Home
Posted By: WoodsWalker Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/24/07
Anyone that has even had a picnic outside could easily see that Bear (Bernard?) Grylls is a ridicules clown. Anyone following Bernard's advice would probably die of exposure or serious injury. Despite a poorly hidden PFD during a self inflicted white water belly ride and mystery maggots that magically became mealworms the general public didn't seem to get it. Somehow climbing down an ice water fall or getting soaked with freezing water 100% of the time was view as a realistic survival strategy. Climbing rope bridges and massive trees and any other thing over 10 feet is smart too. Drinking elephant dung and all sort of tropical water even with a canteen to boil the stuff was viewed as reasonable. Swimming under log jams are also shown as necessary.

He often spins this heart-felt speech about how his family gives him the strength to survive. But survive what? The continental breakfast served at the hotel?

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN2439321520070724?pageNumber=1
Posted By: Brother Dave Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/24/07
You telling me something you saw on TV was fake? Imagine that....
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/24/07
All that guy is missing is his partner named Beavis.........

I have seen some stupid crap in my day but as far as survival goes this show is right up there w/the worst.

Doing the downhill running body rolls and other stunts i've seen is the absolute opposite of what a person should really do.
That's TV .........

Come on Brother Dave you KNOW if it's on tv it's got to be true.
Posted By: Brother Dave Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/24/07
If you ever see him do an episode in terrain you know something about, his foolishness will become immediately apparent...
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/24/07
I like how he skinned out a dead decaying red stag for the hide to keep warm for the night....said it fell off the steep terrain and died smirk
Posted By: pointer Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Yep, quite the 'chode'! On the otherhand, I will watch Survivorman...
Posted By: Partagas Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
I watched half of one episode where he was in the rockies. I thought this guy is the biggest joke I have ever seen. I geuss someone that is from NYNY might believe it but sheesh, discovery should be ashamed.

It's no Dirty Jobs, that is for sure.
Brother Dave, if it was on the internet would you have believed him then? grin
Posted By: pointer Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
How about in Field and Stream... laugh Didn't they do an article once... wink
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
I saw this knob for the first time last winter and was simply amazed that he could keep a straight face while being filmed. The guy should be a poster child for Life Flight or something.

It was all I could do to bite my lip so didn't burst the bubble of my little eight year old nephew who was loving every second of the show. He had his Boy Scout knife, compass and some other crap piled on the couch with him and was apparently the exact age of the target audience for this stoopid show.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
It really should be against the law or a few folks sue the crap out of him.... dis service that can kill folks under the guise of info thats supposed to save you..... and not simply "entertainment" is wrong, IMHO. Like telling you its good to suck on your rifle barrel.
Posted By: MarkG Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I like how he skinned out a dead decaying red stag for the hide to keep warm for the night....said it fell off the steep terrain and died smirk

And did you notice the BULLET hole behind the shoulder of that red Stag! It's there, you can see plain as day when he pulls the hide back, but it is only in veiw for a second or two. I wonder who shot it and if it was in season.?

I like the one where he starts out on ski's (and ski boots) Then they magically turn into hiking boots half way through the show.

Bear is full of it, but it least he may bring some survival awareness to city type folk. I have friends that think he is hard core, I just laugh.
Posted By: MarkG Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
I was just thinking. I know this guy is basically a fraud, but I can help but watch his comedy of error's. It's kinda like the first week or two of american Idol, when they show all of the really sucky people who are in denial about there talent level. They suck, but you can't turn the channel. That is kinda how I am with man vs wild. It is rediculous, but I have to watch, so I can point that out to everyone. lol

At least Les Stroud's (suvivorman) new season starts on Aug 10th.
Also he will be on Larry King tonight.
Posted By: Walker Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Anybody see his improvised knife sharpener? ... The crushed rock particles on a wet stick?
He couldn't just grab a flat rock out of the crick he was standing in, for some reason. Fuggin maroon.

Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
My personal favorite was when he tied his knife to the end of a stick to keep cape buffalo and lion out of a little cave he was sleeping in.

For me it is kind of like watching cops, look at what he is doing and pretty much do the opposite.
Posted By: 2rocky Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Originally Posted by 222Rem

It was all I could do to bite my lip so didn't burst the bubble of my little eight year old nephew who was loving every second of the show. He had his Boy Scout knife, compass and some other crap piled on the couch with him and was apparently the exact age of the target audience for this stoopid show.

Yeah, I get a little riled when I see him obviously doing "show-off crap". One nice thing though is that It has my daughters (ages 8 and 6) interested in building fires, and camping out. watching Hannah Montana didn't do that. I'll turn on S-MAN for them when the new season starts.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
My kids love it (4 & 6) and it gives them something to watch outdoor related. The comment "no, you really wouldn't do that" comes out of my mouth alot when we're watching.
Posted By: GregW Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
My favorite is when he jumps in a quicksand pit, sand pit, mud pit, etc. and then shows how to get out of it...

What a douche...

I love his running down the snowy, rocky hills. Great way to break something out there if you are in a real survival situation which is the LAST thing you want to do as it will probably mean your death....

It's ALL about the ratings, PERIOD....
Posted By: prostrate8 Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Oh, come on! His "made for TV crap" is 10 times better than most all other "made for TV crap". What do you expect us to do, read a book?
Posted By: iambrb Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
I am so glad that you posted this! I have seen this and the show Survivroman, and for Survivorman, at least I can say it is one guy all by himself for 7 days, and he is not taking chances!

I could not help but notice that this turkey mentioned that he is accompanied by a camera crew! I will admit that the 1st episode I saw was in the Everglades, and he at least seemed reasonable. But heck, when I saw his ass sliding down snowy hills, riding rapids, and going thru snow caves, I realized BS

makes for good sound bites though........
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Rob Bredl of "Killer Instinct" in the real deal-

http://www.barefootbushman.com/pbushtucker.htm
Posted By: Lonny Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Originally Posted by jds44
My kids love it (4 & 6) and it gives them something to watch outdoor related. The comment "no, you really wouldn't do that" comes out of my mouth alot when we're watching.

My kids get a kick out of the show also and I find myself saying th exact same thing. Most of what the guy does is down right stupid.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
So do not watch it, I don't.
Posted By: MoTurkeyHunter Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
If you watch the one where he is in Utah with the wild horses you can see the horse shoes on them. That is pretty funny.

Posted By: Lonny Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
In the episode where he uses a inflated trash bag to float down the river in Montana, you can see the lifejacket underneath his jacket as he floats through the rapids. Even my wife who knows almost nothing about survival stuff rolls hers eyes at some of the things he does.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Originally Posted by Lonny
In the episode where he uses a inflated trash bag to float down the river in Montana, you can see the lifejacket underneath his jacket as he floats through the rapids. Even my wife who knows almost nothing about survival stuff rolls hers eyes at some of the things he does.

I spotted the lifejacket too, and that was the final straw. From that point I questioned his fire starting skills, navigational skills, whether he slept on an air mattress, and just how many Big Macs his camera man packed along for him. The guy's a fraud and a dangerous role model to crumb crunchers and city slickers. It could be a good show with valuable info, but prolly wouldn't carry the same ratings since kids and city slickers out number the intelligent.
Posted By: Partagas Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Everyone should write discovery and tell them what they think.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
You telling me something you saw on TV was fake? Imagine that....

grin
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/25/07
It's amazing because it could be such a good show. I actually enjoy watching it. The problem is, he gives good advice one minute and then the next does something completely inappropriate or unsafe. How the hell is running through the Rocky Mountain forests in the dark safe? Even assuming there is a bear, mountain lion or wolf out there. Are you telling me that staying in a protected shelter where you have a fire is much more dangerous than running from a born predator in the dark. Heck, that wouldn't even work in a parking lot. If you haven't seen that episode you need to watch. When I saw it and he said that he had to leave my jaw actually dropped open.

They could do the exact same show while explaining the appropriate thing to do as they go along. Hell, include the camera crew for all we care. If they change the focus of the show to educating people without sensationalizing, they will still succeed.
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/26/07
Survivor man is a much better show. Discovery will be running a new season. At least Les shows how someone could get lost. A Kayak floating away. Dirt bike broke. Bush Plane crash. But Bear (Bernard?) drops in out of the sky like Santa. Les also did some little gear reviews like the seeming worthless wire saw (broke in 5 seconds) Magnesium fire starter and Mylar survival blanket. Not that anyone should take survival advice from a TV show however at least Les does not go out of his way to swim under a log jam or look for any body of ice water/glacier runoff etc etc etc for a refreshing winter swim. Oh yea that hits spot at 10 degrees. Also think Les was first and Bear (Bernard?) copied the show and added stunts to win out in the ratings. I could be wrong on this but heck Bear lies too. Wonder if the hotel serves pouched eggs with his continental breakfast during the times he was supposed to be surviving. However in his defense anyone climbing down an ice water fall would need a hotel bed for a few days. Or maybe a hospital bed for a longer duration stay.
Posted By: Fireplugisback Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/26/07
Man vs. Wild = Survivorman + Jackass

The disapointing thing is that the ratings winner will likely be the survival loser.

Fireplug
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/26/07
Additional links about the superhero:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6911748.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770

The epicenter of BS:
http://www.beargrylls.com

And a funny:
http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1732898
Posted By: djp Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/26/07
For a real show of bush skills and someone who could actually teach survival, watch or read Ray Mears.
Ray Mears - Bushcraft
His stuff is very interesting and informative.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/26/07
Just saved it to my outdoors folder. Thanks.
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/27/07
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker
Survivor man is a much better show. Discovery will be running a new season. At least Les shows how someone could get lost. A Kayak floating away. Dirt bike broke. Bush Plane crash. But Bear (Bernard?) drops in out of the sky like Santa. Les also did some little gear reviews like the seeming worthless wire saw (broke in 5 seconds) Magnesium fire starter and Mylar survival blanket. Not that anyone should take survival advice from a TV show however at least Les does not go out of his way to swim under a log jam or look for any body of ice water/glacier runoff etc etc etc for a refreshing winter swim. Oh yea that hits spot at 10 degrees. Also think Les was first and Bear (Bernard?) copied the show and added stunts to win out in the ratings. I could be wrong on this but heck Bear lies too. Wonder if the hotel serves pouched eggs with his continental breakfast during the times he was supposed to be surviving. However in his defense anyone climbing down an ice water fall would need a hotel bed for a few days. Or maybe a hospital bed for a longer duration stay.

I would like to apologize to the MB for the following misleading statement about Bear (Edward Michael Bear Grylls?).

"Wonder if the hotel serves pouched eggs with his continental breakfast during the times he was supposed to be surviving."

It appears that he didn't even have to subject himself to the indignity of a continental breakfast.

"In one episode filmed in California's Sierra Nevada mountains he was shown biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and boasting that he was living on 'just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire'.

Viewers were not told that he was actually spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, where the rooms have Internet access and is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770

Posted By: 222Rem Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/27/07
Yep, that was my #2 link.

I guess he's cooler than me 'cause everyone knows him and I'm an average dude living in Orygone, but I still think he's a disservice to the viewing public, and a disgrace to the SAS.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/27/07
It's a TV shows guys. TV shows are about ratings. Did anybody that watched more than 10 minutes actually believe it was real? It's entertainment, watch it for wht it is.
Posted By: MarkG Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/27/07
On the topic of survival, I saw this the other night on the military channel. It comes on again Saturday Morning at 10am.
Marine Corps Survival School

It was pretty cool cool
Posted By: jds44 Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 07/27/07
I watched that as well, both espisodes. I'd seen part one before, but had never saw part two. It was great.

You had to love the looks on the trainees faces when they dumped them back out into the wilderness after they thought they were done.
Posted By: mdv1state Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 08/07/07
anyone ever see this guy?

http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/ind...lineupId=277013944&titleId=240061273

seems a little more practical
Posted By: rattler Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 08/07/07
listed to an interview with "Survivorman" a couple weeks back. he said part of the reason he doesnt have a camera crew with him is after about day 3 he would be attacking them for a granola bar. his will power isnt high enough for them to be there and him do it for real grin IIRC also he didnt have a support staff(meaning sat phone) to call for help until last season. all the first shows were him by himself with no way to call for help if the chit hit the fan.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 08/08/07
I'm surprised we haven't seen "Survivor Chick" surface as a series yet. Get the girls in on it.

- TJM
Posted By: AMRA Re: Man vs. Wild fraud - 08/08/07
Down here in Alabama we had a guy who had a weekly hunting and fishing show that came on during the weekends.Now to watch his show you would have thought this guy was the greatest hunter since Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett.My brother-in-law was in South Alabama ,entering his prize beagles in some field trails
when this douche bag showed up in full camo with his film crew.
They had 2 turkeys in a cage with them.My bro in law saw them set up to film the "hunt" and the great hunter start calling the "wild turkeys" , then he saw the film crew poke the turkeys with a stick to get them out of the cage. Then "BWANA" blasted them with his 10 ga. Remington. My bro in law said after " BWANA " finished his speech in front of his film crew about how he had "called up the 2 wild turkeys and harvested them. He walked up to the great hunter and told him what he thought of his B.S. show. The host, he said , just smiled and winked at him.
AMRA
© 24hourcampfire