Home
I have a Rossi 92 45 Colt and was just contemplating whether a guy could use 45 auto rim in a 45 Colt lever gun. Rim is only .004 wider but .030 thicker so that might cause an issue for the extractor. Mine feeds everything 45 Colt just fine, factory round flat nose, WFN, WLN and even SWC's so I wouldn't be surprised if it fed the shorter AR okay. I'm on the slope for another two weeks or I'd give it a try. Any thoughts?
Your gun headspaces on the rim thickness. Unless there is grossly excessive headspace in your gun you should not be able to close the lever completely.
That's pretty much what I'm expecting. I'm not sure how generous Rossi is in their headspacing but will check when I get home in a couple weeks.
Originally Posted by mart
I have a Rossi 92 45 Colt and was just contemplating whether a guy could use 45 auto rim in a 45 Colt lever gun. Rim is only .004 wider but .030 thicker so that might cause an issue for the extractor. Mine feeds everything 45 Colt just fine, factory round flat nose, WFN, WLN and even SWC's so I wouldn't be surprised if it fed the shorter AR okay. I'm on the slope for another two weeks or I'd give it a try. Any thoughts?

Dumb question: Why would you want to do that?

Presumably, you have a bunch of .45 auto rim on hand. Nonetheless why fool with it? crazy
Yes. I have a bunch of auto rim brass on hand. And it was one of those questions that pop into my head when I'm stuck waiting on a meeting and having to kill time. You know the ones where the boss calls a meeting and then is late to it. Leaves everyone sitting there waiting. The mind wanders to funny places in those times.
1. Sell the AR brass on the Classifieds here. I guarantee someone wants it.

2. Use proceeds to buy LC brass.

3. You and the buyer will both be happier.

laugh
I'll hang on to the AR brass for when I have one. I inventoried my 45 Colt brass and realized I had just north of 1100 rounds of it. Don't know how I ended up with so much but with 3 45 Colts to feed I guess it's not that much.

If you could get the AutoRim in the chamber and fire it I think the accuracy would be dismal. The 45 Colt has a generous chamber AND the bullet will have a long jump from case to lands, neither of which will contribute to good accuacy. Auto-Rim is usually loaded with short bullets, 200 to 230 grain and those bullets are very poor in my rifles, even in 45 Colt cases...

Originally Posted by mart

Do you have braille keys on your keyboard ?

Mike
© 24hourcampfire