Home
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Merit adjustable apertures - 10/08/14
Anyone use them and if so, how do you like them? Pros/cons? I'm thinking about putting one on my ghost ring site thats on my Marlin 1895 XLR 45-70.
Are you considering the #4 Hunting disc? I've been thinking about that one for my '95 Marlin. They're proud of them at $48. It got 5 stars from 6 reviews on Midway usa.
Haven't really made up my mind yet on which one, still trying to decide if this is the way I want to go with the aperture.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Merit adjustable apertures - 10/29/14
I use two of them on lever action tang sights with hooded front sights;

-One on a Marlin 39, the ghost-ring effect is great for cowboy silhouette shoots.

-The other is on a short barrel Savage 99 x 358 brush gun.

The adjustable aperture makes adjusting for low-light conditions easy, and when I dial it down in bright light it helps my old eyes focus the front sight better (like pin-hole camera focusing).

I don't shoot too many aperture sights, but I'd spring for the Merit every time, no hesitation, they just plain work right.

The only potential down-side might be getting crudded-up or frozen in foul weather, but I've never had that problem, I just go home.
Originally Posted by JeffG

The only potential down-side might be getting crudded-up or frozen in foul weather, but I've never had that problem, I just go home.

And here friends, is an experienced woodsman that knows up from down. There are times to hunt, and times to put your feet up by the fire. smile
Posted By: WTF Re: Merit adjustable apertures - 10/31/14
Nothing wrong with that. When it's time to go to the house, it's time to go to the house.
© 24hourcampfire