Home
What would be the better choice for all around use ( hunting and target shooting)? Chambered in 30-30.
For carrying and for it's handling, I prefer the M94. Just a personal preference.

If I were to bet on one being more accurate, based on what I've seen, the 336.

I bet that really helped....
If you want to scope,the 336,if not the 94
Originally Posted by saddlesore

+1, however I do really like a 94 with a side mounted peep.
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by saddlesore

+1, however I do really like a 94 with a side mounted peep.

I hunted as a kid with a Win 94 in 32 Special with a side mount scope. About 6 months ago I put a side mount on a 94 in 30-30 and took it to the range expecting to shoot a full box of shells sighting it in given that the scope does not rest over the bore/receiver. To my amazement, the first shot was perfectly aligned (windage) and only needed to be lowered a few clicks. I had that little rifle punching bullseyes after three shots!

Re: Win 94s, the newer models are angle eject so no need for a sidemount.

As far as Win 94 vs Marlin 336 (I have quite a few of each in various chamberings), the 94 carries and handles better. As far as function and durability, I would have to award that prize to the Marlins. I think it's a toss up based on personal preferences. They are both fun levers.
The winchester is lighter and handier. If I had to scope, I think the Marlin is a better choice.

Accuracy depends on the individual rifle more than the brand, though most of us will shoot better off hand with a heavier rifle.
You can scope both (at least those M94s with angle eject), but I wouldn't go over board with it. The one I had on my M94 was a 1.5-4x20. A straight 2x or 3x would be nice too I imagine. I always preferred how the Win M94 handled/carried to the Marlin. The Marlin locks up tighter, but I think the Winchester was designed looser to operate in dirty conditions. So, the Winchester rattles a bit when working the action. If that doesn't bother you I'd get the Winchester.
As others have mentioned:

If you're going to scope it, get a Marlin. Even with the angle eject, go ahead and get a Marlin. Once you scope either one you've detracted from the great handling of a non-scoped lever action, so might as well get the Marlin.

After owning and loading for about 3-4 Model 94's and that many 336's, all .30-30's, I'd say overall the 336 is slightly more accurate than a 94. But we're talking 2 1/2" vs. 2" averages maybe?

If you're not going to scope it, get the Winchester. I love Marlins, but nothing handles quicker and shoulders as easy as a Winchester 94.

There are tricks to getting either model to shoot better, mostly not tying the magazine tube to the barrel tightly and both will benefit from that treatment.
A straight grip Marlin 336 Texan handles about as well as a 94. I have one of them set up with a Williams FP reciever sight and it is a very handy rig. I have just never been able to warm up to the 94 mostly because of the slop in the action compared to the Marlin.
A Marlin Texan is as good as it gets.
This thread has me laughing...remembering as a kid listening to my Dad (Marlin) and my Uncle (Winchester) have the same discussion. It would go back and forth and my Dad would always end by saying he could scope his Marlin easier...but he NEVER scoped it. I killed my first deer with his gun, and still have it now.

I guess to honor them both I have have both.

I wonder how many camp fire arguments were over the same topic?

Dan
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There are tricks to getting either model to shoot better, mostly not tying the magazine tube to the barrel tightly and both will benefit from that treatment.
So they say and I've done the loose barrel band/loose forearm treatment to a few in the past. None were as accurate as my current 336 and 94 however and both of those have tight barrel bands, forearms bedded solidly to the barrels/receivers and buttstocks bedded solidly to the rear receiver abutments. My 336 so set up will put 3 shots inside an inch at 100 yards over and over again. So much for the wisdom of the experts.
Its a toss up. If you want a good carry gun get the '94. If you want to use a scope get a Marlin. Top eject or side eject on the '94 don't make no never mind. If you scope it you dick it up. Marlins were born waiting to be scoped.
I have both..But the marlins have 24 in barrels with half mag..the 94's are carbines..I much prefer the Marlin..
I've handled both and I personally like the Marlins better. It always seemed to me that the Winnies rattled and the Marlins didn't.
Find yourself a JM stamped Marlin and you will be hooked. Just be careful because Marlinitis is a very real condition.
Whatever feels better in your hands. I have a one 94 Winchester and 7 Marlins. I prefer the feel of a Marlin, you may not.
'66 336CS 30-30
'72 336CS 30-30
'80 M375
'82 1894c 38/357
'94 336CS 35 Rem
'02 1894 44mag
'02 1895GS 45-70

What's this "Winchester" you mentioned? wink
the best reason to get the Marlin is... the "Happy Trigger"
The "slop" in the action of the 94 has never bothered me. When the bolt closes it locks up tight. Both are fine rifles and I have a lot of top and angle eject winchesters and several Marlins. With the lever mechanism hidden in the receiver body, the 94 is just more comfortable to carry to me. The Marlin lever attachment is a little more obtrusive, but still carries well.

I personally haven't seen much difference in the accuracy of the two, but a better shooter than myself might. Buy one for each hand!!
Definitely, get one of each. My 336 is scoped and I pretty much limit it to hunting with Hornady Leverevolution. The 94 is open-sighted for the occasional deep-brush still hunt with jacketed bullets and plinking with cast bullets. 9 grains of Trail Boss under a 165 gr .309 cast boolit is dead on at 25 yards with the 94's sight elevator in the highest position and well within a minute of a tin can with my old eyes. It's a fun, soft-shooting load at about 1150 fps. Mama and I both love it. Something neat about fooling around with a lever gun.
I finally got my hands on another Marlin model 30TK after foolishly letting my previous one get away from me. I like a model 94 for shooting with open sights, and all around portability, but the little 30TK is just a sgood for that, and I can drop a little 4x on it if I want a scope.
For shooting cast boolits, the Winchester with it's 1 in 12 twist is easier to reach full jacketed velocity.

The Marlin with it's quicker 1 in 10 twist shoots cast bullets better than the Winchester at lower velocities.

This is a generic statement and I am sure individual rifles can prove it wrong, but if I was targeting 2100 to 2300 fps I would use the win. For 1700 to 2000 fps I would go with the Marlin.

For Jacketed bullets either will work, the advent of the Doug Turnbull Fast Fire II sight base for the Win Mod 94 has allowed me to start enjoying my Winchesters again. My eyes have lost the ability to use the peeps.

I would take either rifle hunting and be happy with it.
Just get a Savage 99 in 30-30 and be done with it. You can use pointy bullets, put the scope on top where it belongs and you don't have that tube hangin' under the barrel. An its usually more accurate.
Marlin.

I like the 94. Both shoot better than me off hand. But for reliability and durability, I'll take the Marlin.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have both..But the marlins have 24 in barrels with half mag..the 94's are carbines..I much prefer the Marlin..

Actually, the new 94 Sporters have 24" barrel.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=003C&mid=534178
I own both and like both but I prefer the Marlin.
I have had both. Grew up hunting with Dads 336 in 30-30 and years later I bought a 94 in 30-30 with a short barrel. That gun carried like none other I have owned. I kept the iron sights on it and only carried it when I went in the thick bottoms of Alabama. I wound up selling it years later when I started having kids and wasn't hunting like I used to. Now that they have gotten older and I am back in the woods, I picked up a 336 in 35 rem, cut the barrel down to 16 1/2", put a fixed 4x sightron SII scout scope with a weaver scout rail and couldn't be happier. It carries like the 94 but feels much more sturdy.
I like to get a good deal on a gun, buy the first one that has a price you can't resist. I wouldn't pass up a Mossberg either.
I think the marlin has the strongest, simpelest, action. They also have easily adjustable triggers and are ready for scope or peep sights. I think the Winchester has the weakest action but most collector value.Putting a scope or peep on a vintage winchester require drilling holes. The Savage has a strong action but they are complex, as well as their trigger creep is nearly impossible to address. Putting a scope on a vintage Savage may require drilling holes. If one was stuck on hunting with the 30 wcf cartridge I would use the marlin first due to my ageing eyes and need for a scope! I have all three (Marlin, savage, winchester) and love them all to shoot!
Originally Posted by pira114
Marlin.

for reliability and durability, I'll take the Marlin.
I don't know where this idea comes from but it's wrong IME. The weak links in the Marlin levers are the extractors and ejectors. I kept spares on hand and replaced them fairly regularly when I was gunsmithing. Never saw a Win. 94 break an extractor or ejector.
I have never heard of a Winchester 94 breaking anything (other than the pistol grip of the stock in a bad fall) and I have had three of them myself.
I had a Marlin once but I got tired of tightening up the screws all the time and with a scope on it it was just as heavy as a bolt action anyway.

I would give the gold star to Winchester for durability and reliability, the three I bought were all thirty years or older, had been hunted through hell and back as pig hunting guns over dogs before I got them, and were all the same as they came from the factory.
© 24hourcampfire