Home
Posted By: Dan_H Browning lever action .308 - 09/30/14
Hard to get fired case to eject. Picks up rounds and cycles them fine until fired. Happens with variety of manufactures and loads. Any ideas what is going wrong?
Not enough tension on extractor spring........
any marks on cases ie. gouges or raised spots after firing? had a mauser that had a pock mark in the chamber. case expanded into it. made it difficult to extract.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Browning lever action .308 - 09/30/14
Clean chamber?
Posted By: tmitch Re: Browning lever action .308 - 09/30/14
Extract or eject? Different operation and causes.
Originally Posted by tmitch
Extract or eject? Different operation and causes.

Not enough tension on extractor spring, or a "rough" extractor, will cause ejection problems....Which is what he alluded to.....
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Browning lever action .308 - 10/01/14
Thanks for the replies. Went to test the extractor for tension, it popped out, Tried to reinstall and made the plunger take off - ya I had one of those mornings. Took gun to gunsmith and had him put it back together (charged me $5). Chamber has some rough machining marks that he thought was the reason for the problem.
Should have mentioned just bought the gun used and was the first time I shot it. Explains the $325 price.
Laffin'. At least you got her fixed..........
Posted By: tmitch Re: Browning lever action .308 - 10/01/14
Don't think he got it fixed yet. As others here suggested, and your 'smith confirmed, a rough/pitted/dirty chamber is the most common cause of extraction (not ejection) problems. Depending where and how bad the rough spots are, you or a 'smith might be able to polish it out enough to work. If it's rust pitting then your bore might be pitted also and a new barrel would be about the only solution. If they're machining marks from the factory chamber reamer, it would be worth a call to Browning.
I'd say the extractor spring tension is most common cause. It is a well documented/common problem with them.....
Posted By: tmitch Re: Browning lever action .308 - 10/09/14
You get your BLR sorted out yet?
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Browning lever action .308 - 10/19/14
Plan on giving Browning a call when I get some time during there working hours. Gave it a real good cleaning and will shoot some more to see if it helps. Chamber is clean with no rust pitting just some machining lines around it in different spots.
© 24hourcampfire