Home
Posted By: BD65 Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Hello, kind of new to the board. Just wondering what everyone else is wearing. I've had a Marathon Navagator. But I want to try something else, anything. Just let me know.

Thanks for your help,
BD
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
I have had a Suunto Vector since they came out. I really like it. Has the altimeter, compass, barometer and of course normal watch stuff.

Has always been within 200 feet as long as it is calibrated. Only gripe I have about it is I have to change the battery about every 2 years.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Dad's 100 year old Elgin pocket watch is the only time piece I carry whilst hunting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reba Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Wenger (Swiss Knife) make a very good watch.

I like the time, date and day display.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Even considering some of the wild McSwirlies you've ordered, you're kind of a sentimental Traditionalist at heart aren't you Scot. smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Not me....
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Should add, I've got a 100yr old Illinois watch (RR cert.) that belonged to someone's dad, but was given to me by my wife on our 5th. It keeps time when I'm in one of my all wool Filson moods. For hunting and EDC abuse I still can't seem to kill my Timex.
Posted By: Ken14 Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
92 vintage Citizen Windsurfer is my ourdoor watch of choice....
Posted By: avagadro Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
I have two Wenger Swiss Army watches, one all black and one not. Usually one of those. I have a Swiss Army brand watch I've used until the batteries died and I discovered it had to go back to the factory for battery replacement. Somedays its just my everyday Seiko.

Went out once with my Movado my wife got me (not thinking) ... I thought Satan himself was about to devour me!! smile
Posted By: lucznik Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Just a Plain-Jane Timex Expedition.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Watches??????? - 03/08/09
Usually its a Wenger Swiss Army with stop watch feature.
Posted By: Saskabush Re: Watches??????? - 03/09/09
Casio G-Shock

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Watches??????? - 03/09/09
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dad's 100 year old Elgin pocket watch is the only time piece I carry whilst hunting.

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/Stuff1/99axe.

jpg[/IMG]

Hey! Steely's post got me thinking. Les you could put a pocket watch in the stock of your favorite 99.
Posted By: BD65 Re: Watches??????? - 03/09/09
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I been looking at the G-Shocks and the Suuntos. Does any body have a Luminox? If so how do they hold up. But the more I think about it my dad has had the same Timex for a few years.
BD
Posted By: shinbone Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
Classic design; big and easy-to-read face; swiss mechanical movement:

http://www.archimede-uhren.de/EN/Pilot.htm

--shinbone

Posted By: JMR40 Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
My wife bought me a Luminox for Christmas '07. I don't think it has been off my arm more than 3 times in over a year. Keeps perfect time and I like the fact that I can read the dial in any light with out having to press any buttons. I don't recall the exact name of the one I have but it is the 3050 series. It has a larger dial than the standard one and is easier to see the numbers. Mine was $225, with the plastic body. They make one just like it with a stainless steel body that sells for about $300. I could have gotten it but the plastic was so light on my arm I decided I liked it better.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
That pic don't suck.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
Casio Illuminator.
Posted By: CDN_DUCKNUT Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
I wear a Tag Heuer F1 Chrono, or Citizen Titanium Nitehawk.

The Nitehawk Ti is an extremely light watch, for the size.
Posted By: SnowyMountaineer Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
Originally Posted by lucznik

+1
Posted By: Boise Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
I wear a $100 Titanium Skagen most days. But in the field I hate the sweat and dirt that accumulates under the band and most commonly carry a Timex pocket watch - more times than not the watch is in my pack.

My Timex Expedition got retired after many successful years of service but was always carried in a pack while hunting.
Posted By: Aswaldo Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
I have worn the Timex Ironman series for the last several years. While I'm not impressed with Timex's durability, for $5 dollars you can get an extended warranty that lasts for five years, which is about 3 years longer than any Timex has lasted - at their option they'll repair or replace, so I've gotten two new watches from them for almost nothing.

Having said that, my current Ironman is wearing out, and I've been looking at the Casio Pathfinder series. Anyone one have any experience with the Pathfinder? A little spendy - $200 or so online for the 1300T-7V - but if the features actually work it could be pretty cool. . . .
Posted By: SnowyMountaineer Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
It has been my experience (albeit limited) that probably 5% of people who have watches with compasses, altimeters, barometers, etc. actually have any reasonable use for them. They definitely have a niche for usefulness, it's just a lot smaller than REI/mountaingear/backcountry.com/etc. tells us.
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
It has been my experience (albeit limited) that probably 5% of people who have watches with compasses, altimeters, barometers, etc. actually have any reasonable use for them. They definitely have a niche for usefulness, it's just a lot smaller than REI/mountaingear/backcountry.com/etc. tells us.

That's definitely true. Its way more of a novelty to me then anything else. I got my suunto when they first came out. I was working in a ski shop so it was pretty cheap. Its just cool to look at your watch and see your at 10000 feet smile The only thing I "need" a watch for in the field is to know when I can start and stop shooting.

The other cool thing to do is see how fast you can loose elevation when your skiing.
Posted By: GuyInSD Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
I tried the new Suunto X10 -- GPS and all! Once the novelty wore off, which was fairly quick given all of the set-up, and I confirmed that the battery life was very limited with GPS on, I found that it really did little for me.

I'll stick with separate components and rely on my old Seamaster for the time.
Posted By: Aswaldo Re: Watches??????? - 03/12/09
Originally Posted by kenaiking

That's definitely true. Its way more of a novelty to me then anything else. I got my suunto when they first came out. I was working in a ski shop so it was pretty cheap. Its just cool to look at your watch and see your at 10000 feet smile The only thing I "need" a watch for in the field is to know when I can start and stop shooting.

The other cool thing to do is see how fast you can loose elevation when your skiing.

Agreed. Also, the reason why I sometimes buy New York Steaks instead of just eating canned tuna cool Still, on top of check the altitude while skiing, the compass and barometer would be cool when elk hunting. And if I have to schlep a watch like that around the rest of the year, then by golly I might just do it . . .
Posted By: Swift Re: Watches??????? - 03/13/09
Seiko it keeps time.
Posted By: AncBill Re: Watches??????? - 03/14/09
Seiko for me too. No batteries, tells day and date, waterproof to 2 atms.
Posted By: las Re: Watches??????? - 03/14/09
The cheaper the better- never spent over $30 for one. Waterproof and shock resistant, of course- some have lasted for 6-8 years. Timex, or Casio, mostly.

I lose them before they wear out, usually-pins or bands break....

My wife wears expensive Seikos, and goes through more than I do... They quit.

I don't call her "Typhoid Cheryl' for nothing.
Posted By: aflineman Re: Watches??????? - 03/14/09
Originally Posted by Aswaldo
Anyone one have any experience with the Pathfinder? A little spendy - $200 or so online for the 1300T-7V - but if the features actually work it could be pretty cool. . . .

I got mine from Costco after my Nike died. I have had it about two years and really like it. I use most of the fetures, not exclusivly, but they are handy.
I really like the fact that it has a solar rechargable battery and is a waveceptor, so it keeps time from the atomic clocks in Denver.
Posted By: battue Re: Watches??????? - 03/15/09
Just me, but a watch and hunting, once I get into the field just don't go together. Try to plan my hunting time so time is not an issue. Wish I could have lived some back when you went on a hunting trip to Ak and spent 30 days at it. No rush to get it done. Go at your own pace. Multiple animals on the tags, no waiting for draws. If the weather does not suit you kick back and wait until it gets better. That would be cool, but not to be.

Know to many that live their life by worrying about time and worry takes up the bigger part of it.
Posted By: LJB Re: Watches??????? - 03/15/09
Luminox watches are the real deal. Lots of styles to choose from. I like the Field Watch or the Captain's Field Watch models because they are simple and uncomplicated. The dials are very readable in the dark, even for older eyes. Make great gifts too.
Posted By: Aswaldo Re: Watches??????? - 03/16/09
Originally Posted by aflineman
Originally Posted by Aswaldo
Anyone one have any experience with the Pathfinder? A little spendy - $200 or so online for the 1300T-7V - but if the features actually work it could be pretty cool. . . .

I got mine from Costco after my Nike died. I have had it about two years and really like it. I use most of the fetures, not exclusivly, but they are handy.
I really like the fact that it has a solar rechargable battery and is a waveceptor, so it keeps time from the atomic clocks in Denver.

Thanks for the report!
Posted By: northcountry Re: Watches??????? - 03/16/09
Originally Posted by lucznik

+1

+2 like the two way analog/digital
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Watches??????? - 03/16/09
You guys have too much time on your hands grin

But seriously, although I have a drawer full of watches I really like the Casio G-shock. Not too worried if it get lost or messed up. Mine has altitude and compass which is nice for the novelty, solar powered so batteries are not a issue, weighs next to nothing, and above all has been reliable for the 5 or 6 years I have had it. Oh forgot to mention the alarms are nice as is the night light.

Lefty C
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Watches??????? - 03/16/09
I don't wear a watch, instead I carry an extra bullet just in case..... wink grin
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Watches??????? - 03/17/09
This is all you need:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3082025&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-421235-_-3082025&mr:trackingCode=C798E569-4512-DE11-80A9-000423C27502&mr:referralID=NA

or this:

http://www.kenmarwatches.com/index....6&ref=FR&cm_mmc=froogle-_-JR9887
Posted By: BD65 Re: Watches??????? - 03/18/09
Hello, again thanks for all the feedback. I think that Im going with a Luminox, I like the illuminated hands. And I just need it to tell time. Keep the feedback coming just out of curiosity.
Posted By: BPML Re: Watches??????? - 03/19/09
Originally Posted by Saskabush
Casio G-Shock

[Linked Image]
Ditto.Excellent watch for the money,you can't kill them they keep time perfectly.I had one for four years,used it at work and in the field.I got rid of it just to buy a new one.
Posted By: las Re: Watches??????? - 03/20/09
Anything under $30. An alarm is handy for hunting season. Illuminated dial optional.

Water "proof" and shock resistance mandatory.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Watches??????? - 03/21/09
The only watch I've worn since 1969 is the Rolex gold and stainless Datejust I bought in the Navy Exchange at Subic Bay that year for $270. It's taken an awful beating over the years but keeps on ticking. Not needing batteries, it's saved me a bundle.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Watches??????? - 03/21/09
Originally Posted by las
Anything under $30. An alarm is handy for hunting season. Illuminated dial optional.

Water "proof" and shock resistance mandatory.

With my hi freq hearing loss (canon cocker) I have never heard a watch alarm. I'm sure many shooters have the same problem.
I use a Citizen Eco Drive Ti.

g
Posted By: kcm270 Re: Watches??????? - 03/21/09
I have a Casio with a vibrating alarm that I got a Walmart for about $40. Works great. I prefer the Tissot T-Touch for everything, but it's a lot more expensive.
Posted By: AlaskanFlyboy Re: Watches??????? - 03/24/09
I wear the titanium Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk, though I've been wanting a good outdoor watch as - while I love my Skyhawk - I just fear losing or damaging it in the wilderness. It's also useless at night in all but June through August as it takes a lot of direct sun exposure to luminesce. A cheap Indiglo watch or a tritium watch if I ever have more dollars than sense, has been appealing to me more.

I do love the eco-drive concept though. Not ever having to wind or replace batteries has been beautiful.

As you can see, the Skyhawk also has way more function than I could ever need in the wild.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HandCanonShootr Re: Watches??????? - 03/28/09
Luminox are great in my book, had a steel dressy one for years. In the mountians, diving, daily wear. Replaced it finally with a titanium diver model, lighter, and no buttons to press. Like to hang from the tent above my face, can see the time in pitch black without moving.

Mike B.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Watches??????? - 03/28/09
cheapest LCD watch wally world has. Easy to replace. They all have alarms and a light display button. Probably around 15-20 bucks by now.
© 24hourcampfire