Home
Posted By: MarcTaylor Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
BORING!

Can you list an accomplishment that might lead someone to believe that you have something to offer a member of this site. Consider it your resume...

Not everyone is at the same level of experience, and that is a wonderful thing, but a blank profile on someone who is an antagonist and brings nothing to the party is pretty lame.

Give us something! Please

Taylor
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
This year I hunted bear, sheep, moose and mountain goats in Alaska. I didn't get a sheep, but not for a lack of trying. The goat was a solo hunt and I learned alot about a new rifle and myself and gear. It was a perfect hunt in alot of ways, and I feel blessed for having experiencing it.

I have been in Alaska for 8 years and try to hunt everything, every year. It's become a liability that I'm addicted to...

Taylor
Posted By: sportsfan7292 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
hello sir,

my name is henry. i read that you were a marine scout/sniper instructor. i would like to know what it takes physically mentally emotionally to become a scout sniper. it has been a dream of mine for a few years. i own nearly every book on the subject. i have so many questions. are you willing to answer them. if so email me at [email protected]

thank you sir
Henry,
If you own nearly every book on the subject, then you know alot more than I knew before I first fired a M40A1, back in '85, on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.
Join the Marines and spend a couple years in the grunts and MAYBE you will become a sniper as well.
Maybe.
Nothing I personally can do for you at this point.

Taylor
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Mark,

Those of us who oberve this site regularly don't need a "resume" posted for those whom we've come to respect.

In my opinion respect is earned based on continued observation, it is not based on a resume. This comes from years of corporate experience where resumes build someone up, but in the real world, the person doesn't live up to the hype.

To me, obervation and discussion, show me the person. Not trying to discount your request, just trying to put it into perspective.

In response to your request:
Family Man & Father, Dog Owner, Hunter (NH white tailed deer & bear, Muzzle Loader, shotgun, archery and rifle) , Hiker, Backcountry & RV Camper, Reader, Traveler (Mexico, Carribean, Canada & 39 states) & Business Professional (edited - this is what I do, not who I am).

I would also say that with regard to your response to Sportsfan7292, it seems clear that he has read all of those materials and still has questions, which he has asked for your guidance on. I'm curious why you can't aswer his questions, as that certainly seems like something you can "personally" do for him.

Not trying to piss you off here, but if you're asking for information on people so that you can determine their level of experience, it would seem to reason that you could go out of your way to help those that are asking for your advise.

Food for Thought - Have a nice day.

NH Hunter
Posted By: bluffview Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Ron, noob to this site, found it linked on Kifaru's site. Recently separated father of 2, well 3 actually, adopted my wife's daughter. Been fishing since I can remember and hunting since I was old enough to do it legally. Became interested in backpacking as a way to get to more (read: better) fishing and hunting locations. Also got tired of spending more time packing/unpacking for car camping trips and figured if I couldn't carry it on my back it wasn't necessary. Now I will do backpacking trips just for the sake of doing it, lots of places to see.

Can I stay?
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08

Welcome to the fire Bluffview!

NH Hunter
Posted By: Brad Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
I've found it's pretty easy to figure out who's what on this site... if you pay attention. "Most" of us here are around to learn and share what we know in a friendly manner. Posts like yours and the attitude it expresses are part of the problem, not part of the solution... and that is BORING.

Posted By: smokepole Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
+1, Brad. Anyone here is free to ignore my posts if they don't like my "resume." I will say I get a lot of good tips about gear on this site, and I never felt the need to ask for a poster's "resume" to judge the value of the information supplied. It ain't hard to figure out.
Posted By: bluffview Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Thanks NH Hunter.

I recognize some members presence here by their use of the same handles here as on other sites. I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch and have learned a lot by visiting forums like these. OTOH I don't consider myself a poser either. If I have some info that I feel others can benefit from I will post it. Have had the opportunity to meet some members from Backpacker.com, the midwest crew (as well as most members here and elsewhere) seems like a good bunch. This site is obviously more targeted towards hunting and fishing than SummitPost or Backpacker, I and some other members wouldn't mention a predator hunt on other sites.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Most people here, as in other aspects of life, have done what outdoors things they have "accomplished" because of the circumstances they were born into and out of desire.

I happened to be born in 1946 in a place which was largely still wilderness and into a family who pioneered in the West Kootenays 115 years ago, after over 20 years at the BC coast, so, I had the opportunity that someone born in NYC did not, it's that simple.

Many of us gravitated to wilderness work as we grew to adulthood and some remained in it most of their lives, it was not about becoming a "mountain man" or an "expert", it was simply opportunity and personal interest.

So, I tend to think that no matter how much/little wilderness experience a person has, that person can still contribute ver valuable info. and suggestions here and everyone is entitled to a certain level of respect as we are ALL ...real... and our various experience/age and interest levels are equally valid, for us.

At 61, I have a lot of remote wilderness experience, but, I know a guy in northern BC who is ten years younger than I, who has far more than I do and is a master bushwhacker who can make me look like a novice.

I have probably supervised 500 people in various aspects of bush forestry work, trained them in basic Grizzly coping techniques and other safety issues, but, I have not nearly the Grizzly experience of several other BC men I know or of someone like Phil Shoemaker of Alaska.

I do this for FUN, not for competition and I am wiling to listen to anyone's opinion, among my favourite posters is Woodswalker from New Jersey, the most populous state in the USA, a young guy, yet, his highly practical and realistic experiments and opinions derived therefrom would make him a real asset on a wilderness trek/camp/work project in remote northern BC, the Yukon or anywhere I have ever been.

Sure, some of us DO know more, have greater experience of some types and are more emotionally suited to long wilderness stints alone, for example, but, this does not invalidate the opinion of someone else who reports his honest findings after using a certain item of gear or new exercise techniques he has learned, whether he lives in Eddontenajon, BC, or San Francisco.

There are more good guys and fewer dorks here than ANY MB I have ever looked into and I, for one, want to preserve the camaraderie, friendship and genuine respect that is the usual situation here.

A guy like EdT, who has more solid gear experience and testing info. to pass on is a HUGE resource to me, and, I suspect, others as well; his opinions certainly have assisted me and I have yet to see him make a comment that I have not found rock-solid, why fu*k this up, just to "longdi*k" around like a teenager???

I would enjoy seeing this forum grow tenfold and more chime in with their opinions, anecdotes and questions, this is a lot of fun on a Vancouver morning when the hiking trails are closed due to avalanche dangers and I am tired of painting this old house!!!

Of course, we have to watch a certain Viking from Montana, after he imbibes "Moose Drool"..... smile smile smile
Posted By: 340boy Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
I am 40 yrs old, single, and have lived in Central or Southern Idaho most of my life.
I have been backpacking, fishing, hunting and skiing Idaho for 32 years.

I am a chemical engineer by profession.
I have grown to quite enjoy the 'Campfire and the backpack hunting forum very much.

I do not consider myself an expert in backpack hunting, more of an enthusiast.
What is important to me is that there are a lot of folks(at the 'Fire) that are polite, honest, and willing to help out people like myself with their experiences and preferences.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
I typically avoid these "call out" threads as there is rarely any usable info in them. The other thread is pretty well trashed now and I'm annoyed enough to say something about it:

I'm firmly with Kute ,NH, & Brad on this. I know who's who and who's credible just by being here and observing.

MT - you have derided "post counts" here in the other thread. It's true the count doesn't correlate with wilderness experience but it DOES correlate to time spent interacting here.

These guys with thousands of posts we know pretty well. You can say anything on a resume. Getting along with people year after year is a different matter entirely.

I wonder at the motivation of someone who only shows up when his name is mentioned, or one who has caused this much animosity with a post count of a couple dozen......

carry on.

Well said, Lefty...
Posted By: ken999 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Kute- WW is from Conn...the other vast wilderness area here on the EC. grin
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Ken.

For me upstate NY or Maine is the end of the Earth. Those woods eat people........ eek grin
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
I thought that he said he was from "Joisey", must be an old age brain fart, I guess. I always figured he has that FN-FAL and other such toys due to the proximity to "the Sopranos"..... smile smile smile
haha...you made it outta here ok the last time...looking foward to seeing you next month.
I have never actually set foot on the east coast, but I flew over Northern NY, Maine, etc. on the way to Germany a few years ago.
I was amazed by the amount of forests and mountains I saw.

Looks like beautiful country!
smile
It is!...

I've "flown" over the northern part of your state w/ Google Earth a few times...got dizzy just thinking about how much big woods you fellas have....WOW!...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Kute-
I'm from Joisey. It's a good place to be from!
Posted By: Vibe Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
LOL.
Everybody posting info - Is anyone updating their profile?
I'm no "expert" at anything on this board. Did about 15 years of camping with BSA raising 3 boys. But don't BP hunt...yet. Which is why I visit here, finding out what it is I do not know.
I can only afford the retail outlet gear, but then again I'm not likely to punish it like some of these guys do either.
Hanging out here is like hanging out on a benchrest shooting board when all you have is a Marlin 22, and an old one at that. laugh
I've done that too...Even competed with it, and did not come in last. laugh
Posted By: rost495 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Ain't hard to tell who to ask questions to about what... don't need to read a resume.

Jeff
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
I'll play, but I mostly keep my mouth shut here because I am not yet a big game backpack hunter.

When I was coming up, Dad was strictly a bird hunter at the time, not being able to afford a deer lease, so that is what I learned. ALWAYS have been interested in wilderness survival. I started backcountry skiing solo at 16 yrs old, in 1979. Became proficient in Telemark style with skinny skis. Spent college at Texas A&M, was in the Corps of Cadets, did not take a contract but spent every weekend possible with my buds with minimal gear, did a lot of ropework off of highway bridges and out dorm windows with no formal training, just rope and carabiners, old style, not even a climbing harness. Whatever we could find to jump off or prusik up. Ski mountaineering in Colorado, then the White Mtns. of New Hampshire when I moved up there for grad school. Started a mountaineering club with two other guys at the school I was at, teaching a load of newbies how to get out in the mountains safely. No incidents other than a twisted ankle on one guy learning to ski. Moved to Oregon for a postdoctoral position, ski mountaineered there and in WA and BC almost year-round. Started a family of two kids and necessarily slowed way down. Took up driving sled dogs and been learning that for the last 13 years, been up to 50 miles into the wilderness, alone, with those dogs, and no method of outside communication. This is not supported racing with trails cut by snowmachines, checkpoints and places to crash. This is self-supported solo wilderness trekking.

I hope that at least qualifies me to pipe up on winter wilderness survival and travel. I'll pass on the hunting aspects and just shut up, sit back and learn from the rest of you.

I do use an Ultima Thule bag and like it. But I don't give a rat's tail what you use. Use caribou skins for all I care.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
old style, not even a climbing harness.

Not even a webbing swami belt?
No, I had an Army surplus twisted rope, two 'biners, and some prusik loops I made. We cut a piece off the end of the rope for a belt. No webbing. Had to worry about which way you fed the rope through the 'biners, otherwise you'd untwist it!
Huskyrunnr,

This is just my opinion, but your sort of experiences are one of the reasons I frequent the Backpack hunting forum and I hope you will share more of your adventures with us here!
smile
Posted By: smokepole Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Believe me, the feeling is mutual. As many have said, no resume is necessary and there is always something to learn. I know I've learned a bunch from everyone hanging out here.

I was reading Deep Survival last night, a book that I heard about HERE, and many times it's the self-described experts who fool themselves into thinking they're on their 100'th cakewalk and they end up in deep scat.
Dave- 50 miles isn't quite far enough to be considered a backcountry ace...sounds like your a mile short....me, I'm 46 or so short...lol...
Ken, you're right, I guess it is kinda lame! But we both get out there and try don't we! That's what counts.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Using a dulfersitz on vertical rock is literally a pain in the ass. BTDT, will do almost anything to avoid it doing it again.

Posted By: kenaiking Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Well, I may be one of the few that truly respects Mark, but I dont like to have a full profile just because of the internet fraud thing. I have met Mark many times and he is full of good advice. He justs comes across as gruff when he posts JMHO. I only like to post on what I have done or what I can be helpful in.

That being said I may be one of the few "young bucks" around here. I am only 26 years old but grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska. My family has owned a guide service on the kenai since the early 70's and I spent my fair share of time on the water and in the woods. Started backcountry skiing and mountanerring when I was 12 years old. Went on my first sheep hunt when I was 10. I bow and rifle hunt, but my true passion is fly fishing. I have worked in ski and mountanerring shops since I was 15. Managed the work part of a busy ski and bike shop. When I graduated high school I decided to go to collage at UAA. Graduated and became an air traffic controller. Just moved to Bozeman where I can work and play all the time. I feel gifted to have the opportunitys I have had to be in the woods and on the water.I hope I can share the information I have with you all.
My first sheephunting companion was 62 and he could walk away from me uphill anytime he wanted. I was learning the ways of backpack hunting and he WAS NOT the guy to learn it from. It was really funny how little he thought of gear, packing and so forth. He made up for it with fortitude.

Once he brought .270 shells for his 7mm Mag. He realized it and then guess what - he shot at a sheep with them!

I started packing his gear for him after that.

I adore non-experts, because the learning process is most of the fun, isn't it?

I try to hunt everything every year up here, and I just hope I can sustain that and not get bored with it. Right now I tell myself I don't need to go to Africa as an extension of my hunting, but I know that time will probably come.

As for my brash manner sometimes: I've spent considerable time building a good reputation up here, and although I don't need to be stroked, I don't need to be provoked. I've now opened a small retail store that has grown at over 20% per year for the last 3 years. I just took on another lease, well, nine months ago, for storage, because I am astounded at how much gear I'm moving out of here. There were a few niches that needed filling, however, and I took those on. Right up the street from Sportsman's Warehouse, which I shop at regularly myself for some items.

I will only sell things I believe in and use or have used and find solid. I bet only 10% of my customers have ever heard of an internet forum, so I can't be built or broken because of crap that happens here, it's just that I don't like ill will, period. Life's too short for that.

Anyway, seriously, take the time to get to know each other better and at least post where the hell you're from in your Profile. My mind needs frame of reference, that's all, and my bet is that alot of yours do as well.

Taylor
a good post. thank you! smile

this is where I live (at the bottom of these hills):

my everyday hiking grounds
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

from the top:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Thats some beautiful country Lefty, thanks for sharing!
thanks! these are two of my favorite screensaver pics:

looking north from the spot #1&2 were taken (xmas day 07)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bet you might have a nice muley or 2 hiding on top there somewhere.... wink
and a few goats too wink (the goats actually are doing quite well here)
before the color was all gone:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Goats are definitley on my priority list, hopefully I can draw a permit this year.
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Blank Profiles - 01/11/08
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

I've now opened a small retail store that has grown at over 20% per year for the last 3 years. I just took on another lease, well, nine months ago, for storage, because I am astounded at how much gear I'm moving out of here.

So, I should respect you because you can SELL lot's of stuff!!! I bet you I own backpacks that are older than you are.

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Originally Posted by HUNTS

I've now opened a small retail store that has grown at over 20% per year for the last 3 years. I just took on another lease, well, nine months ago, for storage, because I am astounded at how much gear I'm moving out of here.

So, I should respect you because you can SELL lot's of stuff!!! I bet you I own backpacks that are older than you are.
Which proves what? Look, we finally got this thread back on track, either post something useful or move on.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
here's the zoomed out shot (from the house) that shows the approach through (ironically) Taylor canyon grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Awesome country lefty, looks like some of the country I hunted when I lived in Idaho.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08

Nice Post. Thanks Mark.

NH Hunter
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08

Utah,

That looks alot like Northern Idaho. I was out there for business last year and had to spend the weekend hiking. Great country!

Thanks for sharing.

NH Hunter.
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
AkMtnHntr,

I'm not the one who came on this forum questioning all our expertise. From what he's posted so far I can tell you his "resume" is a little thin.

Secondly, you're not the forum policeman so I'll thank you to refrain from telling me what I can post. I don't see how it's any of your business anyhow. Let the guy defend himself.

Take a look at the original posting, numbnuts, my reply is ON topic. Are you capable of comprehending the written word???
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Wow. How do you follow something like that?

Anyway. Beautiful Utah country. Just Beautiful. It gives me that nostalgic, old West feel for some reason. I think it's because your mountains are so much older than ours. Did you know that the Chugach Range, here behind Anchorage, is/are among the most recent peaks created. Which is why they are so sharp. Here's a picture from a sheep hunt this year:
[Linked Image]

Sorry about the ham in the picture. For some reason I don't take too many scenery only photos. I'll work on that!

Taylor
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Marc,

Whatcha packing in that pic? McM swirly stock?

MtnHtr
Yep, all my bolt rifles have McMillans. Different patterns on each. This is a model 7 in .30SAUM. Nice and light.

Taylor
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
my resume is pretty well posted in my profile, plus where I live

I think I was just an average hunter in Alaska, but guiding really helped sharpen my skills, 40-60 days afield gives you a good chance to do some practicing.

Here's part of what I learned from the experience, there's some guys around that have BTDT to the max. Was lucky enough to work for one of em. He is/was truly a very good outdoorsmen.

Also been blessed to have a great hunting pard that has schooled me muchly in the way of Alaska and gettin around the country here.

He took a back flip off an aircraft wing (big aircraft C-146) and
landed on the concrete, didn't kill the hard headed bastid, but it certainly could have. That and other injuries catching up with
him he's no longer in his prime, but when he was, I wouldn't think it prudent to brag about how fast you can walk/climb. The [bleep] was a specimen and an aerobic freak of nature.

I feel I can hold my own, but I've seen better men than myself and have had the pleasure to spend a vast amount of time in the field with them.

also know an old boy, short legged, pot bellied guy that used to haul his sheep out on a trapper Nelson while wearing jeans and a flannel shirt and cotton jersey gloves and at 52 years old weren't no slouch about getting round in the mountains, attitude can make up for a lot, that and toughness.

So what'd I learn?

Even the guys that have BTDT ain't always right and can learn something new, from folks with varying experience in the backcountry.

and no matter what level of stud you think you are, there's a guy waiting with a big surprise in store for you, yep Father Time.

Nobody beats him....ever, some hold out longer, but he wins, everytime.

so all you can do is live life to the fullest extent possible and if fortunate to gain something worthwhile from your endeavors, share it and pass it along to the up and comers.

I don't care if you live in Kansas and can't see a mountain, if you love to get out and love the thought of being in high country or flat country or the 40 acre parcel of timber that's about all that's left in your country in pursuit of wild game and it speaks to your heart like almost nothing else does, we've got more in common than most folks. Whether you're using a Walmart Coleman on sale sleeping bag or tough enough you don't even need a bag when you're up here.

To all of you that love God's great outdoors and enjoy it whatever manner you can afford I salute you. We're brothers, heck you can tell THAT by the way we fight! (grin)
Posted By: ironbender Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Dang if you ain't a philosopher! wink
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Glad to see this thread has turned out for the better, it's great to be able to read these and gain an immense amount of knowledge from all of you guys!

Mr. Taylor, I see that you're wearing the Sitka gear. Just wondering your thoughts on the brand, as I've been strongly considering purchasing the Mountain Pants. Are they comfortable, do they dry fast, and what about toughness and durability? Those are my main concerns, as where I hunt I have to stomp through briar thickets a lot, and would not want pants that would shred apart easily. Thanks in advance.

Secondly, in the above photo, what boots are you wearing?
Posted By: stillhunter73 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Get out the vinegar and water, boys! It's DOUSHE time!!!!

What an F'ing hoot! Post your resume so ding-dong can take you seriously. Good God almighty! I guess if I filled out all the minutia on my "profile", Mark would be happy; while one could have 10,000 posts and be a [what is it, Mark?] girly-man.

Before too many folks take this thread too seriously, realize that this thread exist because MT believes he is the real deal whilst everyone else here is completely phony.

How come Mr. Super Sniper doesn't mention that he tried to go to cooking school at CIA in NY? Too girly for his new mega-hunter persona?

Here's the reason I don't fashion a resume (it should be plain to understand for all but Mark): I'm not looking for work. I sell nothing, care less if anyone listens to me, and care less what anyone else does- EVER! See, I don't use these MB's to push up my ego. They're a simple way to communicate with a few folks who are too far away to see, and occasionally share information back and forth.

While Mark's mere presence was sufficient to have that last thread circling the bowl fairly quickly, this thread was born in the septic tank and can only leach out from there.

Mark has a reputation for being aggressive, and MANLY. He's got a long history of trying (in vein, mostly) to turn any reasonable debate into sheer penis envy. His goal, of course, is to convince himself that everyone actually envies his.

Go back and track his actions through that thread. I think he's more irritated with me than most. I was fairly restrained about a myriad of things I could have commented on. I settled with stating that I thought his tests were lame, and the glorious mountain-hunter-bag was a poorly built POS. This nearly immediatly sent him posting a flurry of pics of his legions of kills, pestering notions of profiles being insufficiently maintained for his taste, and now this boondoggle of a thread...

He would dare not address the fact that his miracle bag was poorly built. Not an utterance. Just pictures of racks, and comments such as "I'm your F*****ng hero".

Amazing salesmanship this suberbly seasoned individual shows. Amazing tolerance for criticism. Buy his bag and not like it, you get his "full wrath". One doesn't have to travel far through the annals of various message boards to find that this tactic was adopted straight from his daddy, JW. Another jar of urine, masked as a gear provider.

Based on his pubescent postings of his hunts, nearly in direct reply to statements that his wonder bag is garbage, I further know that filling in my profile would do nothing to enhance his understanding of anything. And neither will any of yours. Unless you are standing atop a dead elephant, or perhaps furnish a pic of a dead Kodiak (with a bowie knife sticking out of his eye, and a claw sticking out of your a$$), Mark won't deal with you.

He's a child, and has absolutely nothing meaningful or intellectual to add to anything. He can't deal in the notion of intelligent conversation with regard to any matter. He can't handle the concept of speaking on the varied aspects of outdoorsmanship. He can't participate in a thread that isn't directly posing him as the subject. Why? Because he doesn't have the depth, the character, or the fluid thinking to participate in much of anything; which is precisely why he doesn't come here and post about anything other than the jesus-bag.

I could be wrong, though. He did claim to sell something like 100 of them since they were built. A whole hundred. And counting, I'm sure...

I'd be able to take him seriously if he ever added anyhting to a thread about stoves. Tents. Fire building. ANYTHING that didn't have to do with that stupid bag! Why doesn't he generate a new thread about something he should be intimately aware of: how 'bout a detailed thread as to why lamilite is so great, how it works, and why such bags require no draft collar? How about a thread from him explaining to all us retards, how the human body functions in extreme cold, how heat is saved and lost during sleep in cold weather, and what mechanisms come into play through the course of rigorous cold-weather hiking?

You'll likely see no such thread from him because he doesn't know boo about such issues. he knows only how to tout the greatness of his bag, and explain to you harshly that your penis is lacking if you don't believe him. He also would never likely start and maintain such a thread because he knows this MB is loaded with enough experienced outdoorsmen to fill his dumpbox right to his tummy, and that he would be proven erroneous too much for his little ego to stand.

My resume starts and ends with "blow me" so far as this thread (and its true intent) are concerned.

And I could hardly care if such a shallow, locker-room minded dolt ever took me seriously, or not.

Btw, my wonderbag began to immediatly migrate once washed, and had already begun to lose loft prior. You can be assured that posts of moose and goats will follow, shortly.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
But how do you really feel?
Posted By: stillhunter73 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
I covered it. smile
Posted By: Milo_AK Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you, you can come over to my house and [bleep] my sister!
Posted By: Shag Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
z
Posted By: Kodiman Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Oh no....Shag, You didn't just say that out loud did you???

AkMtnHntr is gonna be really mad at you for that!!!!
Oh yeah... for those that care.

My profile...

Born and raised hunting in AK with my Dad.
Ford owner.(chicks drive chevys)
Remington owner.(see #1) Swarovski owner. (never had a swaro fog,or fail in anyway)
Wiggy Bag owner. (3 of them)
Super Cub owner. (nuff said)
Guide license owner.(like to help others)
My dogs owner.(that's actually up in the air)He's 9 yrs. old but I think he is coming around...

I'm a pretty simple guy....

Posted By: Brother Dave Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Dude..haven't seen you around for a while.
Been busy making memories and more than a few regrets... Life is good....
[Linked Image]

Not boots at all. A really heavy-duty hiking shoe called Merrell Chameleon.

Not waterproof. I like wet feet over wet feet in heavy, waterproof boots. These are extremely light and have great support and traction. I wore them on three hunts last year and will start with them again this year.

Boots are overpriced and over-rated for alot of hunts in my opinion. A couple years back I went looking for a rugged-enough shoe that will take on and quickly expel water. This is the best I've found. I can "walk them dry" in about 15 minutes. Change socks the next day and drive on. I have never had any issues with then and I'm sticking to them for now.

Sitka Gear - Love it. Great pattern. Really blends in. I hunted all year in the Mountain Pant without issues. Yes, they dry extremely fast and do not work against you while climbing.
I'm sticking with them as well.

Yep, I sell and use both so this is officially a sales pitch, I guess... (cheesy grin)

Thanks for asking,
Taylor
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
I fitted and sold a LOT of those in my last months as a "wage slave" and I knew young guys who wore them in the Himalayas and here in the Coast Range. I must have better support due to injuries and age, but, those do kick azz for quite a few guys I know.

NOBODY yet builds the mountain hunting boots I would like, but, as this sport grows, I hope to see more development take place.

Do you know if Sitka is going to make pants without those big leg pockets like BDUs, I would buy some of those as I hate those pockets. Interesting gear, it certainly seems to be working for a lot of guys in a lot of environments.
As pointed out, I've updated my profile to reflect the Associates Degree in Culinary Arts.

Anyone need a list of hotels and restaurants where I may have worked?

Livin' in a glass house, with a teflon suit on,
Taylor
Kute,
It would create a slight waste, but just take a razor blade to the pocket and remove it. (?) I sorta find it handy for changing from a ballcap to a beanie; stuff like that only.

Check this out:!!!
How's this for blending in?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
I agree with Marc, the Sitka gear is awesome!! It is all I have worn for the last 2 years in all kinds of weather.

Kute, the Sitka leg pockets are not just loose material like the military BDU pockets. They are very, very sleek.

Posted By: Huntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Marc,
Have you tried the Merrell Sawtooth? I hunted most of my elk and bear hunts in a pair. Fantastic support for the money!

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Active-Footwear/Hiking/Mens/Sawtooth.aspx
Posted By: 340boy Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
I have been very impressed with my Sitka Mountain pants this last season.

I liked them enough that I just recently purchased a Sitka Downpour jacket, but not had a chance to put it to the test yet.
However, it looks like it is very well made, I especially like the way the hood fits.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
I had thought those shoes to Merrell, but was unsure. They make a really great product. I've got a pair of low top hiking shoes that I am absolutely in love with.

The Sitka clothing seems to be a real great product, I'm definitely going to drop some coin on some very soon.

Thanks for the information!
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Blank Profiles - 01/12/08
Resume WTF!!!! will there be a quiz also? Buzz off troll somewhere elde.

LC
Posted By: 379 Peterbilt Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
Hi Marc, 379 Pete here. Remember me in your store last September? I still get a chuckle when thinking back to meeting you and seeing you chit yourself with glee when I told you I was Martentrapper. God that was funny!! grin.. Hey sorry for messin' with ya. Ultramag coaxed me into it HAhaha. Seriously though, you struck me as a straight shooter and a stand up dood.

My profile? I keep it vauge, see'ins it's the internet and all. Plus I don't have nuthin' to sell either. But I used some of the gear you sell, down on the Yukon this last year and it all held up well. Plus, you shore is a swell guy to sell us all that Mt house grub for cost!! I still have a ton of it left. I think I could turn a profit on it....(grin)

Hey I saw the Wiggys thread you posted on the PV site. That was pretty good info for the Wiggy newbs/naysayers. My wiggys bag has kept me warm on 2 separate hunting trips in Ak, and it's nice to sleep warm and toasty when the tent is a balmy 29. Jet boil is kick ass too.
Posted By: 375ultramag Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
You were supposed to get me vid of Marc Chitting himself with your introduction 379.

Posted By: 375ultramag Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
I find it funny the guys bashing Taylor on here. Keep pouring gas on the fire. He Loves it. Notice his quote (The Ham) in the picture. That is Marc. Yeah he can be arrogant but from knowing Marc like I do he is the real deal. He will go to bat for a friend or fellow hunter when needed.

Call him a salesman if you want because that is what he is. He also happens to sell the best bags and day packs IMO you can buy along with other stuff.

He is also more of a hardcore (crazy( hunter ) than most on this site will dream of ever being. He hunts wet, sleeps wet until the bag drys him out and starts out wet in the morning for many days at a time in rugged terrain in Alaska just to shed weight on packing stuff in.

Anyone that knows much about me knows I pack a small village out in the woods but am scaling back slowly due to the thinking of Marc and for the most part he is right.

Call him Mr Egomaniac and see if he cares. Find me a former or current Marine that isn't damn proud of what they did for their country let alone the other services our great country has to offer and see how proud they are for what they have done.

I wouldn't own another bag than a Wiggys. So I back Marc 100% on the Wiggy Bag. I actually screwed up and flew out with just the thin liner bag this year on my moose hunt :-) with 379 Peterbilt

I still stayed warm. Jetboils I second. I am so happy I have mine.

I have cut and pasted that post of Marc's from the Pristine Ventures forum he recently did on his test on the bag and sent it to many friend outside that have come up or are coming up or that I know buy stuff that I use because it works.

Ask 379 I beat the hell out of my stuff and also expect maximum performance or I can it and start over. 379 has purchased most of what I have and loves his stuff accept my headlamp I use. My Wiggys bag will always be with me and I have to buy another one this year for my son as he is going with me next year.

My wife was in Prince William sound on a broken down boat with some friends two summers ago and were out there for a few days in her WET Wiggy bag and she came home saying it saved her life.

I am a firm believer unless you live here or hunt in Alaska you have no clue what it's like to hunt extreme conditions like we have. I moved up here 11 years ago now and have also hunted hard while here. And it only took me one year of living here to realize i needed better gear or I was in trouble.

What Marc sells or uses I back 100% accept the damn Wiggys pillow. ;-)

And last I back what he says as he has done it or he doesn't speak about it and in that case he isn't too proud to learn or ask someone about it to find out.

What most people don't know about Marc is he is pretty damn smart on how he hunts on not much of a budget. He hunts close to home without extravagent fly outs and long boat rides consuming thousands in fuel. He targets an area close and researches it and has drawn some tags that are close to home. He has utilized what he has and does it close and has been very succesful at it.

More so than most hunters up here. Especially for the short amount of time he has been here in this great state.

My profile - Hell I don't even know what it says.

I live in Alaska and moved here from Washington 11 years ago. I spend hours researching moose and moose hunting and live for the Swamp Donkey hunt. I have killed moose every year but one since I moved here and most years I have killed my moose and a proxy moose for an elderly person and yes it's legal to do with the proper license. So to date I am at 17 moose and 3 black bears and one Griz. Next year I plan to hunt Caribou for the first time and go after goat with the tag I am going to draw in Kodiak.

And take my son on his first Yukon Moose hunt as he will be 8 years old.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
He is also more of a hardcore (crazy( hunter ) than most on this site will dream of ever being. He hunts wet, sleeps wet until the bag drys him out and starts out wet in the morning for many days at a time in rugged terrain in Alaska just to shed weight on packing stuff in.
[end quote]

and for some perhaps tis impressive, and some not and I'd have to guess most here not so much.

Color me in the "not impressed" crowd, when you've done 42 days in the field, home is just some nylon and it rains hard for 35 of those days, get back to me about being wet, you might find an audience with me.

he wrote "a" book that's a long way from writing "the" book about hunting in Alaska.

and while I've been lucky to hunt this great state and love it, I have to chuckle at the notion that guys that "don't live or hunt here" are clueless DSMF'ers to a man. there's some guys that live in other locales that have both hunting and bp hunting a pretty firm grasp as to how to successfully do either.

and as far as the whole arrogance gig, he ain't the first Marine I've ever encountered nor the folks on this site.

Montana Marine comes to mind, the guy has a clue about some shooting related stuff, but he's got his own style and I've never seen arrogant as part of his recipe.

In fact for my mileage a teaspoon of arrogance lasts me a long while, it can be amusing if you have the wit to pull it off, but the look at me, look at me I'm a bad [bleep] runs it's course fairly quick with the players, the fans seem to have a greater appetite for the stuff and I'm sure the mileage varies.

My guess from limited contact with Marc, is he'd probably be a hoot to hang or hunt with.

But I am a firm believer that what you read and who you hang out with has the greatest bearing on what you will become in the next 5 years. dang near 50 years of life experience only confirms the above and I've yet to see much of an exception.

or maybe it just takes birds of a certain feather to be able to hang out or stand one another.

but the whole marketing gig of the maker of the bag Marc sells and some of Marc's attempts at either marketing or defending such, just don't do much for me.

it'd be one thing if the bag lived up to it's hype and in fairness I've only used the Kifaru special or whatever that gig is called now, and I know enough folks use the regular line of Wiggy bags that they must have some merit, but it's mostly just BS, I've survived just fine in bags of other manufacturer's for many years and actually like many of their features better than what I've seen that Wiggy or Marc can offer.

that doesn't mean that I think folks that use and like the stuff are clueless, it's no different than them choosing a different caliber for their rifle that ain't in the running to have a place in my stable.

We just have different preferences for a variety of reasons.

but I've whacked a bunch of critters with my caliber of choice for decades, the fact that some guy jumps up and down and says that caliber is chit, leaves me unimpressed, though I know many will run off to the store to buy whatever the guy shouting the loudest is toting, specially if he's got a bit of a resume/or profile (grin) to add credence to it.

has to be a fairly effective marketing tool, find guys w/out the confidence in their ability which often translates into questioning their gear choices as well, school them a little on hunting and hell you could sell them Coleman sleeping bags.

I've seen that technique used in Barney's often when I was there shopping and just have to chuckle to myself when seeing it in action. though Barney's does sell some good chit.

that Anchorage is a prime place to find a lot of hunters and wannabe hunters, comes as no surprise to me and a good place to peddle outdoor wares.

that the internet hunting forums are the same is no eye opener either.

but if you're gonna scream and shout at the fans, you're gonna get called on it sometimes by the players, just a cost of doing biz, no more no less.

that some fans take exception and try to get a pep rally going don't surprise me none either.

this post isn't intended as a sleight to either Marc or your defense of Marc or his wares.

just calling it as I see it.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
with 20/20 vision, to boot........
Posted By: stillhunter73 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
Originally Posted by 375ultramag

Now that I know he's a wacky, zany, crazy hunter I'll have to join the bandwagon.

How is he starting out "wet in the morning" when he's using the magic lamilite? Hmmm.

The holes in Marc's stories are big enough to throw a cat through.
2 threads, countless posts and still no actual response from ANYONE in refute of the shoddy build quality of thier gear. Amazing.

Has anyone wondered precisely how the wonder bag can weigh sub 3.5lbs and run "easily" to 25 degrees while it's 0 degree cousin (superlite) runs around 7lbs???????? They use the same material to insulate, btw. Might be time for a reality check.

Lamilite succeeds when an excessive amount of it is applied. Marcie masks this by using lamilite clothing up the wahzoo inside the bag; thereby simulating the obese 'superlite'.

David Copperfield would be proud...
His test can be perfectly replicated with a moonstone synthetic and (fill in the blank) synthetic clothing.

I'd do it tonight if we had harder weather and the troll was starving.
Posted By: Shag Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
I'd be more impressed with Marc's profile if all It said was "manager at Mcdonalds for 3 yrs".

Never did judge a book by it's cover. It's what's on the inside that counts. The guy that is humble and continues to impress while building his business. That's the man I'll give money to.
Posted By: razorsharp1 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/13/08
I guess I take a different view on my hunting experience and what I get out of it. For me, successful hunting is not the growing list of animals and subsequent photos that I have collected. For me it is the hunt itself--the climbing, working, spotting, stalking, patience, woodsmanship, and then making an ethical shot. That is why I chose to hunt with a traditional bow, no sights. I have shot three elk and two deer. The last elk at 25 yds. and all the rest well under 20 yds. I have no antlers and no photos, just memories and meat in the freezer.
Despite these accomplishments I don't feel anymore masculine because of it because I agree with what Shag says above.

Still, I encourage anyone to try the bowhunt at least once. I bet you will see hunting in a new light and I bet you will no longer need to feel accomplished by how wet or how cold you were or how big the antlers or skull measure.
In the tradition of "blank profiles", I'll add that this "Pristineventures" site won't let me post and 2 emails to it's management have garnered no response.

I don't care enough to try further, though I strongly suspect this is targeted as I used the same handle and it's clear I'm not there to acclaim lamilite. Had the exact same thing happen on an Adirondack forum.

Good job, Marc! You got an audience! Why not go preach over there and let us dingwads just fall to the wayside for lack of your attention.

Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
To the guys who claim accurately to know me, thanks for the support! But you see it'll get you nothing but 1 post stretched into 4 about how I'm not really that way, so let's just sit back and watch a man reduce himself to the likes of a jealous 10 year old girl as 73 seems to excel at...

Caution: High blood pressure kills!

Taylor
Posted By: stillhunter73 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08

Caution: High blood pressure kills!

Taylor

Take the cheap shots, tough guy.

You truly are the retarded adolescent son of JW. Good boy.

Why not just post publicly the PM you sent me, sniper?
Care to refute the fact that your selling a lamilite insulated trash bag, yet?

Tell us how high the quality is.....
[quote] I forgot to tell you to GO [bleep] YOURSELF.

But there you go,

Taylor
Owner and Founder, Wiggy's-Alaska! Retail Store, Anchorage, Alaska
Culinary Institute of America Graduate, '98 [quote]

This would be his tough-guy PM while he tries to be amicable in public. Sniper instructer; sure.
Posted By: Brad Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Marc, I'd be curious where you were born and raised.

Thx.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
375 Ultramag:

"And last I back what he says as he has done it or he doesn't speak about it and in that case he isn't too proud to learn or ask someone about it to find out."

Well, yes and no. I have no doubt that Marc Taylor knows his stuff, that he "hunts hard" and so forth.

But I've seen his review of a direct competitor's gear, where he slammed his competition over there on pristine ventures, I believe it was.

He said his competitor's gear was a POS, which is his prerogative, provided as you say, he doesn't speak about it unless he's actually done it.

Well, in this case, not only had he never used the gear, he never even laid hands on it. He slammed his competition based on what he could glean on the internet.

So, all the talk about having been there, done that, and never having to talk about it unless he actually did it...yada, yada....

seems pretty cheap at this point.

Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Originally Posted by stillhunter73
[quote] I forgot to tell you to GO [bleep] YOURSELF.

But there you go,

Taylor
Owner and Founder, Wiggy's-Alaska! Retail Store, Anchorage, Alaska
Culinary Institute of America Graduate, '98 [quote]

This would be his tough-guy PM while he tries to be amicable in public. Sniper instructer; sure.

Did you do that Mark? For shame......
Posted By: rost495 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Don't that antique leather M1 cheekpiece get heavy and nasty in the rain? Must have got a deal on a stock, thats a cheap way to add comb height. I"d do it too though. Even though they've always been fugly.

Seriously, do you actually hunt with that on there?

Jeff
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Well, that was a complete waste of my time and ten to fifteen minutes of my life that I, regrettably, will be unable to get back.
Posted By: redmtn Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Originally Posted by Dakotan
Well, that was a complete waste of my time and ten to fifteen minutes of my life that I, regrettably, will be unable to get back.
Obviously your not reading these posts in the right frame of mind and can u please update your profile grin.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Originally Posted by stillhunter73
In the tradition of "blank profiles", I'll add that this "Pristineventures" site won't let me post and 2 emails to it's management have garnered no response.

I don't care enough to try further, though I strongly suspect this is targeted as I used the same handle and it's clear I'm not there to acclaim lamilite. Had the exact same thing happen on an Adirondack forum.

Good job, Marc! You got an audience! Why not go preach over there and let us dingwads just fall to the wayside for lack of your attention.

If you cannot post there then it's because there's a problem on your end. There are no mods to edit or keep you from posting. So how many days has it been since you tried to register? The owner of that site tends to do a lot of business during the off season, give him time, he'll respond to your e-mails. Marc, or anyone else for that matter has no control over who can post and who can't so that assumption is way off.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
I registered yesterday with no trouble, I sometimes read the Alaskan forums as the conditions there and game/hunting are so akin to those in BC, thus, much of the info. is relevant and useful to me.

Probably just a computer glitch, I like to see everyone participate as more opinions make more interesting reading, as I take a break from house repairs (YUK)!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
The PV forums can be hit or miss at times, seems that during the winter months it really slows down then as spring approaches, things tend to pick back up. Looking forward to your posts kute and hopefully you'll get some useful info from there. Yeah, I gotta agree, house repairs blow but it's better to get them done now then wait until the warm weather approaches. I've been putting off a bathroom remodel for about a year now plus our kitchen/dining room/hall floors need to be replaced......one thing at a time.
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
It will be tough to find a nicer cheekpiece. In the absence of a proper one, as in when the armorer decides he doesn't like it on your sniper rifle, I've made them from duck tape and closed-cell foam.

Once properly fitted, however, a leather one works best and I don't own a rifle, especially scoped, that does not have one attached.

It's not for everyone, but once accustomed to it you'll find your cheek floating above a non-equipped stock, seeking a good stock weld.

The one in the picture was cut less than a month ago, but I've found suitable cheek pads at Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse as well.

Brad - It's searchable info. Just like the fact that Stillhunter73 lives in Oswego, NY.

Yeah, I'm sure that PM lost some of its luster since this program automatically bleeps out the F-word. Shall I call him and tell him?

Taylor
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Blank Profiles - 01/14/08
Originally Posted by redmtn
Originally Posted by Dakotan
Obviously your not reading these posts in the right frame of mind and can u please update your profile grin.

That made me laugh.
Posted By: Brad Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Brad - It's searchable info.

Marc, it's a simple question... since you seem to find it appropriate to give your resume on this forum as well as ask others for theirs, I thought for sure you'd be able to give us all an idea where you're from, since as you say, you've only been in AK eight years.

I have no interest in "searching" for the info and you're obviously embarrassed about where you come from... that's your choice.

Posted By: Shag Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Wish he'd go back to where he came from at this point.
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Originally Posted by Brad
Brad - It's searchable info.

Marc, it's a simple question... since you seem to find it appropriate to give your resume on this forum as well as ask others for theirs, I thought for sure you'd be able to give us all an idea where you're from, since as you say, you've only been in AK eight years.

I have no interest in "searching" for the info and you're obviously embarrassed about where you come from... that's your choice.

On the positive side Brad we all now know that Chawn comes from Oswego (relevance to original question unknown). Anyways there is dam in Oswego if I am remembering right that has a nice run on browns and kings from the lake. Got a nice Brown mounted in full fall spawn that was hooked just under the dam. The job was done from a small shop in Pulaski (hope it�s still there). A note of caution. When they blow the horn at the dam my advice it to stop fishing ASAP. So maybe if everyone is nice to Chawn and if I remembered my upstate towns right as they all blur together we can get the skinny on next year�s run.
Posted By: stillhunter73 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Woods, I work out of Pulaski. I think the dam you are thinking is at the Oswego River. Good fishing in both spots. I caught a 29" Brown in Oswego about 4 years ago.

As to the outfitters and taxidermists, I couldn't even guess who you saw. There are a ton of truly good artists up here.

This last year was a bit ho-hum. We really didn't have the water and the salmon couldnt get in to the river. It was really tough. It picked up in the fall, but that was real late for tourism.
Posted By: stillhunter73 Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08

Brad - It's searchable info. Just like the fact that Stillhunter73 lives in Oswego, NY.
Taylor

Decided to watch a columbo marathon in honor of your sleuthing...

God knows it's too cold for me to go out and camp/hunt HARD!!!

Want to detail the garbage bag you call the Mtn Hunter, yet?
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Embarassed about where I was born? Wow. Now that is reaching pretty deep into the barrel and still coming up empty.

So you're saying that a person has some say as to where he is born or not?

As a matter of fact, "where I was born" is a great part of my identity, especially since I was reared near where I was born. So you may be onto something. It will reveal alot to discover where I was born and reared... Huh?!

Step away from the shovel, Brad.

Taylor
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
It seems to me that the Campfire is going the way of so many other forums and that is sad. I wish that everyone here would lighten up a lot and let us all get back to backpack hunting.

This is my favourite hangout and one that I usually find congenial, I welcome anyone with any level of interest/experience in our chosen insanity ( would you work as hard as backpacking for Elk for mere money?) and I do not give a rat's rectum about resumes, profiles, not even sure what that is or whatever.

Let's cool this now and not wreck this forum with the crap that so many others are full of, PLEASE, GENTLEMEN!
Posted By: hekin Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
I hear ya Kutenay.. .This thing is crazy... Hate to say it Marc, but I can't imagine how you stay in business with the attitude shown on here. It is so absurd to me that I wonder if it really is Marc or if it is someone who is just out to get him and using his name to post.... Is this really for real????
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
MarcTaylor.

As Brad said �that's your choice� and clearly you are not taking. If you want privacy than of course that will be respected. But maybe you should also respect the privacy of those that don�t want to give you a profile. As for me I don�t care.

Here is my profile.

I came in 2nd to last in a rifle match at Quantico.
Hunter and Fishhead of the Northeast.
I can work with metal and stuff�..
Degree in Finance from SHU.
Born and raised in Connecticut.
Worshipful Master of my Masonic lodge.
Past Master and Mason in good standing.

Chawn.

Pulaski was one of my best hang outs for fishing. Aunt Polly�s mustered is killer hot. It is made locally and I passed out on the bar after taking a bet I could not eat a spoons worth. And there was a bar in town named Earls that had my photo on the wall. Know some of the local fish heads too from back in the day. The Salmon slasher and Stymie know me. Unless Stymie is hopelessly drunk. He called me the sub do to a dunk I took when fighting a Pulaski mud shark on South Sandy. Other times it was just �Mongo� depending on the amount of beer. As for fall fishing it rocks. Winter Steelhead is fun too. I tend to feed the fish what they like the most. Cold hard steel.
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Maybe MarcTaylor should be given his own forum on the site seeing how he is the self ordained expert.

Suggested forum titles might include-

"My Balls are Bigger Than Yours"
"Never Question a Salesman"
"Carpetbagger's Corner"
"24HR Flea Market"

Any others?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
LOL......thats funny, keep'em coming!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
A couple of things. I'm one of the older posters here. I've been posting with a few of these guys over at the old "Shooters" board, before Rick ever got this site off the ground.
What I've learned is that, in time, everyone gets to know each other. For instances, if you have an opinion, tell us why. We/I would like to know why you feel/believe that way. That, in the long run, will be your profile or resume.
I find your comments about the boots you post as very interesting. I'm going to look for them locally. I will comment that I've come to a different conclusion. I regularly use Gore-Tex boots and have no touble walking them dry if they get water or snow over their tops. The secret is, I've learned, is to use them with Dalgren socks. They claim that they keep your feet dry. Well, so do lots of others. All the ones I've used, and still use for some purposes, are predominately a wool blend and something else. Dalgrens aren't. They have pure Merino Wool toes and heels, and an Arcrylic arch and tops. They do in fact work. Much better than the best wool socks I've ever used. I can walk my socks dry in less than an hour, even when snowshoeing. Because my feet stay dry, I no longer need insulated boots for cold weather. Kinda nice.
On the after market, add on cheek pieces, not for me. I am opposed to adding weight at that point on any rifle. I can mount my scopes low enough on the stock I use to get plenty of cheek weld. E
Posted By: Hampstead Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Truth be told, I've killed animals with bullets, round balls, buckshot, pellets, arrows, bolts, traps, snares and even rocks. I have never killed an animal with a resume. Where I am from (Lincoln County, Montana) talking proud about yourself is like leaving your fly open and your rigging hanging out. In my experience, nature has an unforgiving way of teaching a man humility. Humility can be a bit harder to find with a full belly in a heated room sitting in front of a computer. smile

What I have found, in my time on the Internet, is that people want to drop other folks into nice, neat categories. Eastern hunter, western hunter, bow hunter, meat hunter, trophy hunter, etc. I'm the first to admit I have strong opinions on issues, particularly those regarding ethics. From where I sit, when we start talking about people it means we've stopped talking about ideas.

The backpacking forum is probably my favorite because there's the highest ratio of horse sense to horse fritters. As far as my credibility, any opinion I give here is worth exactly what you have paid.

Now, in the course of conversation (and some dust ups), you will learn more about people. I'm a life member of the RMEF and a big fan of the organization. I am old enough to have kids but not grandkids. I live in Maryland (for the time being) but will probably wander back west when the kids are all in college (one left at home). Like others here, I generally decide over time who is giving sound advice and who isn't. While I don't know much about Kute, I have come to respect his opinions on gear. This said, I'm always learning something useful, here or in the woods... as well it should be.
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
"Hubris for Hunters"

"Narcissism over Nature"

Others???
Posted By: Vibe Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Originally Posted by Eremicus
A couple of things. I'm one of the older posters here. I've been posting with a few of these guys over at the old "Shooters" board, before Rick ever got this site off the ground.

I still have a t-shirt from that site. laugh
But at the time I was more into rimfires.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Cool ! E
Posted By: ehunter Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
I am finding this forum amusing about now. I am fairly new to this site but I have really enjoyed the information that I have learned from others here and there is some good info. I don't have the backpacking hunting experience that folks here do but I like to summer backpack. I am finding out that there is some real regional differences for people and their experience varies. For example where I hunt close to home we are hunting private timber land and we are not allowed to spike camp. Or I would have a lot of experience in that area. Instead we have to start hiking behind locked gates around 2:30 or so in the morning to get back 5+ miles to our preferred hunting area. We are also bow hunters for elk and rifle hunt for deer. With that said I think I have a lot of biking and hiking experience with the type of hunting we are forced to do. I would prefer to spend the time in camp and sleeping vs. hoofing it in and out every day. So my hunting and hiking experiences are much different than a lot of you who are able to spike camp.

I think that with any thing you have to take every thing with a grain of salt and I read a lot of the info some I can relate to and occasionally I can comment or add something. As to the gear issue we all have different levels of needs and what works for one may not work with another so you have to experience it your self. While it may not work for you it might for some one else. So go with the flow.

Who I am 51 years old and I have 40 plus years of experience for elk and am a rifle hunter for deer. I love horns but am not a trophy hunter but I will only shoot bulls with a bow because that is the personal challenge I have set for my self. I have killed a number of elk with a bow and have yet to shoot one with a rifle. I live in Oregon and hunt in Oregon. I hunt the rain forest and the high desert areas of Oregon. I have never hunted sheep or goats and will probably not ever get a chance to. But I toughly enjoy those stories told by those of you who do.

I really enjoy all the different levels of experience on this forum and I have enjoyed the sharing of information.

I don't know many of you and will probably never get to meet you but I hope this forum is kept to the jovial information sharing that it has been in the past.

Last but not least some of us are not as articulate with the writing as we are with the word so if our writing is a little suspect we mean well. grin

Lloyd
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/15/08
Woodswalker - Perfect demonstration of what this thread was supposed to illustrate. You had no idea that you and Stillhunter73 had a fishing holes in common! That's good. You might even get together and fish the same rivers together.

That was the point; to find out a little more than gear preferences and discuss which calibers we use on whitetails.

When a guy answers one of my posts, I just like to go to his profile to see where he's from and if we have anything else in common. Not for good or bad, just out of curiosity, that's all.

I said RESUME, but honestly I didn't expet that, just some tidbit on an accomplishment or two. It doesn't mean you respect someone less or more, you just get a better sense for what he/she has been through.

If a guy posted in his profile that he has walked both the Appalachian (sp?, sorry) trail and the entire Pacific Seaboard, I'd want to know that.

We are all building life resumes, whether we post them or not. If a man cannot be proud of his accomplishments, then what's the point? I don't have a critter in any book, and wouldn't enter one anyway if I did, but I hunt hard and have created some great memories that someone may be able to benefit from in the course of that.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Since I went on my picture rampage, which was misdirected, I've received a dozen PM's from you guys wanting to know whether this or that was a good piece of gear or not. It/they stimulated thought and that benefits all.

If I'm put in a position of defending myself, then that is what I'll do, and one need only look at my profile to figure out why.

I too am ready to move on to more productive discussion.

Taylor
Posted By: Ldn Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Hi, new here on the forum. Grew up in MT and have hunted, fly-fished, backpacked, etc all my life. Backpack hunting is my favorite method, and Montana was a great place to do it. High mountain muley and elk hunts were most memorable. A brief few years stint in Oregon broke me in to rain. However, neither was anything like what I've experienced so far here in Alaska. I've only lived and hunted/fished here for about 5 years, but have hunted and taken respectable game, including caribou, blacktail, brown bear and dall sheep. I have never hunted in a place more physically and emotionally grueling than this state. Especially sheep hunting, which I train hard for and do every year. I have realized that good gear can literally mean the difference between life and death here, and I haven't been on one hunt so far here that hasn't threatened my life in one way or another. If it's not the sheep crags that test you, it is the grizzly infested alders, or the raging whitewater/sweepers around the next bend. I will listen to what my back-packing "brothers" have to say on gear, etc, but I will especially listen to those Alaskan sheep hunters who I know full well have tested their gear to the max and beyond.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Interesting...

Resume's sometimes have a value for applying to jobs, though I've found generally most folks are hired based on what word of mouth is regarding how they perform in the work place, and many jobs are essentially filled before the position is ever officially posted, any resumes are recieved, or a single interview conducted. I've also come across a few folks with impressive resumes, that simply can't perform in the work place. Seems the folks that brag the most, once you filter through the bs, there ain't much left. Folks that have really btdt tend to put their energy into planning future ventures and get more out of the doing, then the talking.

I respect folks privacy, and figure it's pretty clear to figure out who knows what based on what and how they post their experiences.

To me, hunting outdoor gear has generally lagged behind moutaineering gear by a generation or two. Though sadly mountaineering gear has gone mainstream and is assembled in 3rd world countries with hit or miss quality, despite prices staying top notch. I also sometimes put a bit more weight into gear recomendations from folks that may not be the bad azz hunter, but just may have figured out how to get around the mountains w/o dragging tons of gear, or getting soaking wet. Though I still think goretex sucks for truly wet condtions, and I've tried it off and on since it came out.

One thing I have figured out is one place I won't be buying any hunting or outdoor gear in Anchorage...
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
That's too bad that you base your decision from internet posting's when in fact you don't even know the man but hey, it's a free country and thats what makes it so great. Just out ot curiousity, do you do any shopping at Barney's?
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08

If a guy posted in his profile that he has walked both the Appalachian (sp?, sorry) trail and the entire Pacific Seaboard,

Taylor

Your spelling seems just fine to me. But you can just say AT and most will know what you are talking about.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
458 Lott - Yeah, I want to go to a PUBLIC FORUM, and PUBLICLY bash a guy and his means of making a living, all the while HAVING MY PRIVACY respected?!

"That aint workin' for me, see."

But that's the way some roll, I guess...

Woods' -
Just didn't want to look too ignernt, and didn't want to take the time to make sure I had the right amount of p's and l's. But usually, I'm a darn good speller!

Taylor

Taylor

Posted By: Brad Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
If a guy posted in his profile that he has walked both the Appalachian (sp?, sorry) trail and the entire Pacific Seaboard, I'd want to know that.

That would be the Pacific Crest Trail... aka PCT.

Posted By: 7 STW Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Thought maybe a stock thread ....Guess not.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Nope, this BS is wrecking this forum, just as it has other similar ones and I am leaving if it continues. I have had it with infantile bullschit.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Big +1!

I hate seeing this forum go the way of some of the others on this website.
mad
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Your not alone..
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
That's too bad that you base your decision from internet posting's when in fact you don't even know the man but hey, it's a free country and thats what makes it so great. Just out ot curiousity, do you do any shopping at Barney's?

That's my opinion based on what he posted on this thread, not what others said. Same reason I don't go to Wild West Guns, I don't have any desire to patronize shops with folks that are full of themselves.

There are plenty of places to get outdoor gear locally and out of state. I don't mind paying a bit more to get stuff locally and to support local shops, but I don't have much tollerance for folks that are full of themselves, and tend to go out of my way to avoid said places.

458 Lott - Yeah, I want to go to a PUBLIC FORUM, and PUBLICLY bash a guy and his means of making a living, all the while HAVING MY PRIVACY respected?!

"That aint workin' for me, see."

But that's the way some roll, I guess...

Woods' -
Just didn't want to look too ignernt, and didn't want to take the time to make sure I had the right amount of p's and l's. But usually, I'm a darn good speller!

Taylor

Taylor

There are many ways of dealing with such situations. All I can say is when a manufacturer or sales guy goes out of his way to badmouth someone that had a bad experience, the manufacturer or sales guy makes himself look bad in the process, and ends up loosing business that he doesn't even know about.

Far and way successful companies are such due to good products and service. If one guy mouths off that the company puts out junk, and a dozen say the product is great, that one guy's opinion isn't worth much. When one guy complains about a product or service, no-one steps in to say how good that product or service is, and the company goes after that individual but not his complaints, it looks bad for the company.

Good stuff sells itself, bad service has it's own rewards.
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Okay, let's kill this thread right here and open it on the topics that branched off if they are in further need of addressing...

Agreed?

Taylor
Posted By: kutenay Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Good move, Marc!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
Agreed!!!!!!!!
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Blank Profiles - 01/16/08
well, so much for the "pictures from home" thread, eh ?? grin
© 24hourcampfire