Home
Posted By: guntime 1895 marlin Guide gun - 04/17/16
I just bought a 1895 Marlin guide gun from my son-in-law. He only shot it 3 times and thought that was enough. I took it out on Saturday and when I touched her off, I was hooked. my shoulder is a little tender but what a RUSH!!!!! That light weight, short little gun sure puts a smile on your face when you feel the gentle nudge. Anyone else feel that way?

Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 04/17/16
It is my favorite gun. I used to shoot it open sights but my eyesight doesn't allow that anymore. I have a Leupold 4-9 shotgun scope on it now. I started out using 300 grain factory loads but now I use 400 grain hand loads.

[URL=http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/TAGLARRY/media/image.jpg1_zpsnpsni5yz.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/TAGLARRY/media/image.jpg2_zpsjgi1g8yr.jpg.html][/url]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 04/18/16
feel the gentle nudge.

Wait until you exploit the potential in that rifle, if you so decide.

Gentle nudge won't be what you say...(grin)

I have backed off on mine quite a bit and do enjoy shooting the lower end loads, finding that for typical hunting, the +P loads are not needed.

I could hunt most anything North American with a Piledriver Jr at 1650 fps. And now I hunt deer with a 300 grain at 1700 fps.

Both of those loads are semi-plesant to pleasant to shoot.
Would like to find one here, with the pistol grip stock rather than the straight stock.

Steve.
Posted By: 1minute Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 04/19/16
A friend and I have both found them fully capable of clover leafs at 100 yds as well. I also decided to hot rod some 405 grain slugs. If I can find someone to shoot up about 90 rds for me, I think I'll back down during the next loading session. I suspect one could line up 20 or so gallon milk jugs and punch them all with a single round.
I've got one of the 1895 GBLs. It always puts a grin on your face.

For mild loads, I like 15gr Unique under a 405gr cast, for 1250 fps.

For midrange, 40gr RL7 under the same 405gr, for about 1600 fps.

I don't go to the very top with the Marlin.
Posted By: rem141r Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 04/19/16
i got the 1895G ported barrel the year after they came out. sweet little gun. it shoots everything into cloverleafs. lately i have been using the hornady LE ammo and it is a good compromise between the general factory loads and the hot rods. not bad at all on the shoulder.
430 gr cast at 1800-1900 fps will get your attention, whole different game than factory ammo.

For light loads I use varget and 300gr cast. I had some hang fires with the 300gr cast and RL7, so I only use RL7 with heavy loads now.
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 04/23/16
Originally Posted by guntime
I just bought a 1895 Marlin guide gun from my son-in-law. He only shot it 3 times and thought that was enough. I took it out on Saturday and when I touched her off, I was hooked. my shoulder is a little tender but what a RUSH!!!!! That light weight, short little gun sure puts a smile on your face when you feel the gentle nudge. Anyone else feel that way?

Couldn't agree more. So light and comfortable to walk with. By far my handiest rifle.

Its funny, Ive never once felt the recoil or heard the loud ported report when triggering a deer. The shooting bench is another story.

My friend shoots hot reloads out of his.....wayy too much thump for my liking.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 05/01/16

>>>>>>>>>>>>> grin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RAS Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 05/05/16
Rolled over this dude with my 1895 Guide Gun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maddog Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 05/06/16
I've done a lot of hunting with my 1895 guide gun. I've taken bear, hogs, and in 2008 I took the ole girl on a plains game hunt in South Africa. I don't big game hunt like I used to, but it's still in the gun case, and ready to go. I put a pachmyer decelerator recoil pad on it, when I first got it, and that really helped tame her down. A few pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 05/06/16
There is certainly magic in a Marlins lever actions.
Posted By: LovesLevers Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 05/07/16
Maddog,
Very well done!
Posted By: maddog Re: 1895 marlin Guide gun - 05/07/16
my go-to load for the guide gun is 51 gr. H4198, CCI primers, winchester brass, and the 300 gr. Nosler partition, which unfortunately they they quit making. frown

maddog
© 24hourcampfire