Home
Hey guys, don't hang out down here often, but I have a Browning 1886 I don't shoot much that I'm thinking of selling, and wanted to see what you guys thought a reasonable asking price would be/if there was any interest here before I put it in the classifieds or on GB.

It's a .45/70 Gov't, the 26" octagon barrel version. Got it NIB from a guy who said he'd never fired it, but had it drilled and tapped for a repro Lyman tang sight and swapped out the semi-buckhorn rear (which I have) for a fold-down model to allow the tang sight to be used. There are a few minor safe dings in the wood. I've put 8 rounds through it on it's only range trip. It just never leaves the safe.. What would be a decent asking price? Pictures below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D&T is fairly well done to my amateur eyes.

I'm waffling on whether or not I want to sell one or two others, might ask for some help on values on those later.
At least 20 years ago,I sold one for $800 in similar condition. I had Williams peep on it and I had replaced the rear sight with a dove tail blank available from Brownells. I think there was a standard grade and premiumg rade. Mine was the standard.

As far as I know they were not in production for very long and I suspect it would be on the high side if $1500 at present.Just a guess now, but it sure would be over $1000.

I killed two elk with mine,but it weighed 13 pounds fully loaded and was tad too heavy to carry around all day even in my younger days.

© 24hourcampfire