Home
Posted By: RevMike Gunsmithing as Personal Hobby - 03/28/17
If you were going to do light - very light - gunsmithing as a hobby, just on your personal guns with no intention of going into business, how would you go about it learning the trade, especially if there is no trade-school even remotely close? I'm just curious as my wife told me that I'm going to have to find a hobby when retirement rolls around, and I always thought I might like to get back to doing a bit of what I did in college (worked with a gunsmith in a gunshop in the Pensacola area).

Thanks.

RM
If you like Mausers, get a copy of Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual for them for starters. Good stuff that has helped me change barrels, install safeties, etc.

I bet his other Shop Manuals are pretty good info on working on their subject matter as well.
That depends.

What kind of guns (shotguns, pistols, or rifles).

If you are into accurizing rifles there are a few schools by gunsmiths on accurizing them that are IMO well worth doing.

http://www.gordysgunsmithshop.com/classesschools.html

I took multiple ones from Gordy, now the only thing I send out for is re-barreling, the rest I can do. I met gunsmiths from around the world in his classes. Check out his site, he is one of the better if not top bench rest gunsmiths out there - he's got multiple winning rifles out there.

Plus you get to eat KC BBQ if you come up here to take the classes.

Spot

Posted By: RWE Re: Gunsmithing as Personal Hobby - 03/28/17
I think MCC in North Carolina has short courses you can take.

here's 2017 list for example

https://www.montgomery.edu/147-nra/715-2017-nra-schedule
Thanks, all.

It would be just simple stuff: maybe buying an old HVA every once in a while, fixing and refinishing the wood, bedding, etc. As I said, this would be something just to keep me busy, and then enjoy the results.

I don't bird hunt as much as I used to, and I have virtually no interest in handguns, so it would mostly be limited to light work on rifles.

Again, thanks for the links and suggestions.

RM
For me, I learn by reading about it then trying it. I've been tinkering with guns since the '60's.

Yep, I'm even older than ingwe... blush

Just not by much... shocked

Like posted earlier, fitting barrels is about the only thing I send out. Well, maybe bluing/coatings/fluting, etc.

I enjoy working on guns, getting results that suit what I'm trying to accomplish. There's a lot of satisfaction in that.

DF
Ingwe cut his teeth on matchlocks.

There is a lot of metal work I'm not up to, but I wouldn't mind learning how to do small repairs, as well as (re)shape stocks and fit pads. There are a lot of old HVA 9.3x57s around that are in decent condition, just waiting to be reworked - mostly stress cracks fixed - and refinished. What I don't want to do is wind up "bubba-ing" them, thus the question about some level of training, even if it's just youtube videos and books. I have a lot of space to set up a workshop - we have an RV garage behind our house - and that will keep me out of my wife's hair. And, as I said, it think it's something I might enjoy returning to after so many years away from it.

RM
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
That depends.

What kind of guns (shotguns, pistols, or rifles).

If you are into accurizing rifles there are a few schools by gunsmiths on accurizing them that are IMO well worth doing.

http://www.gordysgunsmithshop.com/classesschools.html

I took multiple ones from Gordy, now the only thing I send out for is re-barreling, the rest I can do. I met gunsmiths from around the world in his classes. Check out his site, he is one of the better if not top bench rest gunsmiths out there - he's got multiple winning rifles out there.

Plus you get to eat KC BBQ if you come up here to take the classes.

Spot

+1 for Gordy. I attended his "Extreme Accuracy Chambering" class when he was still in Pella, IA. Well worth it. I've talked to Gordy on occasion. Especially when I need to clarify the notes I took during class or something he depicted in the DVD he provides to attendees.
Midway's Larry Potterfield has an excellent series of gunsmithing videos on You Tube. He walks you thru many of the simpler and some not so simple gunsmithing jobs.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Gunsmithing as Personal Hobby - 03/28/17
you might pick up a few of the gunsmith kinks books from brownells. some good imformation mixed in with the humor.

Ed
You can learn all you need to know about stock work from quite a few books. I did and now I have made several stocks for my own rifles and shotguns and a few for friends. Includng checkering.Plus it doesn't take much in the way of tools.

When there were a lot of inexpensive military rifles around, I sportarized quite a few .I don't have access to a machine shop now.Lathes and milling machines get pricey and usually don't include tooling which will slim down your wallet too.

Following are some books that will help a lot with gun smithing. A lot of it does not involve milling and a lathe

Three volumes of Brownells Gunsmith Kinks" that have a lot of info in them.
NRA Gunsmithing Guide,
NRA Firearms Assmbly 3,
NRA Firearms Assembly 4,
Wolfe's Gunsmithing Tips and Projects,
Edward A. Matunas's Practical Gunsmithing
Frank De Haas's, Bolt Action Rifles,
J.B Wood's GunDigest Book of Firearms Assemby and Dissaembly, Part IV, Centerfire Rifles

Those will get you about everything you need to do some heavy tinkering
Add to them James V. Howe's two volume set.

I taught myself everything I know- stock work, metal shaping, barreling, etc.- by reading everything I could lay my hands on. Then as I undertook a new project I bought the requisite tools and had at it. If I got in trouble I would stop and ask someone, but there usually wasn't anyone around to ask so I would forge ahead. Made a lot of costly mistakes, but empirical knowledge is the best.

I would start with hand tool projects and master those tools before even thinking in terms of lathes, mills, grinders, etc. Armed with a nice assortment of quality files, rasps, chisels, carving tools, a good vice, and measuring instruments you can do a heckuva lot of customizations.

Take checkering for example. I read a couple books, thought "I can do this", bought some basic tools and practiced on a few junkers and re-cut a dozen or so existing patterns before taking a deep breath and attacking a "good" stock.

In the end though, if a person doesn't have a certain knack, a certain feel for the work, and a keen eye for aesthetics, and patience, he'd best take up stamp collecting or whisky drinking as a hobby.
I would start out by learning to completely disassemble (not too danged hard) and then reassemble (can get a bit more challenging wink ) every firearm I own, then study how they function. Then you can progress to improving function by trying what LOOKS like it should make it work better, and then buying lots of replacement parts to fix your screwups OR you can find good sources of info like the Kuhnhausen books if you're not the kind who likes to reinvent the wheel or buy lots of replacement parts. Try a little stock work along the way; maybe give refinishing and checkering a try. There are lots of things you could specialize in and focus on. Really, I think you can keep yourself entertained by using this approach without investing a ton of money, and you can quit anytime if you find you're not enjoying it. If you find you just can't get enough, then go whole hog in any direction that suits you, and you're likely to not be getting into trouble on the streets after curfew.
grin
Thanks for all the references and recommendations. I expect my inclination is to wood work. Any good references?
RiverRider - that's the plan: not a huge investment in tools and equipment, but just enough to have a good time. That's the plan!

Question: I won't have to invest in an FFL for this type of work, right?
Chapters and books have been written on wood finishing.

If you fit a stock, get a good inlet. Boyd is good. Stay away from Richards Microfit, they're anything but "microfit"...

Learn how to glass bed, it's not hard. I like Brownells Acraglas Gel, it's easiest to work with, IME. Get their spray release agent. Pull the action while it's a bit green, replace and torque it down for the cure. That way you won't get an action stuck. Use modeling clay to fill any holes that may capture the barreled action, remove the trigger.

JB and other write about spar varnish. That may be the most finish, toughest finish for the cost of time and materials. You can compound it to a sheen once it's cured.

If you have a belt sander, you can fit recoil pads. I use a table saw with a very fine cutting blade to cut a stock. I use blue tape over the cut to keep down splintering.

DF
Originally Posted by RevMike
RiverRider - that's the plan: not a huge investment in tools and equipment, but just enough to have a good time. That's the plan!

If you take other person's fire rm into do work with it,yes you will need a FFL to ship the firearm back and forth.

Colorado is a whole nother word about that.

Some of the books I mentioned has stock making information in them.
I'll look tomorrow to see if I have other specific books on stock work
Originally Posted by saddlesore

If you take other person's fire rm into do work with it,yes you will need a FFL to ship the firearm back and forth.

So, is that only for shipping or even if I do something for my next door neighbor and hand it back to him?

And thanks in advance for the stock work references. At my age I'll never be a Mark
Renmant or Jim Kobe, but maybe I can finally make a rifle that fits as well as some of my tweaked shotguns do.

Thanks again.

So, is that only for shipping or even if I do something for my next door neighbor and hand it back to him?

For sure in Colorado.

I'm only guessing here, but if you are doing it for money you do.No difference than taking one from someone across town.
I have turned down work from a few guys hereon the fire because of this.
After reviewing my library of gunsmithing books and seeing what was available concerning stock work these two books I recommended both have large sections dealing with stocks anywhere from selecting wood, starting from a blank all the way to finishing and checkering. I have a fairly large file of magazine articles I have saved over the years.

NRA Gunsmithing Guide,

Wolfe's Gunsmithing Tips and Projects.

After reviewing those books,really it is more a matter of experience and a feel for wood working, learning what a stock should look like and how certain factors determine fit and function, like what makes a stock deliver less felt recoil
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Midway's Larry Potterfield has an excellent series of gunsmithing videos on You Tube. He walks you thru many of the simpler and some not so simple gunsmithing jobs.

Yep Youtube is the way to go. You can find everything on it
Originally Posted by 1lessdog
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Yep Youtube is the way to go. You can find everything on it

+1

I'm impressed at Larry Potterfield's gunsmithing skills.

He's pretty sophisticated, seems able to do almost any gunsmithing task.

DF
After reviewing my library of gunsmithing books and seeing what was available concerning stock work these two books I recommended both have large sections dealing with stocks anywhere from selecting wood, starting from a blank all the way to finishing and checkering. I have a fairly large file of magazine articles I have saved over the years.

NRA Gunsmithing Guide,

After reviewing those books,really it is more a matter of experience and a feel for wood working, learning what a stock should look like and how certain factors determine fit and function, like what makes a stock deliver less felt recoil

Thank you! I'll dig them up. And thanks for the other resources as well.
Thanks, all. Your comments have been very helpful.

First or second edition? Or does it not matter?

First or second edition? Or does it not matter?

Mine doesn't have an Edition marked on it.Just Copyright, 1989.
I'd expect the 2nd edition to have more current info,but it might just be a 2nd printing. Don't think it matters much to what you are looking for
http://www.biblio.com/book/checkeri...J98XqoqYE4UDMqNvYnW9bYQyDA7LQaAgx98P8HAQ

This is THE book on checkering and has enough about stockmaking to get you through a big job. I strongly suggest not wasting time on inletted and shaped blanks. Start from scratch and learn why and how it is done. It is only slightly more time and you gain little from having someone do the easiest parts crudely.

You also will develop a feel for what you are doing by the stepwise deconstruction of the blank into a stock.
That came up on Amazon when I was looking for the other. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.
Mine doesn't have an Edition marked on it.Just Copyright, 1989. I'd expect the 2nd edition to have more current info,but it might just be a 2nd printing. Don't think it matters much to what you are looking for

Got it, thanks.
Yes Rev, read, read, read. Gunsmithing Tips and Projects got me started years ago. I am doing just what you are thinking of doing. Since I retired last year I have rebuilt one rifle, totally built another, and getting my butt kicked royally by a high grade muzzleloader I'm trying to build. When I get too upset I go sit in my shop door and watch my fruit trees I put out grow. It's all good fun.
Originally Posted by papat
Yes Rev, read, read, read. Gunsmithing Tips and Projects got me started years ago. I am doing just what you are thinking of doing. Since I retired last year I have rebuilt one rifle, totally built another, and getting my butt kicked royally by a high grade muzzleloader I'm trying to build. When I get too upset I go sit in my shop door and watch my fruit trees I put out grow. It's all good fun.

I have 9 years, 10 months, and 21 days...but who's counting?
Originally Posted by papat

I have 9 years, 10 months, and 21 days...but who's counting?

Rev,

Get the Bishop interesting, hook him up with the books, tapes, videos, etc.

Once he catches on, farm out your work to him.

Brotherly love and such... grin

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Rev,

Get the Bishop interesting, hook him up with the books, tapes, videos, etc.

Once he catches on, farm out your work to him.

Brotherly love and such... grin

DF

You mean get him interested pastoral care so I can do the gun work? Well, there's a reason he's a bishop. grin
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
http://www.biblio.com/book/checkeri...J98XqoqYE4UDMqNvYnW9bYQyDA7LQaAgx98P8HAQ

This is THE book on checkering and has enough about stockmaking to get you through a big job. I strongly suggest not wasting time on inletted and shaped blanks. Start from scratch and learn why and how it is done. It is only slightly more time and you gain little from having someone do the easiest parts crudely.

You also will develop a feel for what you are doing by the step wise deconstruction of the blank into a stock.

I was hoping you would see this Art
I'm not sure where he is or how to get in touch with him anymore, Google will help, but Les Brooks sent me a thumb drive with all of his teachings from his years instructing @ Trinidad State Junior College. It's a steal for what you get. I think it was about 20 bux and there was lots of hours of information from pics, videos, narrative. ...good stuff.

Richard Franklin of richards custom rifles has a great set of videos on bench type building and ammo building with wilson dies.....also a bargain.

You have a great talent pool here too. There's a lot of unknown guys as well as Jim Kobe, Butch, and plenty more.
FFL 01 gunsmith licensing is required if you charge anything of value for your work. If you mill, drill or do anything that improves accuracy beyond the original capabilities of the firearm or anything on the big list of general gunsmith activities they deem as manufacturing you are required a $2250 ITAR annual registration and taxes. You will also need permission from your city or county for the home occupation license and the FFL. If you buy guns to assemble or modify it in any way including refinishing the stock, checkering, Cerakote, fitting a recoil pad or sights and then selling it you will need an FFL 07 manufacturing license.

Unless you are ready to go after it to profit the regulations all but prohibit the hobby guys. If you don't charge or keep anything while the owner is not present then you don't really need much of anything license wise. Then it's just two guys playing in the garage with their guns.

Originally Posted by HiredGun
FFL 01 gunsmith licensing is required if you charge anything of value for your work. If you mill, drill or do anything that improves accuracy beyond the original capabilities of the firearm or anything on the big list of general gunsmith activities they deem as manufacturing you are required a $2250 ITAR annual registration and taxes. You will also need permission from your city or county for the home occupation license and the FFL. If you buy guns to assemble or modify it in any way including refinishing the stock, checkering, Cerakote, fitting a recoil pad or sights and then selling it you will need an FFL 07 manufacturing license.

Unless you are ready to go after it to profit the regulations all but prohibit the hobby guys. If you don't charge or keep anything while the owner is not present then you don't really need much of anything license wise. Then it's just two guys playing in the garage with their guns.

Well shoot.

About the only thing I'd be doing for anyone else is mounting a scope or something, since none of the guys I hunt with are really recreational rifle shooters and they don't have any of the equipment to measure torque, etc., but they'd have to be there when I do it for eye relief, so I don't see that as an issue. And I'd probably do that for a beer - although that would be the "A" in ATF, wouldn't it.

What I have planned is simply buying an old rifle here and there, repairing and reworking the stock (which would include bedding and the addition of a pad, if needed), mounting or repairing whatever sights are on it, any other light fixing I think I can do, then either selling it off or giving it to family members. I doubt I'd do 5 or 6 a year, if that. I just need to have something that I enjoy to keep me out of my wife's hair. Would any of that require an FFL?

As for the city/zoning/occ. license, etc., I can take care of all that. It may not be a requirement, since it really wouldn't constitute a business, but I'll check to make sure. After 30 years as a CPA in our community, I still have some contacts in the county offices.

Thanks for that information. It can really throw a wrench in the gears.

RM
Strictly speaking, engaging in the small commercial pursuits you described, Rev, you would need an FFL. On a practical side, that sort of thing has been going on for about 8 decades now with nary a whimper. It all depends on how blatant you are, how much you care to flaunt the law, how trusting you are of your "customers", and how much you talk about it on an open forum.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
and how much you talk about it on an open forum.

All good points, especially that one^^^^ blush

Late to the party, computer problems.

I started by studying Roy Dunlap's "Gunsmithing" which is dated. But that's good, intended for people who don't have machine shops. Pretty basic stuff included like tools to acquire and my favorite, how to use a file properly. Then proceed to other books, Wolfe's "Gunsmithing" I think it is called (out of print) which is a compendium of old magazine articles on gunsmithing helped. Written for amateurs.

Then I started fixing common problems on old firearms for friends and acquaintances ,things like old hardware store shotguns that I knew I couldn't make worse. A lot of refinishing, both metal and wood and disassembly/reassembly for deep cleaning - and figuring out how the damned thing worked as you go. Actually function is often restored by deep cleaning decades of gunk off, then on to make it prettier.

As I think somebody mentioned there's no FFL issues as long as you're not in the business. I may charge what I paid for parts as the guy who lets me practice on his gun feels he has to pay something. But not for time or supplies.

I think I learned more from fixing my screw-ups than anything else.
Originally Posted by nighthawk

I think I learned more from fixing my screw-ups than anything else.

Bingo. A wise man told me once that the true definition of a craftsman is not in how well he can do a job, rather how well he can fix a screw-up.

The same guy used to say as well that if I'm not making mistakes then I'm not working.
Posted By: LGB Re: Gunsmithing as Personal Hobby - 03/31/17
I see that high-country mentioned my name with the DVD or USB info source for a hobby gunsmith. Stocks and checkering were my interest when I was working. Now that I have retired I spend time trying to write about how you can learn this trade for a good hobby or as a pro.

If anyone needs more info just send a PM on this site. There is over 2.25 Gb's to keep you busy for a few days of reading with pictures.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith, wood and metal
© 24hourcampfire