Home
Posted By: liliysdad Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/13/14
OK, here's the backstory...my father passed away last year. My brother basically stole all of his guns, but I managed to get all of his reloading stuff before he had a chance to. In that is a BUNCH of 44 Mag components. I do not currently have a 44. I had been looking for a Marlin to match my 1894c in 357, but they are bit hard to find, and not cheap when you do.

I stumbled across a pre-safety Winchester 94 in 44 Mag today at the local store. It is in decent shape, and I can get it for less than $400. I have always been a Marlin guy, so whats the scoop on the Winchesters?
Posted By: bbassi Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/13/14
You better grab it at that price. You can always get your money out of it, and then some.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/13/14
I would buy a Win 94 in 44 mag today if i could find one at that price in decent condition
Dude, be there when they open tommorrow if it is in good condition.
Posted By: JFE Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/13/14
I had one of these and it was nothing but trouble. It was an early one (late 60's to early 70's) that had a sheet metal shell lifter. I broke several of these lifters before I fixed it for the last time and moved it on. The Win 94 action is really better suited to longer cartridges.

If you are happy with iron sights I'd get a 92 based rifle and if you want to scope the rifle, then a Marlin is a better proposition.
I've had two WW 94's in .44mag. Still have a 94 Trapper in .44 mag. Both were very reliable, but I kept the Trapper because it will shoot 5-shot groups into 1.5" at 100 yards.
I wouldn't sell mine for $1000.

And that's a great deal on the price of that Pre- Saftey Model 94 your looking at.
I'd recommend buying it and having fun. You can't go wrong for that price, IMO
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/13/14
Originally Posted by liliysdad
OK, here's the backstory...my father passed away last year. My brother basically stole all of his guns, but I managed to get all of his reloading stuff before he had a chance to. In that is a BUNCH of 44 Mag components. I do not currently have a 44. I had been looking for a Marlin to match my 1894c in 357, but they are bit hard to find, and not cheap when you do.

I stumbled across a pre-safety Winchester 94 in 44 Mag today at the local store. It is in decent shape, and I can get it for less than $400. I have always been a Marlin guy, so whats the scoop on the Winchesters?

Yes, grab that fine rifle then go slap the cornbread chit outta your brother, good luck to you on this upcoming project.

Gunner
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/13/14
Unless the stock is broken at the wrist, and Elmers repaired, it's a buy/steal/not losing money deal.
Whether its a Marlin 94 or Winnie, functunality is luck of the draw. You either get a good one or you don't

Unless you are looking for Stainless, you might look at some other brands and models or a real 92
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/14/14
Well, I went ahead and put it in layaway, just didnt have the rathole money to pick it up, but its mine. As for the 92, for whatever reason, I really dont care for the Rossis, and the real deal 92s are more than I want to spend. I am not totally sold on the 94 yet, but I am willing to give it a try.

As for this gun itself, its a 1968 model according to serial number. My only complaint is the 20" barrel, I am much more a 16" barrel guy on leverguns. I am not seeing a huge amount of intrinsic value with this gun due to vintage, think it would be foolhardy to have it cut to Trapper length?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/14/14
If it were mine, and a '68, and I wanted a 16 incher, the Gunsmith would be warming his chopsaw right now.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/14/14
OK...thats my feeling as well. I am not very "learned" on the Winchesters, and all I know is Pre and Post 64. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt some unknown value I was going to destroy.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/15/14
think it would be foolhardy to have it cut to Trapper length?

YES! Don't cut it!
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/15/14
And the reason not to?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/15/14
And the reason not to?

I want to find out, too. I woulda already screwed up.
Posted By: JFE Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/15/14
Before you chop it I would see if its what you want first. It would be easier to trade it out if its original.

When I had mine Winchester hadn't brought out the AE models in short pistol cals. I've never looked at a later production Win 94 in 44 but maybe they made a better shell lifter which you might be able to swap out if yours gives you the same trouble mine did.

One thing with the Winchester though is that as it was made to handle longer cartridges you could alter it to take a longer OAL. 44's have a long throat already (approx .22") and with minor internal changes you could have a rifle that gives better accuracy as well as more power.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/15/14
In the past I owned two of the M94's chambered for pistol cartridges (357 MAG and 45 Colt). They were from the later post-64 era (one had the big "moon crater" side safety). Both would feed decently, but you couldn't baby them when cycling - had to work the lever fast in order for the guns to feed well. Being that late in production the lifter issue had been corrected.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/15/14
All comments appreciated.

I will definitely make sure the gun is for me before chopping it, but I dont see the downside to cutting it down. I have never been one to worry too much about resale, I would rather have a gun that fits me.
I have a Marlin SS/laminated trapper in 44mag. XS Ghost rings. Probably the last gun I'd part with.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/18/14
I already have a Marlin in 357, and that would easily be the last gun I would part with. I have a thing for revolver caliber leverguns.
I already have a Marlin in 357, and that would easily be the last gun I would part with. I have a thing for revolver caliber leverguns.

To me, a lever chambered in a straight-walled case makes the most sense. I've decided to part with my 30/30 trapper. I missed that Davidson's run of 357 SS/lam rifles, that was the first one they produced. They turn up on Gunbroker for over a grand.
Originally Posted by JFE
I had one of these and it was nothing but trouble. It was an early one (late 60's to early 70's) that had a sheet metal shell lifter. I broke several of these lifters before I fixed it for the last time and moved it on. The Win 94 action is really better suited to longer cartridges.

If you are happy with iron sights I'd get a 92 based rifle and if you want to scope the rifle, then a Marlin is a better proposition.

The ones with the sheet medal lifter had their problems true, but if it is a later model I would buy it in a hurry. I had a Trapper that was never a problem. I traded it to guy for a S&W M29 thinking I would be able to get another Trapper in the future. Winchester put that danged safety on them then and the prices for one like mine when through the roof.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/20/14
Its been bought, and at home. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet, got to make some ammo first. I did run a few rounds that I had through it, and as long as you run the lever like it stole your bicycle, it functions fine.

I am still thinking it needs a 16" tube.
You did well, I paid much more than $400 for my Packer.
Posted By: Strider Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 06/27/14
I have two in .45 Colt. Never had any problems. You'll have to give us a range report.

It's another one of those guns that get's a bad rap ... like the Rossi 92. Haven't had a problem with either.
And the reason not to?

File under the heading that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You will gain little if anything in handling. You will lose magazine capacity, balance and increase muzzle blast considerably. You also lose sight radius...and maybe some small bit of accuracy.

PS: I have a Trapper and have killed a ton of stuff with it, but wish the barrel was longer for reasons listed above. I ponder now and then about having the barrel replaced and chambered in the .25-35.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Winchester 94 in 44 Mag? - 07/15/14
I have cut the barrels of just about every rifle I have ever owned, and have yet to regret it..to each their own, I suppose.

I did finally get a chance to shoot it. I loaded some 180 Conicals over a handful of 231, just to play with. With an informal woods shooting session, I must say I like it very much. I experienced no feeding issues at all, and it exhibited minute of turtle accuracy. Most of all, its just fun.
© 24hourcampfire