Home
Anyone have one and what are your thoughts ?

[Linked Image]
Kind of had a bug for a Marlin for a short time, but it passed.
I have one and I like it very much.

I had a ported Guide Gun that was nice and small and easy to slip through thick stuff but it was loud and the length of pull was too short so I laced on a leather butt pad but sold it.
Had an 1895 SS and kept it till I bought the XLR.

I like the balance of the longer barrel on the XLR, laminate and stainless just make sense to me and length of pull is just right.
I sold my rolling blocks and only have the XLR and an LTD also 24"
Yes, I have one. I actually like the longer barrel and proportions, but wish the forend wasn't so fat and oversized..
I have one in 308 ME

Shoots lights out! Factory 160 Gummy

[Linked Image]
Thanks guys, kind of looking for one and leaning 45-70
If anyone has a lead on one at a reasonable price let me know
I have the standard 1895 rifle in blued steel and walnut because when I purchased it I couldn't find the stainless model. It has become one of my favorite rifles. Mine has a ghost ring on the back and a fiber optic front. Where i hunt shots are usually close and the deer are moving. The rifle carries like a dream in thick cover and packs a lot of wallop. Factory 300's are comfortable to shoot but with handloaded rounds with bullets 400-405 at 1850 I use a slip on limb saver. This rifle usually gathers a lot of attention at the range. Over the years the blued finish and walnut have begun to show some wear but it still looks nice hanging over the fire place in the den. I can only believe the stainless model would probably be a bit more durable in bad weather.
I love the Marlin 1895's and 45-70. While I do not have a 1895XLR (they are pretty hard to find) but I do have a 444xlr. Its a nice rifle, very accurate, but too heavy/long for what I want for hunting in Vermont, I am thinking of selling my 444, and picking up an AR10 or something a little different. The only reason I would hang onto one is to use as a base for a custom rifle. Chop the barrel down to 16" and get some nice new furniture. The perfect hunting rifle!

From what I've seen the 1895XLR and 444xlr's go anywhere from $1200-$2000. Just look at the completed gunbroker auctions. Good luck in your search!
If you decide to sell let me know as I really what that model in a 444
Make me an offer I cannot refuse and it shall be yours! Seriously, though, the worst I can do is say no thank you. I will probably be listing it on Gunbroker soon.
PM sent
© 24hourcampfire