Home
Haven't used them outdoors, so this review is based on in-home review. After extensive internet research, I decided that the Sitka was just the ticket as a warmer weather, do-it-all pant for use from Colorado to Alaska. [I plan to get a pair of Filson or Cabelas whipcords as a medium pant, and I have a pair of very heavy surplus wool for cold, cold weather]. I'm a 34 waist, though occasionally a 34" pant will be too tight. :-)! I ordered the Sitka in 36, and in loden green (Schnee's, on sale). I think the Sitka camo is perfect as an all-western pattern, but figured I'd use them for all sorts of endeavors where camo might be looked askance at. Wasn't immediately enamored of them, mostly as they seem a little rough - even scratchy - compared to the soft Microtex. So, I ordered up a pair of Microtex in outfitter camo; ordered 34x33.

Microtex. Feel great to the touch, inside and out. Seem to be just the right weight. Nice side pockets. The one-button rear pockets could use a flap. Cabelas online reviews mentioned a lack of belt loops, but they seem fine to me. Waist fits fine, maybe even a little big. Hemmed way too long; I'd been afraid to ordered too small. Just buy them unhemmed and do it yourself. Little bit tighter in the thigh when stepping up onto a high platform compared to my gold standard for fit and design (not including fabric material), the Army BDU. Can probably live with that though, even in the high country. One big problem though: a serious case of wedgie! C'mon, I'm 6'1" 185 (ok 190) lbs, never been accused of having a big a$$. I just don't think I want to hunt for elk, moose, deer etc. while constantly reaching around to pull my pants out of my crack.

Sitka. The more I wear them, the more they grow on me. One seam was a little out of place but think they'll be ok, and I assume I can always send them back for good customer service. Zippered rear pockets are supberb; I rarely keep anything in my rear pockets when hunting, but for hitting the bar after a day of hiking or XC skiing they would be nice. Silicon waistband is awesome. In loden, the "Sitka" logo on the cargo pockets is a bit much, but hey, they're new, doing good stuff and trying to grow. I'll cut them some slack. A bit long on the inseam; normally easy to hem, but might be a little tricky the way the double-front knee extends down the calf. I'm a little concerned that the fabric is too light; you can see light pretty easily through the single layer portions. And another forum mentioned that they weren't real windproof. But I thought posters here and Sitka said they cut the wind. Most importantly, no crack attack!

Think I'll be sending the Microtex back.
Thanks for the review! I've been pretty happy with my MicroTex so far; the dry fast and are comfortable (though I did notice the wedge thing). However, I'd like to have something with at least some weather resistance. I may have to start saving some pennies for some Sitka Gear...
I was really looking hard at the stika 90% pant but they don't have belt loops so I will wait. I don't understand why they would make pants without belt loops for hunting? I also looked at the microtex from Cabelas and didn't see belt loops????
I have the Sitka Mountain pants, which I am quite pleased with, the weird sizing aside.

I bought a Sitka Downpour jacket late last fall, but have yet to put it to the test, but I am expecting good things.

Thanks for the review!
Get some good Whipcord and forget the rest wink
Originally Posted by 340boy
I have the Sitka Mountain pants, which I am quite pleased with, the weird sizing aside.

I'll second that, I was gonna try a pair but their sizing was weird to me, the 34's were too tight and the 36's were too big.
After wearing them around the house all night, I did find that the Sitka are warmer than the thin material would suggest. They remain however, a little rough and scratchy. Not a problem with a base layer underneath, but maybe irritating for summer and early season wear. For a fabric that dries as fast as they would appear to, this may just be the trade off. Although they are cut full and stretch for steep ascents, the seam of the knee reinforcement patch rubs my knee. But other pants would probably be tight across the whole thigh.

What I'd really like is to buy a pair of 36 Microtex, and cut the waist down. But my seamstress skills aren't quite that good.

Brad, I came close to buying a pair of (stained and therefore cheap) Whipcords on ebay the other day, and got outbid and the last second!
Just kidding on the Whips... sort of laugh I love mine, but they are pricey.

I'd buy a pair of Sitka Mountain pants if they fit... they're cut for guys a lot different than me... the fabric sure seems cheap but some of the guys here swear by them and that's enough to tempt me to buy a pair for sure.

Oh, I'm buying some whipcords, just can't fork out $180....so I'm hitting ebay and goodwill (good luck with that, I know) and may break down and buy the Cabela's; at least they are washable.

But I want something for warmer weather and that can get WET WET WET and dry quickly...Microtex or Sitkas seem to be the way to go. The Mammut Champs and Sporthill 3SPs seem a little too expensive for a very specialized use. Sporthill makes a "XC" pant of the 3SP fabric, it's designed more as a running pant or XC ski pant. It's only available in black, and I prefer gray-tan-brown-green solids. But, I think it retails for $100 or so and goes on sale more often than the others. I do, however, generally prefer actual pants to "tights."
I had the Champs for a couple days... they fit great but there's no way I could see the Fabric holding up well for the elk hunting I do. For me, they'd make more sense for sheep hunting and winter stuff. I always seem to come back to Whipcord... it's tougher than nails, is warm when wet, dries quickly enough and just does everything I could ask for a pant for 90% of my hunting. It also is a lot harder to get holes in around a campfire... most of my synthetic stuff is fairly ventilated from campfires!

I do wear a Supplex pant (North Face Tibet) that's great in the early season but mostly I've never liked Supplex beyond a summer backpacking pant for "evening wear" grin It really doesn't dry out all that well IMO.
Are the Sitka's waterproof AND windproof? I'm looking at updating some of the stuff I have (froze my ass off in AK last yr for a mntn goat hunt).
Are whipcords water and wind proof as well? To be honest I don't know what whipcords are. Are they basically ski pants?
Thanks
I have two pair of Filson's "whips", the finest overall bush pants I have ever worn and I wish I had bought them YEARS ago, no more honking 5 lb. woolen heavyweights dragging my azz down all day in the rain/snow. A pair will last a lifetime of hunting if cared for properly and so are worth the cost.

I also bought some Sporthill XC 3SP tights last year, they are CRAP and I have replaced them with Wildthings Polar something XC tights which ARE excellent, but, rather pricey.

I bought two pair of HUGE Microtex pants in Outfitter camo two years ago and I like these very much for warm weather here in BC. They are comfy and dry quickly plus they cost very little, so, if you wreck a pair, it's no biggie.
3sp is better then the Sitka mtn pants if u are in cold , wet , windy conditions .I use Sitka in early season here and then switch over to 3sp in late fall when the weather deteriates.3SP has more stretch in them as well.
I'm surprised JRaw found the Microtex thigh to be tight. Mine (34x32) are very loose and I'm not a skinny guy. My microtex have belt loops.

The Chinese kid sewing them must have felt generous.
Redmtn, I found that my Sporthills pill, hold onto EVERY bit of house fluff and tend to drag on my legs, one of which IS quite crooked. I was some choked after I washed them and have worn them for house stuff as they don't cut it for hiking in the wet/cold, for me, at least. You seem to have success with them and I respect your opinions highly, what gives, are you just a "magic"guy? smile
I've got the Mountain pants and the Sporthill 3SP camo Expedition pants and like them both. The Exp pants really do well in the snow and cold. I wore them for a day hunt hunting moose not to far form the house. I walked in snow that was up to my knee's and the pants never soaked through nor had any ice build up on them plus they were very warm. The Mountain pants have only seen use in warm weather and so far I like them. Mine don't seem to be rough or scratchy as I wore them without a base layer. These are all I wear for hunting.
I should clarify: I found the Microtex plenty loose in the rear of the leg, but they do constrict the top of the thigh when stepping up. I think the front is more of a jean cut, maybe?
Originally Posted by kutenay
Redmtn, I found that my Sporthills pill, hold onto EVERY bit of house fluff and tend to drag on my legs, one of which IS quite crooked. I was some choked after I washed them and have worn them for house stuff as they don't cut it for hiking in the wet/cold, for me, at least. You seem to have success with them and I respect your opinions highly, what gives, are you just a "magic"guy? smile
It would be pretty boring around here if we all liked the same stuff .In my closet i have 3sp,sitka,microtex,various Cabelas fleeces and tons of wool clothing .I have figured out what works for me where i hunt by trial and error thats all.
Champs for me, though I have a pair of whipcords and they are tough, and I can understand the praise. If I was busting willows all day, I think the whipcords would be the ones. If climbing, the champs get the nod from me, although mine are black and I don't like that. I'll drag my azz up the goat mountain in 'em this next October with gusto!
Don
I wore my 3sp pants form sporthill last fall in some snow and cold weather and I liked them too, but I get warm walking very far in them. I thinking the Stika 90% pants would be great in the weather with the thigh vents.

For warm weather we wore these cabelas hunt tech pant and they worked well for us in the early Oregon archery season although not sure they will hold more than a year or 2 as they show some signs of pilling and wear after a year. They are a light weight polyester They are nice on warm days and dry very fast. For the price I can buy almost 3 to one over the stitka pants.

Cabela's Hunt Tech Six-Pocket Pants Item:XH-932265
I use the Mil Surp Desert Camos for warm weather and switch to wool, either whipcords or heavier wool when it get wet and colder. Been known to hunt in the nylon based lightweights, but they don't do much for me in some of our throny brush. The desert camos, however, take the rough, throny stuff as well as anything that breathes.
Here, when it's warm, it gets really warm. So the heavier pants are not practical. Can be pretty cold in the early AM, down to the 40's and then warm up to the 90's during hunting season.
Haven't had the desert camo Mil Spec stuff wet much. Doesn't get much of it wet with the hard shells I use in conjunction with gaitors. Using capliene underwear also reduces any problems with them getting wet and my getting chilled a long way from my 4WD. E
WHERE can a person FIND Mammut Champs that are not sized for skinny, lean, hungry-looking, beer-hating joggers? I would LOVE to have a couple pairs, but, I am NOT a 34" waist and have no bloody intention of starving myself to get skinny!
I have found that nothing beats wool when hunting moose in snowy thick timber with lots of blowdowns. [Linked Image]
You'll find that the Sitka Mountain pant limbers up just fine after a little wearing or washing.

I find them to be a great utility/cargo pant, much like the BDU's, but the Mountain Pant will dry much faster and has some two-way stretch.

It's my only pant right now, and will retain that status for the near future.

Taylor
I was super impressed with my microtex pants this year on the couple hunts I wore them on. Temperature ranges between 70-20 F without any problem for me. I had strongly considered the mountain pants, but for the price difference I can get a couple pairs of microtex ones. It would be nice if cabelas would make the microtex in a color other than camo, loden would be awesome, for a general hiking pant.
TheTone: Could not agree more on Cabela's colors.

Marc: By "limber up" you mean they get softer, and the seams less rough?
I used the Sitka Gear Mountain Pant and Shirt last year and really liked both. I purchased them through Mark at last years Anchorage Sportsman Show and his sizing recomendations were right on. They didn't load up with water or snow and when damp they dried quickly. I wish they were a little more wind resistant, but I've got other layers that can help with that.

[Linked Image]
I love my Microtex for all of the reasons already mentioned. They are on the heavy side, which is great for cold conditions and for padding, but they can get too warm later in the morning in September. And I too have experienced the restrictive upper legs of the pants when climbing, especially when it is warm.
The whole pant leg seems narrow to me, top to bottom. I think this adds to a lack of ventilation which combines with the thicker material to increase the warmth factor. I like this slim profile over baggy legs for ultimate stealth and when I want the warmth. They definately have their place.

I tried the supplex for the first time the other day in windy, cool conditions. I really like them. They are comfortable in every way. They seem to be super thin polyester so I doubt they will offer the padding and protection in the thorny stuff and I will have to wait and see about the moisture retention. But I have a feeling I will use them later in the day after the Microtex gets too warm.
I have both the Sitka Mt Pants and the Sporthill SP3 Camo Expedition pants. Both fit me great. Sitka for 40*+, SP3s for colder... I think the SP3s are more comfortable, but maybe I haven't washed my Mt Pants enough... : ) I wish my Mt Pants were green, but other than that great stuff!
I was wondering if any of you Sitka pant owners would be willing to go stand in the sprinkler for an hour, for the sake of science. Or at least have the wife spray you with the garden hose for 15 minutes and see how they hold up.

I want to get a pair of the Sitka pants, but I'm afraid they would suck like everything else when in the rainforest....
One guy I know tried 'em in our neck of the woods and reported they don't cut it...
That sucks. I'd cut a pretty big check for a pair of comfortable pants that would keep me dry.
Yep...so would I. Still, even if they aren't what you're hoping for (I reckon we're both still searching), they might do OK....

I haven't found the right gear yet either, but get by with a few different types that aren't too bad.
The Simms wader material is good. I need to find somebody to make a pair of bib pants out of them for me minus the neoprene feet. Do you think it's possible to use a flexible glue to glue felt or a light fleece to the outside to quiet them down? I saw that you and Larry championed wader hunting, and I think it could work well.
Call Barney's in Anchorage. They are working on the development of a pant that was designed for the Special Forces. It has a Schoeler (spelling?) type fabric in a very intriguing camo. It supposed to be a competitor to the infamous SP3 Mountain/Expedition Pant.

I checked them out a few days ago and the fabric appears a little rougher on the inside than the SP3s, but Bob claimed the performance was better than the SP3... Will be an interesting new pant to add to the pant debate....
We kicked around a few ideas for the waders, including cutting the sock feet off completely and just wearing regular boots.

Right now I can't beat the system I'm using...two pairs of light Grunden's fleece..one to wear and one to dry...a light pair of capilene long undewear to put under when needed, and the lightest pair of rain pants/coat you can ball up in your pack for putting on top when necessary.

For alpine runs I just wear the capilene under the light rain gear, until I get to the top.

Other option is simply capilene under Grunden or HH full gear...
Originally Posted by Calvin
I was wondering if any of you Sitka pant owners would be willing to go stand in the sprinkler for an hour, for the sake of science. Or at least have the wife spray you with the garden hose for 15 minutes and see how they hold up.

I want to get a pair of the Sitka pants, but I'm afraid they would suck like everything else when in the rainforest....
What do you mean by "holding up"? What are you expecting them to do?? I have the mountain pants and just might stand in the shower with them but i'm not sure what your lookning for as far as results go. Standing outside in a sprinkler ain't going to happen, at least not a for a few more months.
Obviously he's wondering how waterproof they are...but I'm guessing they aren't really. Lots of companies tout their 'waterproof breathable' gear...but it never really turns out to be waterproof when put to the test.

The Downpour pants might be geared more for our conditions, but I'd still have my doubts it'd stay dry inside...
OK, I guess I was looking for more of a test other than them repelling water, which I seriously doubt they will do. Now I don't know about the Downpour pants, their suppose to be waterproof but methinks standing in a sprinkler for 15 minutes will eventually soak them. Guess i'll never know as they are just a little to expensive for me. I'll stick with the Mountain Pants and Impertech.
I was hoping that with a name like Sitka, that it would be geared towards hunting in an island rainforest. If it doesn't make it 15 minutes in a sprinkler, it won't make it hiking through the wet brush, or kneeling down in a muskeg to call or glass.
The Mountain Pant was not designed to be waterproof. It is a hunting pant. It doesn't stay wet long, though, I can vouch for that.

Yes, "limber up" means soften or lose that "new" feel with respect to the Mountain Pant after washing.

hekin237 - Difficult to take a morbidly obese guy's opinion for the performance of a hiking/hunting pant. I guess someone tested it for him and told him how fabulous it was...

Amazing (we) keep reinventing clothing, but use the same ingredients as the last clothing. Polyester, wool, nylon, lycra and cotton.

The mountain pant is nothing more than a camouflage version of you Grandfather's polyester slacks with cargo pockets and articulated knees. The Expedition 3SP Pant is basically polypropelene, which has been around for decades as well.

Rename it, remarket it and call it a miracle garment!

Breathable -- I agree. Something is "proof" or it is not. Breathing is a two way exchange. Breathable garments eventually saturate. Period.

I choose a large waterPROOF garment that allows ample air movement to disperse perspiration. I no longer wear rain pants; they bind and don't work "with" me. If I am walking in something water proof I'll sweat and become wet anyway. Insulate to guard against chill, and keep as much water off you as possible. Totally dry is usually not an option, so insulated and damp will have to serve as "comfortable".

Taylor
I'll take warm/wet over cold/wet any day...sometimes dry isn't possible.
As Marc said, the mountain pant is not waterproof or claim to be. It does dry quickly. They are extremely durable and quiet but if you are looking for something waterproof don't get them.
I love mine.
The Mountain Pant was not designed to be waterproof. It is a hunting pant. It doesn't stay wet long, though, I can vouch for that.

Yes, "limber up" means soften or lose that "new" feel with respect to the Mountain Pant after washing.

hekin237 - Difficult to take a morbidly obese guy's opinion for the performance of a hiking/hunting pant. I guess someone tested it for him and told him how fabulous it was...

Amazing (we) keep reinventing clothing, but use the same ingredients as the last clothing. Polyester, wool, nylon, lycra and cotton.

The mountain pant is nothing more than a camouflage version of you Grandfather's polyester slacks with cargo pockets and articulated knees. The Expedition 3SP Pant is basically polypropelene, which has been around for decades as well.

Breathable -- I agree. Something is "proof" or it is not. Breathing is a two way exchange. Breathable garments eventually saturate. Period.

I choose a large waterPROOF garment that allows ample air movement to disperse perspiration. I no longer wear rain pants; they bind and don't work "with" me. If I am walking in something water proof I'll sweat and become wet anyway. Insulate to guard against chill, and keep as much water off you as possible. Totally dry is usually not an option, so insulated and damp will have to serve as "comfortable".

Taylor

Great statements; obviously by someone who knows what they are talking about, and refreshingly practical. I've given my negative 2 cents regarding Taylor and Wiggy but I have to be consistent and honest and admit when the reverse is also true.
I just don't think the truth about the so-called "perfect" clothing that must exist out there somewhere could be better articulated than in Marc's comments here.
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

Taylor

What are your pants of choice?
Current - Sitka Mountain Pant

Prior - Cabelas Guidewear Supplex

Prior to that - 3SP Mountain/Expedition Pant

Before that I had a poplin rip-stop BDU leftover from before woodland camo.

I'd have to say that the most important aspect of a good hunting pant when it comes to its use in the backpacking/climbing/off-trail mountains is its ability to work with you, not against you. We used to accomplish this with large, baggy cargo pants like the BDU, but the weaving in of polyester and then conversion to poly/nylon produces a pant with a two- or four-way stretch. I check a pant for this by lifting my knee toward my forehead and see if I can bring my forehead and knee together without any binding or tugging on top of my thigh or tight pulling on the butt. These two places are usually the cause of excessive drag when climbing.

I used to find myself pulling on a waterproof pant when the rain or water got excessive and those notoriously work against you as well. This can add a noticeable amount of effort over the span of a long hunting day, causing a bit more fatigue than you need to experience. Now I forego the rain pant, period, and like the stretchiness of the Sitka Mountain Pant AND the fact that it is built on the pattern of a large cargo pant.

Taylor
Difficult to take a morbidly obese guy's opinion for the performance of a hiking/hunting pant.
Guess I shouldn't comment on this thread then... wink

Have you tried the Downpour pant yet? I noticed it's a 4way stretch vs. 2 way for the Mtn Pant.
At $200 for the Downpour Pant you don't "try" it, you "invest" in it! <smile>

I have no need for a $450 set of raingear, nor will I sell a $450 set of raingear that will keep me no drier than a $140 set of raingear.

I've given the Downpour Series a "pass" after "failing" it on value-for-waterprooofing. <frown>

Taylor
Thanks for the info. I was surprised to see the raingear have 4 way stretch and the H2O resistant outerwear have only 2 way... I guess I'll have to keep getting my with my REI One jacket and Red Ledge pants.
© 24hourcampfire