Home
Posted By: MikeL2 Modern Henry rifles? - 04/28/16
Anyone have experience with the current production Henry lever action rifles in 30/30? The good/bad points for a hunting rifle? Not looking for comments about the cartridge, just the rifle compared to other lever guns. I've never handled one.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/28/16
A nine and half pound 30-30 with no loading gate kind of turns me off the modern Henry rifles.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/28/16
I have one in .45-70 and I like it a lot. It's wood and bluing are better than my Marlin's. I don't get the objection to the tube loader, it's faster than loading through a side gate but it seems like a lot of people don't like it for some reason.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by JoeBob
A nine and half pound 30-30 with no loading gate kind of turns me off the modern Henry rifles.

Ouch. How about the steel receiver versions? Website shows 7 lbs for those. Wouldn't want bright brass on a hunting rifle anyway.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/29/16
For a hunting rifle I'd be looking for a JM Marlin
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Ouch. How about the steel receiver versions? Website shows 7 lbs for those. Wouldn't want bright brass on a hunting rifle anyway.

They feel a lot heavier than seven pounds but I can't say as though I've ever put one on a scale to see. But if the few I've held weighed seven pounds then a Marlin 336 weighs about four and a half.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by McInnis
I have one in .45-70 and I like it a lot. It's wood and bluing are better than my Marlin's. I don't get the objection to the tube loader, it's faster than loading through a side gate but it seems like a lot of people don't like it for some reason.

I guess you could say it's faster if you shoot it dry, but no it isn't if you shoot a few and top it off.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/29/16
I will say this, the Henry shoots jacketed bullets really well, but I haven't found a cast bullet that it likes. My Marlin is less picky about that.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 04/30/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
For a hunting rifle I'd be looking for a JM Marlin

Ditto.....
I like my little Henry 22WMR a lot but I wouldn't buy one of their big bores....
Posted By: 700LH Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 05/10/16
Henry has or will soon have .223, .243, and .308 levers.
On the web sight now, and I read "available late summer this year."
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 05/11/16
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
Originally Posted by 700LH
Henry has or will soon have .223, .243, and .308 levers.
On the web sight now, and I read "available late summer this year."

I read on another forum that they are running them now and the pre orders will go out in the beginning of July.

If first reports are good I'm in for a .308 and maybe a .223 also.
Posted By: RWE Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 05/11/16
What twist and OAL on the 223?
Originally Posted by RWE
What twist and OAL on the 223?

I sent them an email asking already.
cool then one of us should get an answer.
Twist rate are as follows:
- .223, 1:9";
- .308, 1:10".

Acceptable OALs are whatever SAAMI specs call for.

I didn't ask about the 243 because its a wildcat and will never catch on.
Yep, got that too. I can live with the 223 twist.

That's a fine looking rifle!!

Ought to sell.

Mike
Posted By: Agustus Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 05/12/16
Now that Henry in 308 or 243 looks like it'll be residing at my home before too long for sure!

Love the accuracy that the 45-70 has and ha e nothing but praise to say about it. Love everything about those new offerings from Henry!

Well done and thanks for the link and the attention brought to it!

Rick
Posted By: Bugger Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 06/01/16
Anyone have one in 44 mag - steel, not brass? I'm curious if a person would be able load to load Keith style cast bullets or if they would be to long to function in the action.
To me, these look about right for what I'd want, except for that worthless buckhorn sight - that is if I could shoot Keith style cast bullets or any other bullets that would protrude from the case exceeding "standard" length loaded cartridges.
Thanks
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 06/01/16
have been contemplating their .41 mag. the only one i want. can't afford a marlin .41 anymore.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 06/01/16
Originally Posted by deerstalker
have been contemplating their .41 mag. the only one i want. can't afford a marlin .41 anymore.

That's one I want as well since I missed buying a Marlin when they were out. Got to say that Long Ranger in 223 is mighty appealing as long as the quality is there of course.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 06/02/16
would have to sell a AR 223 and replace it with the Long Ranger, and can't think of one i'd sell! lol.
momma says one bought one sold. sheeesh! women.
Posted By: barm Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 06/08/16

Me too.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 06/15/16
would have to sell a AR 223 and replace it with the Long Ranger, and can't think of one i'd sell! lol.
momma says one bought one sold. sheeesh! women.

You got to learn how to embezzle from your own accounts and sneak guns into the house. Sheesh! Amateur.
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Modern Henry rifles? - 07/09/16
Back to the original question..... I have a Henry 30/30 steel. Really like the gun. It is extremely accurate with the Leverevolutions. It is well built. The "no loading gate" doesn't bother me.
© 24hourcampfire