Home
Posted By: nhFrank 338 xx express - 08/10/14
I just picked up a Marlin 338 express and am I impressed ,took it out to the pit today and stuffed a couple rounds in it wham had a pretty good kick ,
It took 5 rounds and dead on at 50 yards ,shooting some lever evolution rounds , hoping to pic up a set of dies and do some loading for it not a big selection of bullets for this caliber
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 338 xx express - 08/10/14
That's why I'd not own one, no bullets.

I'll stick with the 356
Posted By: nhFrank Re: 338 xx express - 08/10/14
I found some Remington 250 gr core locks and the hornadys 200 gr fxt bullets .
There are bullets but not a big selection and with other 338 bullets out there to be reloaded
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 338 xx express - 08/11/14
How many different types of bullets does it take to kill a deer?
Posted By: nhFrank Re: 338 xx express - 08/11/14
One at a time
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 338 xx express - 08/13/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2

It don't, but I'd not be expecting RN 338's designed for said cartridge to be around for long.

Then again, can't come up with a reason in the world that one would need a 338 for deer.
Posted By: nhFrank Re: 338 xx express - 08/13/14
I plan on bring the 338 to Alaska next year caribou hunting ,but why not use it on deer I see people shooting deer with calibers. Big enough to knock and elephant down
Posted By: nhFrank Re: 338 xx express - 08/13/14
Doing some reading on the 356 and it seems they didn't last to long like the 336 but I guess either 338 or 356 it is up to a personal liking for one or the other
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 338 xx express - 08/14/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Fireball2

It don't, but I'd not be expecting RN 338's designed for said cartridge to be around for long.

Then again, can't come up with a reason in the world that one would need a 338 for deer.

Even if you are right and everyone quit making bullets tomorrow, the internet has changed the situation with availability of rare and hard to find items. I wouldn't be too scared to shoot "rare" bullets or cartridges today. With a little diligence, you can find them.

A bigger concern might be the change in laws making it illegal to shoot bullets containing lead in the hunting woods. Then, yeah, you've got a problem.
Posted By: nhFrank Re: 338 xx express - 08/21/14
Took it to the range last night at 150 yards a couple more clicks on the scope and was putting rounds in 1 1/2 group .
I ordered a set of dies and 100 new cases ,so I believe I won't be having a ammo problem I think I am going to try some 180 gr bullets and see how she likes them
© 24hourcampfire