Home
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
What do you guyz favor for lightweight packable rain pants in particular?

I don't hunt in waterworld if that helps you out at all with this. But, I would like it to be light and packable.

Many thx for your time

Dober
Posted By: Brad Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Mark, it was snowing at the house here this afternoon... it's got me thinking about gaiters more than rain pants! laugh

Marmot Precip pants get pretty good reviews:

http://www.rei.com/product/760927?preferredSku=7609270033&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=E8AD1330-6227-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Yeah it tried to snow here as well but didn't quite get there.

I take it these are light and packable?

Thx
Dober
Yupper... should be able to find them on sale for less than $90 too.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...title=marmot+precip+pants&category0=
Posted By: SamOlson Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
I wish my Carhartt's were waterproof...
Posted By: 340boy Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
I bet!
Grin..
Funny thing about it Sammy, years back one of my buds called me Carhart as I wore them so much........<g>

Doober
'squish, squish' goes Sam as he works in the rain!
grin
Laughin'....

A good pair will last.

Actually we didn't even work much today. Made up for it Mon/Tues and maybe Friday....heh
Too bad I ain't Union....grin
grin

Yeah, there are times when Union probably don't seem all bad.

My brother has a saying(from the Army):
"If it ain't rainin, it ain't trainin!"

grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Carolyn and I are both in Marmot Precip right now. last go was frog togs and they worked and were light, but just a bit too bulky. Cheap enough at 15 or so dollars to replace as needed.

My set of precip lived through an AK trip last fall and worked just fine.

Jeff
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
in order of preference for me

Red Ledge

Marmot

Golite, pants only have no experience with the tops

Frogg Toggs

I can make do with any of them, but those are what I like best in the lt. wt. category
Posted By: Boise Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Wife gave me a set of Stika Downpour last fall. It is the best stuff I've ever used. The jacket worked terrific on a nine day hunt where is rained for 8 days. The pants, on the other hand, kept me dry but the lack of belt loops was a major oversight and no blousing at the cuffs. Suspenders have already been added but not taken into the field and I make sure to include my gators.

Posted By: Royce Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Good rain gear- 3/4 ton four wheel drive extended cab Chevy with satelite radio and coffee cup holders located where they won't steam up the power windows- Ceiling mounted Big Sky gun rack so you don't spill food on your rifle- Winter windshield wipers
Originally Posted by Royce
Good rain gear- 3/4 ton four wheel drive extended cab Chevy with satelite radio and coffee cup holders located where they won't steam up the power windows- Ceiling mounted Big Sky gun rack so you don't spill food on your rifle- Winter windshield wipers

If you forgo power windows and use manual cranks you've got the making for a real Hardship Hunt there Fred.
Originally Posted by Royce

That is some serious rain gear!
grin

But, perhaps a little difficult to pack on your back...
Posted By: Royce Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Brad
You are showing your age- Now a hardship hunt is not having an accessible Latte shop with drive through!
grin

How could I have forgotten the Latte!
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
when you've really been out in the rain, doesn't it feel good to be in shelter with heat and watch it rain hard?

I feel sorry for folks that never experience what it is to really be cold, wet and miserable.

you just miss the magnitude of appreciation for things like clothes dryers and roofs and windows.
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
I've said for a while, one of my favorite parts about camping/hunting in 'weather', is getting to NOT be out in the weather once I'm done.

Mark, are you up at Big Sky today?

Carl
Nope

Dober
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
Was hoping for a snow level check, oh well.

With regards to your original topic, I've been using (90% carry - 10% wear) an REI Ultralight rain jacket for a while, and I like it for its purpose. If I were buying again, however, I would definately check out the Marmot Precip.

Carl
Posted By: HUNTS Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/22/08
6000-7000' depending.
Posted By: pointer Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/23/08
For pants, I've been happy with Red Ledge, especially for the price.

But, I'm seriously thinking of trying some of the Sitka Downpour stuff and just using it exclusively and not packing any raingear. I think it could work, especially with a couple of small alterations...
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/23/08
Thanks HUNTS.

Carl
Posted By: high_country_ Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/23/08
mark, I have a pair of red ledge that I have been using for close to 10 years. I have used them for spring snowmobiling, and they have a TON of days in the field. they're not filsons, so you can't run through barb wire, but for the money I don't know that they can be beat. after all if they keep you dry and are packable, what els can you get besides fancy colors?
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/24/08
I agree. Red Ledge is great value rain gear. Buck Nelson who did the "Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness" hiked across the Brook Range and he had nothing but good to say about them even through all the bush whacking he did.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/26/08
Mark, I've used Taiga Works rain pants for years, partly because they are so compact and also low cost. Rain pants take such a beating that I hate to put much money in them. YMMV. Also I usually don't wear them a lot, though on a moose hunt last Fall I wore them non-stop for three days, and one full day in rain for blacktails. I always carry rain pants as part of my life insurance package and currently have two of these in different packs plus a pair I'm trying out that zip full length up the outside of each leg. I don't trust those for vigorous activity in really wet conditions.

The Taiga link below is a newer fancier version than the ultra simple coated nylon ones I have in my pack, bought two years ago from Taiga. Mine stuff into the rain pant pocket for a packed size about the bulk and weight of a good maple bar from a bakery. Looks like Taiga has "improved" it to up the price.

http://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=71
Posted By: Shag Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/27/08
The only pair of Frogg Toggs I ever had didn't make it through the day. Guess they can't handle fat guys running through the brush chasin elk. smile
Posted By: jetcraft Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/27/08
The Sitka Downpour gear has worked extremely well for me going on one fall hunt in the Selway, a week in Wyomings Tetons and still no leakage or damage or tears. I plan to take it into the Selway for spring bear this June.
Posted By: tuff Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/27/08
I really like the precip stuff. Pretty much wear it everyday while hunting and never had it leak yet. These are the only pants I bring besides my base layer, and I am always sitting while glassing. I keep expecting to get wet sitting down, but after four years of use nothing except dryness.

I would get whatever you decide to get from a place like REI because of the lifetime warranty. Take it back if you don't like it or if it fails.
Posted By: kenaiking Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/27/08
I dont think HH impertec has been mentioned yet. You can get it cheap too.

If it were me I would pick up the cloudveil Zorro jacket and pants. Lightweight, waterproof and durable. A little spendy but will last a lifetime and if it doesnt cloudveil fill fit or replace it.
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: rain gear Q's? - 05/27/08
Which RedLedge are you guys using?
© 24hourcampfire