Home
Posted By: Cleveland48 Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 03/28/17
My new Howa multicam came in to the FFL Monday have not picked it up yet. Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with 24" #6 contour barrel. It comes with the Hogue pillar bedded stock which I hear has a very flimsy forend. My questions are would a steel rod or arrow shaft glass bedded into the forearm help much. Also even if it's pillar bedded would bedding the recoil lug be a bad idea? Not the whole action are the rear tang. Just curious I would rather not purchase a new stock. And I have plenty of acraglass gel on hand. I have bedded a Ruger American into a Boyd's pro varmint stock with good results. Even the factory Ruger synthetic stock will all its flimsiness shot great, so am I just over thinking this?
Posted By: Craigster Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 03/28/17
you might want to shoot it first.
Yeah I've decided too before I go tinkering with things.
Originally Posted by Craigster
you might want to shoot it first.

^^^^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^. Buy a B&C stock and bed the lug
Posted By: papat Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 03/29/17
Cleveland, I have one of those stocks and compared to some I don't see it as flimsy. Opinions do differ though.
Good too know. I've not handled one yet so hopefully it's no issue. Just what I've read on the internet. I don't shoot off a bipod so should not cause an issue. Gonna pick it up and shoot it this weekend.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 03/29/17
With a #6 contour? Doubt it would matter... I would do it as a matter of course... but not because I thought it would change much.
Picked up the rifle after work today. Seems like a well built action. Stock is not as flimsy as I though. I never shoot off a bipod so may not be any issue at all. Gonna find out how it shoots Saturday.
Posted By: KMS Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 03/31/17
The Hogue pillar bed stocks are not that flimsy. I sold the one mine came in just because I hated the tan. One of my customers sold me a brand new B&C Medalist for $100 worth of transfers. Even with the bedding block, I still bedded the lug area. I'm one of those guys that beds rifles right off the bat. I figure, if done correctly, it can only improve it. Certainly won't make it worse.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by KMS

I'm one of those guys that beds rifles right off the bat. I figure, if done correctly, it can only improve it. Certainly won't make it worse.

+1
Quick question for you guys. I'm also bedding a rifle for my brother and I can not find kiwi neutral shoe polish. I do have plenty of ariat neutral boot cream though. Is this the same as shoe polish? Or will it work for a release agent. I also have the acraglass release agent, Pam , and hornady one shot case lube.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 04/01/17
use the acraglass release agent
Will do and thanks.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Glass bedding Howa 1500 - 04/01/17
glass bedding won't hurt. i've bedded arrows in forend to stiffen it all helps.

Ed
Did the Howa barrel break in procedure then cleaned it again afterwards. Only had time for two three shot groups then I had to leave. First group from cleaned barrel showed some promise. Second group really tightened up nicely after the bore was fouled.
Well for some reason it won't let me add the pictures from my phone. So the first group measured .972" second group measured .631". Overall I'm very happy so far with the rifle. I believe it's gonna settle in nicely after about 50 more rounds.
© 24hourcampfire