any business but I'm damn sure going to try. That SOB is not the only man in America that can weld on a bolt. Two day service my ass. powdr
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/19/17
powdr, I don't know why you had a problem as most of us has had very good luck. I have not a clue why you seem to think I'm the source of your problems. You can check all my post on the subject. My only suggestion was for you to call him. I haven't had contact with him in 2-3 months.I'm sorry that you feel the way you do, but I did not appreciate your crude PM to me. You had no reason at all to do that.
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/19/17
Hell, you idiot...Dan told me it was you. Of course since both of you are liars it wouldn't surprise me for Dan to come on the fire and say he never said any such thing. powdr
Carbon 12, I've had two fire members contact me in he last couple of days with like stories. One from California said Dan sent his bolt back to him and said he refused to work on anybody's stuff from California. How's that for an honorable man. He and Butch thought they'd teach me a lesson and I'd just cow down to them. Hell, Butch would have you think he's the only man in America that can weld a bolt on. powdr
Posted By: Craigster Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/19/17
Had a similar experience with Dan Accu-TIG in the past. Don't know, maybe he didn't like the way I part my hair.
Well Carbon 12, there's at least 4 unhappy customers. Not unhappy w/the work cause he didn't do any! He's a waste of time and money plus he wants to tell you what you want.powdr
Posted By: 9point3 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by gemby58
Tig, haven't gas welded a bolt handle since they came outbwith tig.

76 years is impressive
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/20/17
Carbon 12, I've had two fire members contact me in he last couple of days with like stories. One from California said Dan sent his bolt back to him and said he refused to work on anybody's stuff from California. How's that for an honorable man. He and Butch thought they'd teach me a lesson and I'd just cow down to them. Hell, Butch would have you think he's the only man in America that can weld a bolt on. powdr

You are a sick kid!
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/20/17
Dan at Accu-Tig did a great job on my Zastava Mini Mauser great service and timely.
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/20/17
You really want people to think that Butch, cause it makes you look better. Poor old Craig must be sick too. powdr
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/21/17
That SOB is not the only man in America that can weld on a bolt. powdr

Who did you find to do your bolt handle, what did it cost, turnaround time and how did it come out?

Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/21/17
I've had Steve Heilmann do bolt work for me. I've never seen anything so perfect.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/21/17
powdr powdr powdr,
Until this thread appeared I have had no dealings with you in my 13+years on this forum. I suggested that you call Dan about your problem. My first notice of any problem was your crude and profane PM to me. You're crying and whining from probably being less than a man talking to Dan. I don't know as I wasn't privileged to know your conversation.
I may have posted things that some may have differed with some people, but I don't lie.
You just need to get your pink panties out of the wad and man up to what really happened. The stage is yours and if you insist on whining more, go for it kid.
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/21/17
I'm having it done as we speak Carbon 12 by a professional. The price is confidential and the entire rifle will be returned to me within the week. powdr
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/24/17
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I've had Steve Heilmann do bolt work for me. I've never seen anything so perfect.

I've used Steve as well, his work is flawless.
Posted By: Dans40X Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/25/17
powdr,
You are the lying SOB in this post.
You made the assumption that Butch informed me of your post here-DO NOT ASSUME.

1 'phone call from you Dec 8,2016.
12 days later bolt arrives.
Your note w/ bolt stated you did not understand any questions asked-I have the note-need a copy!

3 weeks later your bolt/payment & $10 bill to cover your postage are returned w/bolt since most of my questions went over your head.

Same w/ the Craigster's bolt.

No e-mails,No 'phone calls until your bolt was already in route back to you.

It is Not my rifle/Not my decision to configure your bolt/handle.

I can't fix STUPIDity!!!!
Posted By: powdr Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/26/17
No Dan, you're the lyingest SOB in all of Alaska. You kept my bolt exactly one month to the day. I sent you 3 emails during that time and I have them also. You sent it back not done. You don't have to say that Butch didn't call cause he's the only SOB dumb enough to take up for you on this board. You're a shallow and hateful man. I wish you nothing but continued troubles w/your lying ass. You keep fixin them your way and eventually you'll be out of a job. No customer service from you... just plain lying dumb ass pranks. You're a sorry Bastard. Hell you ain't the only guy in the world that can weld on a bolt. You think posting here is going to make it easier on your boy but you just made it worse. powdr
Posted By: Craigster Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/26/17
Dans40x accu-tig,

I still have, somewhere here, the note you sent with my returned bolt, saying you couldn't/wouldn't work on any stuff from CA. I was going to try and find it, scan it, and post it here. But I'll refrain, and save you the embarrassment. Besides, I've got better things to do.

Thanks for the memories.

GFY

Posted By: Jkob Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/27/17
After all this, I wouldn't even consider doing any work for those guys, it don't pay!
Posted By: greydog Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/27/17
"I hate to call a guy during working hours. Most like to be called at the end of the day or evening so not to be disturbed"
Yeah, nothing I like better than to be called as I sit down at the table or have just kicked back in the old recliner. Calls on weekends and holidays are great too.
I'm sure TIG is by far the best way to go but, since I am retired, I won't weld enough bolts in the future to bother with it so I'll keep using gas or MIG. GD
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Welding bolt handle - 01/27/17
No Dan, you're the lyingest SOB in all of Alaska. You kept my bolt exactly one month to the day. I sent you 3 emails during that time and I have them also. You sent it back not done. You don't have to say that Butch didn't call cause he's the only SOB dumb enough to take up for you on this board. You're a shallow and hateful man. I wish you nothing but continued troubles w/your lying ass. You keep fixin them your way and eventually you'll be out of a job. No customer service from you... just plain lying dumb ass pranks. You're a sorry Bastard. Hell you ain't the only guy in the world that can weld on a bolt. You think posting here is going to make it easier on your boy but you just made it worse. powdr

Chuckle chuckle chuckle, you must have some great whiskey!
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Welding bolt handle - 02/07/17
I had Dan build up a Mexican Mauser extractor claw, he did a first class job, good price, and speedy return. I would definitely do business with him again.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Welding bolt handle - 02/09/17
It may be legitimate to publically report a personal perception of poor service.

But the use ad hominem arguments to do so seems a bit much.
Ad hominem argument is shifting an argument or discussion from the point being discussed to the personality of the opponent by attacking the opponent's reputation and moral character, or referring to low intelligence, inferior social position, lack of education, or other perceived social or personal shortcomings. It is most often used when the original argument is poor at best, or not legitimate at worst. It should be enough to just state the facts - such as " I sent my item to this place and it took this long to get it back, which was this many days longer than promised". People can make up their own mind if they think it was poor service.

And vindictiveness is definitely excessive. To publically state an intention to hurt another person's business or livelihood because of perceived poor service may even be tortious.

How do I know all of this? Because I foolishly was like that myself.

© 24hourcampfire