Home
Posted By: Motown Mossberg 464 Brush Gun? - 08/25/15
So recently I have had the itch to get back into hunting with a lever gun again. I came across the Mossberg 464 Brush Gun which is laminate and has the mossberg marine coat which gives the gun a stainless look to it, and is a davidsons exclusive. I just mainly want this rifle as a "brush gun" and with a 16.25" barrel I think it should be perfect.

My question is does anyone have any experiece (good or bad) with this rifle at all? I just ordered it from my local dealer and it should be here shortly but I just figured I would see if anyone has any hands on experience with it? For $450 I dont think it is a bad experiment.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...=All&fin=&sit=&zipcode=86323

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Mossberg 464 Brush Gun? - 08/25/15
IIRC, the Mossberg 464s are 94AE clones.
My guess is that it serves you well. Please give us a range report.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Mossberg 464 Brush Gun? - 08/25/15
I don't have any personal experience, but the people I've talked to that had them seemed to like them alright.
I've got one of those. I haven't hunted with it yet, but I did take it out shooting with three teenage boys, and they loved it.

Based on what they were hitting with open sights, it should have decent accuracy.

A teenager learning to love the lever action:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Mossberg 464 Brush Gun? - 09/08/15
I don't own a Mossberg but I like the idea of the fiber optic sight.

I put a FO front blade on my Marlin 1894 and love it.
Should have done it years ago even if it isn't traditional.
I have the 20 inch, blued version. It groups about 1.75 inches at 100 with Lyman 311041 173 gr. cast bullets.

Initially, I had a feed problem. When I cycled the action briskly (or slowly for that matter), about half the time the cartridge would hang up and not go into the chamber.

The action was stiffer than what I was used to. I worked the lever quite a bit and cycled a box of Win cartridges through it several times. The problem lessened. It took a couple hundred shots before the feeding settled down.

I put a red dot sight on mine, but have to find a decent cheek riser for it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Mossberg 464 Brush Gun? - 09/15/15
No personal experience here either; but I've heard some good things about them. Haven't heard of any with feeding problems so maybe that was just an isolated thing. Hope yours is all settled down now; maybe it was just a break-in thing? If I hadn't inherited a Marlin .30-30 lever gun a few years back I'd be giving those 464's a closer look based on what I've seen and heard.
© 24hourcampfire