Home
Posted By: coyote268 Savage 99 value - 10/14/14
I have a 99f 308 with an older Leupold M8-4x Redfield rings with a length of pull with recoil pad of 13 3/4. Serial number is 1020223 which looking up the serial number Savage says it is a 22 made in 2008. Rifle is in pretty good condition and I would like to get an idea of a price on it. Not sure if I want to sell it or keep it as I don't need two 308's. It has the tang safety and I really don't know year of manufacture. Any help would be appreciated
Posted By: steve99 Re: Savage 99 value - 10/14/14
The 99 didn't survive Y2K. Its older than that, sometime in the 60's probably. Recoil pad is non factory. Pictures would help with an estimate.

You can tell the year by looking at the lug where the lever hinges. On the front of it you'll find a stamped oval with letters and numbers in it. Usually no more than 3 characters. The letter will determine the year. This system began in 1949 beginning with the letter A.
Posted By: 21 Re: Savage 99 value - 10/14/14
You'll get more play on this in the Savage Collectors forum on this site.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Savage 99 value - 10/14/14
Thanks Steve. The area with the circle is mostly worn off from handling so really can't tell. I know the recoil pad is not factory as he had it put one many years ago. My Granddaughter got a buck with it last year but the 308 is a little heavy on recoil for her. Darn, I wish I knew how to post pictures but I'm computer challenged. I can post on email but not here. Thanks again.
Dan
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 value - 10/15/14
It was made in 1961. Being the stock has been cut and recoil pad added, value is likely in the $400 to $500 range. Doesn't mean you won't find somebody to pay more, but it could be quite a wait.
© 24hourcampfire