Home
Posted By: mod7rem Boot advice please - 09/02/20
Hello,
I've been wearing Lowa Cevedale Tech Lite Hunter boots for the past 5 years on all my Stone sheep and Goat hunts here in BC. These have been the best fitting, most comfortable boot I've ever used. I have small narrowish feet size 8 and these boots fit perfect but they are terrible at keeping water out. Only takes a short time in wet brush for them to soak through the synthetic material so I am always wearing gortex socks.
I just finished a sheep hunt and its time to replace them.
Does anyone have experience with other models that may have a similar fit but better ability to keep water out. Possibly a full leather model. Thanks.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Boot advice please - 09/02/20
I’ll be watching this topic as I’m in the same boat with my cabelas Meindls. They suck for staying dry. It’s about time for something new.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Boot advice please - 09/02/20
I really like the Lowa Tibet.
Posted By: chamois Re: Boot advice please - 09/02/20
If Lowas are a good fit to your feet I would take a look at either La Sportiva Trango Tower GTX or Asolo Freney XT GV.

They are both three season mountaineering boots, light, stiff but not too stiff, and by my own experience absolutely weather proof. Being sintetic, their outside dries out much much faster than any leather boot.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Boot advice please - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by chamois
If Lowas are a good fit to your feet I would take a look at either La Sportiva Trango Tower GTX or Asolo Freney XT GV.

They are both three season mountaineering boots, light, stiff but not too stiff, and by my own experience absolutely weather proof. Being sintetic, their outside dries out much much faster than any leather boot.

Thanks for the info, I will check these out.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Thanks Jordan.
How do you find the Tibet for keeping your feet dry?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Boot advice please - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Thanks Jordan.

I keep them treated with Obenaufs, and they can take a lot of moisture before it becomes a problem.
Posted By: ribka Re: Boot advice please - 09/02/20
I have had good luck with SCARPA triolets in snow, rocks and water. Feet stayed dry . Used KUIU gaiters.

Fairly light mountaineering boot.

Loved my meindls but they leaked bad
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Thanks Jordan.

I keep them treated with Obenaufs, and they can take a lot of moisture before it becomes a problem.

Ok thanks for that.
Originally Posted by ribka
I have had good luck with SCARPA triolets in snow, rocks and water. Feet stayed dry . Used KUIU gaiters.

Fairly light mountaineering boot.

Loved my meindls but they leaked bad

Thanks ribka,
I will add those to the list to check out as well.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Boot advice please - 09/03/20

Gaiters may help.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Boot advice please - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Gaiters may help.

Gaiters definitely help but with my Tech Lite Hunters the water practically runs right through the synthetic material. With gaiters and rain pants it helps but not much. I’m not sure if the gortex membrane is all tore up inside the lining of the material or not, but the water gets through quickly.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Boot advice please - 09/03/20
Sitka gaiters work great for me.

Sounds like the Gore-Tex layer has been compromised. May want to seal the exterior membrane if you want to get further use from the boots. If the midsole has been damaged, swelled or changed shape from water, the boots *may* not be able to be saved.
Still waiting (40 years now) for my perfect hunting boot. When they arrive, they won’t be leather.

The problem is not the boots...it's your feet!
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: Boot advice please - 09/03/20
Hello,

I am an ASOLO boots user for the last 15 years. I have now a PW.MATIC 200 EVO GV, a full grain leather boot. Fantastic one!
Have also a last year discontinued LAGAZUOI GV, full leather nobuk boot with all round rubber protection. Also a top, top mountain boot! The actual SUPERIOR GV and TRAVERSE GV are very similar to the late LAGAZUOI GV.
I have nothing to do with ASOLO business, only a very satisfied customer!

Best!

PH
Posted By: ejo Re: Boot advice please - 09/04/20
I just finished an 11 day backpack AK Dall sheep hunt using a pair of Scarpa Kinesis Pro gtx. It rained or snowed 9 out of 11 days and the ground was very wet. My feet were dry the whole time which was not the case for the guide wearing a new set of Kenetreks. He also fought heal blisters as well. I switched to Scarpa from Lowa Tibets mostly due to fit but both pair of Lowas had a hard time keeping water out after a year. The only issue I have with the Kinesis is the stitching on the heal is wearing considerably from the shale slides. First lite gaiters held up very well.
Posted By: ribka Re: Boot advice please - 09/04/20
Originally Posted by ejo
I just finished an 11 day backpack AK Dall sheep hunt using a pair of Scarpa Kinesis Pro gtx. It rained or snowed 9 out of 11 days and the ground was very wet. My feet were dry the whole time which was not the case for the guide wearing a new set of Kenetreks. He also fought heal blisters as well. I switched to Scarpa from Lowa Tibets mostly due to fit but both pair of Lowas had a hard time keeping water out after a year. The only issue I have with the Kinesis is the stitching on the heal is wearing considerably from the shale slides. First lite gaiters held up very well.

good boots on the report. ; ) Surpised scarpa is not more popular with the hunting community
Posted By: atse Re: Boot advice please - 09/05/20
I am using an older pair of Hanwags. They have been excellent at keeping my feet dry. The sole is really stiff and took one whole fall to get broke in. ( about 30 days hunting and scouting.) I spent a week In idaho two years ago hunting mule deer. It was wet and slushy the whole time. My feet stayed dry through it all. They have been good boots. You might look into them.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Boot advice please - 09/05/20
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I’ve made a list and will try as many as I can.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: Boot advice please - 09/09/20
anyone have a favorite online source for these boots? Used to shop at the Sierra outlet nearby but its become a discount/department box store
Posted By: Scott Re: Boot advice please - 09/14/20
Moosejaw or Backcountry are decent sources.
Posted By: Maverick_31 Re: Boot advice please - 09/15/20
I agree with SheriffJoe, the gore-tex layer may be the problem in your boot. It's a little late to send them back, but I'm curious. Why wouldn't you stick with Lowa for the fit, but in a newer model? If they leak, then you could return them.

It took me years to finally find a good fit for my size 14s, but the Lowas are the best for me by far. I started with the high-top GTX Evos, and liked them so much I later bought the lower height Tibets. I finally got the Renegades which wears more like a high top sneaker, very light and comfortable. Three completely different boots for different uses and conditions, but all fit great, and all have been waterproof to date.

Good Luck!
Posted By: bluefish Re: Boot advice please - 09/15/20
I'm walking in a pair of Han Wag Tatra Tops in 10 wide and they are very good so far. Not one blister and a sure footed grip.
Posted By: SLM Re: Boot advice please - 09/16/20
I also have a narrow, low volume foot and these have been great.

You just have to be in touch with your feminine side. grin

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/185336/zamberlan-331-amelia-gtx-rr-hiking-boots-womens
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Boot advice please - 09/16/20
Originally Posted by SLM
I also have a narrow, low volume foot

That's what you're calling it now?

How typical.
Posted By: SLM Re: Boot advice please - 09/16/20
It’s short, but it’s skinny.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Boot advice please - 09/16/20
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by ejo

good boots on the report. ; ) Surpised scarpa is not more popular with the hunting community

The old school Scarpa Rios were the best boots I’ve ever had. Fit, function, everything.... Only bitch would be that they were heavy. At the time I didn’t care in the least.

Pretty sure they use different lasts now as the new boots don’t fit as well. It may be a natural vs synthetic thing. I dunno.

I currently have a pair of AKU’s that have held up well. Next pair might be a pair of LaSportivas.

One thing I have found with most all new boots is the trend to narrow soles. I don’t like it. The boot may be EE but the sole itself is skinnier than SLM’s pecker.
Posted By: centershot Re: Boot advice please - 09/16/20
Crispi Summits
Posted By: AHM Re: Boot advice please - 09/24/20

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are top notch and have been a great all around boot for me for many years.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Boot advice please - 09/25/20
I have a narrow foot also and have been wearing the Hanwag Tarta Top also and it fits like a glove. It does have a stiff sole but that was one of the reasons I got them. When hunting in steep country my legs do not get as fatigued climbing up, just like waking up steps.
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hello,

I am an ASOLO boots user for the last 15 years. I have now a PW.MATIC 200 EVO GV, a full grain leather boot. Fantastic one!
Have also a last year discontinued LAGAZUOI GV, full leather nobuk boot with all round rubber protection. Also a top, top mountain boot! The actual SUPERIOR GV and TRAVERSE GV are very similar to the late LAGAZUOI GV.

Best!

PH

I would have gone ASOLO long ago, but my feet are too wide. Also, now I like a higher boot. In the real world, how do GoreTex socks hold up? Any good?
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Boot advice please - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hello,

Best!

PH

I would have gone ASOLO long ago, but my feet are too wide. Also, now I like a higher boot. In the real world, how do GoreTex socks hold up? Any good?

True, that's why I got extra pair of wide that were available for when my users wear out. I don't see that happening in this decade. If it does, I'll buy a set of common top of the line vibrams and sew them on the way the old ones come off.

I have an extra pair NIB WIDE ASOLO full grain with sewn vibram lugs size W 10&1/2 . PM if interested.
Posted By: Nashville Re: Boot advice please - 10/22/20
Hanwag Alaska GTX’s for the last three years and got a pair of Hanwag Trapper GTX’s yesterday to try out as well for this Nov.
Both insanely comfortable and the Alaskas are holding up well. I took my Alaskas from the store straight to a two week spring bear trip when I got them. I didn’t water proof them until after. No hot spots and no wet feet from day one.
© 24hourcampfire