Home
Posted By: Tim50 Ruger 96/17 Price Check Question - 04/09/15
I saw one of these on a local forum. The owner wants $800 for this rifle. Supposedly in excellent condition. Are these rifles in the 17HMR bringing this kind of money? I know it is up to the buyer to decide BUT I was just wondering if this price is in the ballpark or just wishful thinking on the sellers part! Thanks for any input.
They're bringing good money, but that's at the high end unless it's new in the box or has a Leupold mounted. They're selling on Gunbroker for around $600 used. There's one that's been listed since first of the year for $680 that hasn't sold.
And they're worth it. They are the rabbit killin'est rifles EVA! grin
I was offered $700. for my 44MAG at hunting camp last season but didn't sell because I like it a lot. Scope is an older TASCO 2.5X model with less than ideal optics but it works. My carbine shoots Hornady Leverevolution bullets into a ragged hole at 50 yards but an honest 3 - 4 inches at 100 yards using a makeshift rest. Optics are likely involved. This accuracy and power is "just right" for where we hunt in Pennsylvania.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
The .44s bring a bit more money due in part to the loosening of the shotgun only regulations in some areas. I have one and my SIL used it to put the smackdown on an 8pt. last November.
I have a 96/17 and a spare 22 rfm brl that changes just like the 10/22. The extra brl came off of a 77/22 mag if I remember correctly. I had no idea they were getting that much for them. Also the 17 hmr and 22 rfm use the same magazines in the 96.
Erich
© 24hourcampfire