Home
I'm leaving on a bear hunt in Idaho in a few days and I decided I "needed" a .45-70 to take with me. After looking around, I decided on either a Winchester or a Browning, if I could find them.

I checked on several, and then things all came together. I'll spare you the details, but I ended up with a NIB Winchester Short Rifle 1886 and then a few days later I did a deal with a guy and picked up a LNIB Browning 1886 - both deals I couldn't pass up. Both are the plain variety w/o much as far as decorations - exactly what I was looking for.

So, that leaves me with this question. Which do I hunt with? The NIB Winchester or the older (but with box, peep sight installed, looks brand new) Browning that's 30 years old? The Winchester has the bounce hammer garbage and the safety on it.

On one hand, I tell myself I should use the Winny, because I don't want to get that beautiful browning scratched up. On the other, I prefer the Browning, so I should use it, right? And leave the Winchester NIB and put it on a shelf somewhere?

I haven't shot either one at this point, so I can't compare them that way.

Thoughts?
id shoot both of them and carrie them around a bit, see what one you like best at that point! one may shoot alot better than the other one! good luck on your Hunt!
Browning
Browning. I want a high grade (1993 vintage?) pretty bad and would hunt with it if I had one.
Browning. Don't worry about getting it scratched up how much longer are you going to live?
Browning
Use the Browning. Having a wood rifle refinished isn't nearly as expensive as most think.
I'd go with the Browning.I had the standard grade,but carried mine in a scabbard enough to get a little wear butshot two bull elk with it. Guns are made to be used and not to be safe queens.

Wish now,I hadn't sold it,but it was 13 pounds fully loaded. A tad too heavy to carry around at 10,000 ft
© 24hourcampfire