Home
Posted By: MysteryRanch Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
How many of the folks here have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab?

Let's see some photos of them in action!!!

We're trying to build a customer appreciation area into our website. I'd love to see some photos and hear some stories.

Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
I have one and love it. Didnt take any pictures of this year though I should have. Took out a couple goats and deer with it this year. Took it on a couple epic elk "walks" too.
Thanks Kenai King!

Don't forget to snap some photos of your pack in action!

We've received thousands of photos from happy hunters this year.

Some of the loads are unbelievable.......

Posted By: dryflyelk Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
Here's mine in action a week ago.

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've packed out a couple of elk and this deer with it this year. It's my favorite pack, and I've tried and owned most all the rest. A great compromise in meat hauling and day pack use, with the capability to really cinch down against my back. I love that.
Dry Fly Elk~

Awesome photos.....

Looks like you got that buck with your bow...... right on!

Posted By: docdb Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
[Linked Image]

Squirrel River, Alaska 2006
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
Think this was my 4th season with the MR NICE. I mostly use the crewcab unless I'm taking a ton of gear or going in for a heavy load of meat - where I use the 6500. Here's a crewcab in use a few weeks ago.. and I wasn't wearing my Chacos.. too cold.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
I think GH is about the only person to ware out a CC smile
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/04/08
Doubt I'll wear one out.. that one is the one I bought a long time ago, first year they came out I believe.. other than permanent blood stains.. no real sign of wear. It'll last lots longer than the feet of the guy who backpack hunts in sandals.
Greenhorn~

I'm getting the feeling you're not that "green" at all. Thanks for sharing your photos. The best part about our packs is that if you ever do wear out your Crew Cab, we'll definitely replace it for free!

Thanks again for sharing your story.

Posted By: Dan D Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/05/08
Don't have any pics readily available but used the crewcab this year to hunt/pack out a bull. First load with a lot of boned out meat in a kifaru meat sack in the center space, second trip hind quarter strapped in same area. Load road well. I am intersted in the other quiet material packs you mentioned on the other thread. Also, think something like a load sling with a small - say 1500 ci compartment attached for essentials and water would be great.. light, day pack with ability to haul out the meat.
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/05/08
Dan,

Do you have the daypack lid? That would work perfect with the load sling.
Posted By: Dan D Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/05/08
Kenaiking ,
I don't have the lid, but will get one now. I had not thought of that option. Thanks for the advice. I wanted to cut the weight down a bit on the pack and think that would do it for day trips where you are prepared to pack meat out. Not sure but would think the lid with the sling would be lighter than the crewcab.

thanks again
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/05/08
Lid and sling should be a pound lighter then the CC. I have seen a couple set up with the load sling and nice pockets as well. I usually put my lunch in the lid and my knives and such in the from pocket of CC but they would fit in the lid as well.
Dan and Kenai~

I just threw a Load Sling and Daypack lid on the scale..... 2.05 pounds, the Crew Cab was 3.55 pounds...... so Kenai is right, just about a pound heavier on the Crew....

You can make the Daypack lid even lighter by removing the foam and backpack straps..... just make sure to burn the ends after removing them....

This is how I personally carry my Daypack Lid (with foam/straps removed)........ but I'm almost always carrying the Crew Cab (basically a load sling on steroids!!) Hopefully this helps.....

Dan.... what kind of animals are you pursuing?
Posted By: sugarfoot Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/05/08
MR I bought the Nice frame and load sling for a Alaskan float hunt a couple years ago. It's job was to carry my inflatable canoe , 100 lbs. fom the river to pick up site. It handled the load fine and plan on buying the crew cab.
Coop

Sugarfoot......

Andrew in the office says he worked with you.... remembers your story very clearly!!!

Thats awesome, do you have any photos of your adventure?

Thanks for sharing!

Posted By: sugarfoot Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/05/08
Pictures were taken with a throw away, probably could make them into cd,s ? MR was great to work with
Thank's
Coop
Sugarfoot~

I'd appreciate it if you could send a disc of the photos.... we're always astonished at all the different uses our customers find for the NICE Frame....

Feel free to call anytime.

Thanks.
Posted By: Dan D Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/06/08
MR,
thanks for the weight info. Mostly after elk when I use the NICE frame. Sometimes mule deer. Like the idea of the load sling and daypack lid to go lighter yet haul out the meat.

Dan
The thing I really like about wearing a Crew Cab is that you always have an unreal load hauling system on your back.... while on many of my adventures, I've found the Crew Cab works much better than the load sling (for my specific uses) and is worth the extra weight.... I know it's not perfect for every single situation!

It's nice to go lighter at times, but in those situations you'll be sacrificing an amount functionality for a lighter trip in..... we've followed this same principle by experimenting with building a couple just over 2 pound 3000 cubic inch Alpine Climbing Prototypes.... lots of times lighter is better..... and those packs were sweet for our trip..... but I also didn't plan on strapping an elk hind quarter to that pack!

When I'm HUNTING..... I always like to know my pack will be able handle whatever situation I've managed to find myself in..... that's why I carry the extra weight.... because the situation always changes.

I always go out hoping I'll come home with a heavy pack..... lots of times I'm just taking my pack for a walk and we come home empty handed, but every now and then!!!!!!

I think the words Crew Cab and Elk Hunter should go hand in hand.

Posted By: sugarfoot Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/07/08
MR, how about a campfire discount, there is a lot of you're supporter's here and would appreciated a discount, myself included, will have to excuse Brad, he live's in Bozemon
Coop
Sugarfoot~

Unfortunately..... we can't offer any "group" discounts. We do have a seconds rack here in the show room (very minor flaws) that we often sell at a 5% markdown. Most folks that find something there email me what their looking for and I check the rack..... We call them super seconds..... they don't last long!!!

The area where we're spending the most money on these packs is on our production. Mystery Ranch production is done completely within the U.S.A., not offering discounts allows us to give our employees great jobs, benefits, and wages. Giving people careers is our goal. Mystery Ranch currently employees around 70 people.

Let's look at an example of a $100 retail pack. For us, it costs $75 in materials and labor to make the pack, but we still sell the pack for $100. For companies that produce overseas...... it could cost them closer to $25 for materials and production...... but they'll still sell the pack to you for $100. When you buy a Mystery Ranch pack, there is no middle man, no margin based markup, you're getting the most absolute value for your money spent.

We've chosen to adopt a business plan that keeps all of our sales direct... no retailers... you can only buy over the internet, phone, trade show, or at our Show Room in Bozeman. Many people thought this business plan would never work..... but so far it's helping to grow our business very effectively.

Our goal/mission is simple...... make packs for the people who participate in activities where the quality of gear really matters.... Hunters are at the top tier of our hardcore users..... and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/07/08
Here is the only one I've got loaded to photobucket. I don't have one being worn as I was solo.

[Linked Image]

My heaviest loads have been in a 6500.

Carl
Right On Carl!

Keep taking and sending the photos our direction!!!

Looks like a heavy load!

Made in the U.S.A. is very important to me and was one of the main reasons I purchased a MR CC.

After using the CC last year on my hunts I couldn't be happier, except for the weight. The 90 pound load taken out on one of the trips carried as well as could be expected. However, I can't help but think that, for my uses, the CC bag could be 1.5 to 2 pounds lighter. In fact, I have gone so far as to sketch up a design that achieves a similar weight savings and attaches to the NICE frame. It's just a simple 4000 ci 500d Cordura sack with draw string top with flap and webbing reinforcements around the circumference, horizontal and vertical. Estimated weight is just under 2 pounds.
The Crew Cab and frame definitely aren't light...... and sure there are ways to lighten it up..... I rarely use the fold away pockets and have thought about slicing them off... but in general all the things that make the pack heavier than others are the same reasons why the Crew Cab can handle really heavy loads and last a lifetime.

I could easily put together a sub 2 pound pack for the frame, but I don't think it would be able to handle an elk hind quarter very well. We are going to be offering some much simpler bags for the NICE Frame..... designs close to our Big Sky pack...

I've tested a prototype for 40 days during this years hunting season and it's sweet. And lighter than the Crew Cab.... around 2800 cubic inches.

Someone here shoot me an email and I'll send out a photo of some of the latest innovative packs that we have...... then someone can post it here!!!

[email protected]
Posted By: sugarfoot Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/08/08
MR, Made in the USA is important to me. I am willing to pay for this. You make a fine product and you will recieve my support, ie, future purchases,
thank;s
Coop
No problem Sugarfoot. We appreciate your (and all 24hourcampfire.com members) business!

Thanks for keeping your dollars right here where they belong..... in the U.S.A!!!

Posted By: sugarfoot Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/09/08
MR, it's the Scotchman in me I guess, Have so much gear I sometime's need a little help to justify myself that I [need] more gear. My problem is that I also like Kifaru, Patrick Smith, so have to support him also
Coop
Posted By: leopardprey Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/11/08
Definitely on my list to get! Just viewed the Crew Cab and looks like a well made Ruck that will suit my needs. Like the Dana Design DNA, as have had a DD Ruck I bought back 14 years ago that has accompanied me on several treks in Nepal and held up great!

Have a question though. Can the Hip Belt on the Crew Cab be removed? And are various lengths of Shoulder straps available?
MR

I'm new to your packs. Do they come with a hydration system?

I would like to stop in when next I am in Bozeman. Hopefully this spring to watch my niece play V-Ball.
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - 12/11/08
They do!! they will hold up to 3 100oz bladders!
© 24hourcampfire