Home
How do they compare?
I my experience, the BP taste better and offer much higher calorie meals.
Though it's been a year or two since I've had a BP, I think prefer the taste of mtn. house; beef stroganoff and the chicken/veg./rice one top the list for me.
mtn house sweet/sour pork w/ rice, eggs and bacon, lasgna

bp pad thai.

those always go with me.....yum.
I prefer nearly any Mountain House entree over nearly any Backpacker's Pantry. I prefer AlpineAire over BP as well.
Gruel is gruel. It ain't home cookin'.
I wouldn't put anything in the MH line-up in the category of gruel...
Sorry, that's true. To me they're all about the same. Some better than others. If I had to pick, it would be the MH Pro-Pak line. They're vacuum packed and take up less space in the pack.
Originally Posted by tdbob
Sorry, that's true.

True for you, not for me... ain't it grand we're all so different.
I actually like most of the MH meals I have eaten! Maybe its that I am exhausted, and a hot meal is such an incredible thing!! grin
It is amazing how much better hot food(about any hot food!) tastes during a long backpack hunt.
MH anyday over BP. Although I had a BP chicken and dumplins the other day and it was good. But in general, MH.
I honestly haven't had a bad MH. I've not tried anything else.
Don
I worked for a local Co. here as a sales rep that packaged dehydrated and freezedried meals, as well as sold the major brands, including MH and AA. We bought freeze-dried by the truck-load and I've been able to eat em' all. Guess I'm a bit of a Caliban, but I generally like them all and wouldn't equate any to "gruel." At one time we were in negotiations to buy Alpineaire... I wish that deal had happened as I'd still be comfortably employed behind a desk (grin).

Regardless, as was pointed out, a hot meal at the end of a long day is a blessing and MH, for me, makes it more so.
Brad,

What are you top five favorites in MH?
Beef Stroganoff... lived on it one summer and still my no. one favorite.

Turkey Tetrazzini, Chicken Teryaki, Chicken a la King, Beef Teriyaki.
I recently lived on MH meals for 6 days and I liked all of them..Did kinda run out of gas on the 5th day, but probably cause didn't allow enough for breakfeast. Did order a large pizza and a pitcher of beer when I got out and thouroughly enjoyed it. grin

LC
I like the MH meals better, chili mac and beans, beef stew, and beef strog. I do however love the BP red beans and rice and apple cobbler for two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Brad,

What are you top five favorites in MH?

I realize I'm not Brad (he's WAY older)...but here's my list:

1. Beef Stroganof
2. Chili Mac with Beef
3. Chicken with Noodles
4. Lasagna
5. Chicken ala King

I like to grab all the one serving packets of dried red peppers (like that come with pizzas) and add one to any of the above. While all taste good, all are a bit short on any type of seasoning IMO...
I'm a big fan of MH Chili Mac. It's good as hell going down, not so much on the way out..
MH puts wierd things in some of theirs. Like Tuna in Sweet& Sour Chicken. In fact they have fish products in many of their meals. 'Course if you are highly alergic to fish like I am, they are a no go.

I just like the much higher calorie content in BP. Some over 1000 for a 2 person serving (serves one, me!)
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Did order a large pizza and a pitcher of beer when I got out and thouroughly enjoyed it. grin

...lol...sometimes it's not what ya eat that keeps ya goin, but rather, what you look foward to eating when your done...haha...

mmmm...beer....
I went to arctic survival school at Eielson AFB outside of Faribanks in Nov 1989. The second night out it hit -42 degrees. Lots of guys cheated and brought snacks, I did not. I ate the rabits we caught and some bullion they allowed us.

When we got back to base, I went to the exchange, ordered a large pizza and a hot coffee and consumed both in one sitting.

A greasey little pizza never before, or since, has tasted so well..
pointer you and I'd be fighting over the grub bucket.

you hit most of my faves too.

bought some bp meals, haven't used one yet.

hard for me to find Alpine Aire anymore, lots of MH around here, and pretty good deals at Sam's club.

but AA has some good ones, Sweet Peach and Pecan Chicken, Leonardo Fettucini, Strawberry-banana chocolate fondue, side dishes of corn, applesauce and such

but my all time favorite is probably breakfast, MH blueberry granola, that's some good stuff imo&e, I'd eat it at home if it wasn't so spendy.

I'm not a picky eater though, I like most anything when I'm hungry if it's a peg or two above edible
© 24hourcampfire