Home
Posted By: aboltfan Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/05/23
I recently bought a Henry X rifle in 45 Colt. I loaded up test loads and got to the range today for testing. I was happy with how it performed.

The gun is scoped with a Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scope. All loads were in Starline brass with WLP primers. Hornady 250gr. XTP bullets were used. Groups were at 100 yards.

I believe the AA#9 load was the most accurate, but I've got more H110 powder. Any one of these loads will work.

.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/06/23
Good job!
Posted By: jeeper Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/06/23
I'd be happy with any of those.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/06/23
Excellent work. All those loads will work great at the distances you'd use that rifle at. That's great shooting for any pistol caliber lever gun.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/11/23
Mine is just as accurate with a Burris Fastfire installed. It's a shame, I haven't shot that rifle in over a year and it doesn't look like I'll shoot it this year either.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/11/23
I literally just finished loading 500 rounds with the AA#9 load. I'll go to the range Monday and center up the zero.

I had not planned on taking it to Mississippi, but I had so much fun shooting it, I can't leave it behind. I've got several stands that are well within the Colt's range.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/11/23
Well done sir. FYI Starline had .45 Colt brass in stock the last time I looked cool
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/11/23
https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-colt-brass

Looks like it's now on back order status again. 90% of the time they ship within a few weeks though.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/11/23
Thanks for the info and link. Fortunately, I've been building my supply for awhile and am well stocked.
Very nice, your Henry is a real shooter!
Posted By: devnull Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/13/23
That's some great shooting. Those would be great groups at 50 yards.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/13/23
Went to the range today and finished sighting in. I didn't shoot as tight a group as the first one, but it's still good. I'm very happy the Leupold scope adjusted accurately. The gun is ready.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 11/23/23
An update on the 45 Colt load. I used it this past weekend to take a doe in Mississippi. The shot was at 78 paces. I had a quartering shot. Hit it at the base of the neck and exited the right rib cage. Dropped where it stood.

About 12 inches of penetration with about a one inch exit hole. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the handload for the Henry and the performance of the bullet on my one example.
Posted By: BS2 Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 12/10/23
aboltfan, a friend has one of these and it is a real deer killing machine with those 250s at 1800 fps.

Have you checked the speed of any of your loads?
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 12/10/23
Based on my example of one, it is a deer killer.

I did not chronograph any of these loads. Based on load data, they should all be doing 1700-1800 fps.
Posted By: BS2 Re: Henry 45 Colt range day - 12/10/23
Friends long shot calculated by bullet drop was about 180 yards, the 250 broke both shoulders and made an exit. Heavily bloodied 30 yard recovery.

I wouldn't shoot that far, just wanted to let you know the results.

They are short but Mighty!
© 24hourcampfire