Home
Posted By: EthanEdwards Rossi Puma - 01/15/10
Here's mine. I was shooting her some tonight about twilight. 44 WCF with a big cat on the side. rrreeeoowwwwww

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mak Re: Rossi Puma - 01/16/10
Nice gun, Cole. Was wondering what your load of choice is?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rossi Puma - 01/18/10
Thanks Mak. Gosh, I dunno. I'd have to go look it up. I loaded up a bunch of 44-40 awhilst back and screwed up my dies. I knew that most 44-40 dies were not carbide, but for some reason, I thought my Lee dies were. I had that idea from the labels on them. After I screwed them up, I looked at the labels closer and wondered where I'd gotten that idea. At any rate, I have polished and polished and polished them and to no avail. I'm going to have to get a new sizing die because mine is scratched too badly.

Before that, I hadn't loaded any for twenty years. Probably a goodly helping of Unique under a 215 grain hard cast SWC. I'd guess 1000-1100 fps in a handgun.
Posted By: Warhawk Re: Rossi Puma - 02/01/10
Very nice, what part of the "Land of Ahs"? I lived up there for many years, in Texas now.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Rossi Puma - 02/10/10
Nice rifle. Handgun cartridges in levers never tripped my trigger. My 16" Win Wrangler is in .32Win Spec. It lays good in a pickup seat. All that being said, I have a hankering for a Taurus Thunderbolt pump in .45LC. If they made a .41mag, it would drive me over the edge. Again, that's a nice gun. Life is good.
Posted By: 222Sako Re: Rossi Puma - 02/14/10
Anybody else shoot a Puma in any different calibers? I was at a gunshow today and saw one in 357 mag. Neat looking and seemed to be of good quality. I've wanted a 357 lever gun forever and was wondering if these are pretty much trouble free. I know varmint guns and shotguns, but not that much about lever guns.
Posted By: 1lasportsman Re: Rossi Puma - 02/14/10
I have a SS in 45LC
Really nice rifle.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Rossi Puma - 02/14/10

Have a Puma M92 blued/case hardened, 24" oct.bbl, & chambered in .45 Colt.

Smooth '92 action and shoots straight.
Posted By: Hook Re: Rossi Puma - 02/17/10
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Have a Puma M92 blued/case hardened, 24" oct.bbl, & chambered in .45 Colt.

Yep, same for me except my 24" bbl is half round, half octagon. Great shooting little rifle!

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rossi Puma - 02/18/10
Originally Posted by Warhawk
Very nice, what part of the "Land of Ahs"? I lived up there for many years, in Texas now.

Southeast, near Fort Scott.
The .32 is certainly special. I've only had one, but it was a nice rifle. Kinda wish I still had it, but then, there's lots of them that have passed through my hands I could say the same of.
Originally Posted by 222Sako
Anybody else shoot a Puma in any different calibers? I was at a gunshow today and saw one in 357 mag. Neat looking and seemed to be of good quality. I've wanted a 357 lever gun forever and was wondering if these are pretty much trouble free. I know varmint guns and shotguns, but not that much about lever guns.

I had the same gun in .44 Magnum. It was a good one too. In fact, it's probably more practical than the .44-40. I've never heard of anybody having trouble with the .357. Lots of Winchesters were converted to that caliber and the .44 Mag, back in the day. They had few problems and most Rossi/Taurus '92s you encounter should be even better since most were made specifically for the caliber rather than converted.
Posted By: Mustang22 Re: Rossi Puma - 02/20/10
I have a Rossi in 45LC/454 That is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I'm shooting 255gr laser cast boolits over 11.5 gr of Unique. They are pretty snappy, not nearly like 454, but lots cheaper. I have heard some grumbling about the Rossi in 357 not feeding .38 spl very well but have no direct experience with it. I have had NO problems with mine. I can switch back and forth between .45LC and 454 with no problems.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Rossi Puma - 03/08/10
The Puma .357s are pretty fussy about feeding smoothly, at least, my buddy's was. He had to stick with bullets shaped like Hornady's XTP profile, or it would gag badly. I've owned a couple in .44 Magnum, both fed very well, as long as I used XTPs or the cast LFN (not SWC) design. IF I used .44 Special cases, it would feed SWCs, too.

If you want a good .357 levergun, get the Marlin, they usually feed anything without problems.

I'd still have the 20" .44 Magnum, but some bastage stole it. If someone runs across serial # MO36565, I'd sure like to talk to the current owner about it...................
Posted By: 200yrs2late Re: Rossi Puma - 04/18/10
I recently purchased the M92 with 24" octagonal barrel and case hardened reciever chambered in .357 Magnum. Very nice rifle - action smoother than some Winchesters I've shot. Cycles both .357 mags. as well as .38 Spcls. flawlessly. And it's quite accurate. New, out of the box put 22 of 22 .38's on a 6" target at 35 yards, open sights - no range time yet. Not a bad start. Load all my own ammo. Liked it so much I just purchased the large loop saddle ring carbine in the same caliber. Waiting my 10 days.

Love the .38 / .357 platform as I have wheel guns as well. So much potential with this caliber within it's range capabilities and can load mild to wild. Very cost effective as well.
Posted By: 200yrs2late Re: Rossi Puma - 04/18/10
New here to this forum - impressed. Thought I'd say hello!
Posted By: northcountry Re: Rossi Puma - 04/20/10

Welcome 200yrs2late, am sure you will enjoy being on the 24hrs. fire. Much info can be gained. So pull up a log and sit a spell. Cheers NC
Posted By: temmi Re: Rossi Puma - 04/23/10
Geez who knew Kansas was soooo BEAUTIFUL.

Very nice place.

Nice rifle too.

T
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Rossi Puma - 04/24/10
My button mag .357/.38 Rossi Model 92 feeds/shoots pretty much everything I've tried in it so far.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rossi Puma - 04/24/10
Originally Posted by temmi
Geez who knew Kansas was soooo BEAUTIFUL.

Very nice place.

Nice rifle too.

T
Why thank you very much. I am half Kansan and half Texan. I've often wondered if that's why I like Oklahoma. Maybe I'm an Okie.

The backyard actually looks a little better now that it's greened up. That was a "tweener" pic because before that there was a lot more snow and when the snow was fresh it looked better. Now that the snow's gone, I like the looks better, but the dandelions are sure messing up the lawn. heheh
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Rossi Puma - 05/02/10
"Maybe I'm an Okie."
--------------------

Maybe you're just OK. smile
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Rossi Puma - 05/06/10
I've got a .44mag that I've had for years. It's our official booger getter and armadiller popper. Haven't tried it on deer but will this year. It's very accurate but I'm wanting to put some type of peep on it. Any suggestions?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rossi Puma - 05/07/10
Schoolmarm, I searched for both Williams and Lyman receiver sights and couldn't find any for '92s, which surprises me greatly. Tang peep sights...yes, but no receiver ones. I personally don't have either on any of my guns right now.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rossi Puma - 05/07/10
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=546951

Tried and true.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Rossi Puma - 05/08/10
ColeYounger, had'nt thought about a tang sight. Will work and look better also. Thanks a million, will holler back when I get it set up to let you know how it worked out.
Posted By: 14cm Re: Rossi Puma - 05/08/10
this is my 92, it is a 454. i did some work to it to smooth it up. the best thing i did was put a skinner sight on it. it is not in this picture. it is stout with full tilt loads. i am getting around 2100fps with a 300gr xto over 31gr h110. I also pinned the stock before it split. i plan to put a walnut stock on it eventualy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Rossi Puma - 05/08/10
14cm, which of the sights did you use? I may get one for my taurus 45 pump also.
Posted By: 14cm Re: Rossi Puma - 05/08/10
here is the skinner sight. you get an extra tall front to go with it.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pak Re: Rossi Puma - 05/08/10
I have one in a 480. I bet those loads at 2300fps rock you a bit.
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Rossi Puma - 05/08/10
[I searched for both Williams and Lyman receiver sights and couldn't find any for '92s, which surprises me greatly. Tang peep sights...yes, but no receiver ones. I personally don't have either on any of my guns right now.]

The reason you cannot find (and will never find) a receiver peep sight specifically designated for the Winchester Model 92 is that the Model 1892/92/53/65 takes the same receiver peep sights as does the Winchester Models 55/64/94/1894 (for which many are listed).

Since the Rossi Model 92's aren't factory prepped (D/T'd) for a receiver peep sight, there are even MORE options available to the Rossi owner.

Receiver peep sights meant for the top-eject Win 94 are side mounted, and a M92 can certainly use one of that config.

However, a Rossi M92 will also accept a top-mounted receiver peep sight, meant for a Winchester angle-eject M94AE from either Williams or XS via D/T one hole in the top of the rear of each receiver sidewall. (see bottom-most rifle, below)

[Linked Image]

A THIRD option for some Rossi M92 owners, is for those who have a later model which has the lawyer bolt-top safety.
The safety pops right out in less than a minute, and is easily replaced by a bolt top peep sight from either Skinner (LoPro) or www.stevesgunz.com

[Linked Image]

Either the Williams 5D94AE/FP94AE or the Skinner LoPro/Steve'sGunz peeps will readily zero using the issue height fgront sight blade.

Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Rossi Puma - 05/09/10
Rangr, can't tell you how much I thank you for that. Like the looks of that Skinner LoPro, but mine is an older model. Thinking about drilling and tapping for it.
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Rossi Puma - 05/09/10
You are entirely welcome. smile

Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Rossi Puma - 05/10/10
LOL, this thread reminds me that I was on a pig hunt a few years ago with a guy carrying a '92 rifle in .45 Colt. A small herd sort of charged in his direction and it was amazing how quickly he emptied that Rossi - Chuck Connors couldn't shoot blanks any quicker. When the smoke cleared he did have a nice sow though.
© 24hourcampfire