Home
Hi Guys:

I am excited to announce that Lathrop and Sons ( http://www.lathropandsons.com ) have come on board as sponsors, and we are very pleased to have them!

We have arranged for a promotion of $100 off their top-of-the-line custom-fitted Hanwag Alaska GTX boot system for Campfire members:

[Linked Image]

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/29

I am getting myself a pair of Hanwags, as they come as highly recommended by some guys whose opinion I completely trust and who know of my problem right ankle, as any boot ever. These guys have a helluva reputation as a world-class boot system!

You can expect a Lathrop/Hanwag representative to register very soon and begin answering any questions you may have.

I, personally, cannot skimp on boots, and while I've been happy with a very few top-line European boots, the overall decline in boot quality across the board with previously reliable manufacturers, especially with stuff being moved to Asia for manufacture, has made it harder to move up in quality. I welcome a true "old-world" European bootmaker that knows and delivers true quality in a boot!

I know some may balk at the price, but when you consider the reputation Hanwag has for quality, plus the fact that a bona-fide podiatrist will custom fit you, plus what cheapo-Chinese former reputable brands are selling for, I'm not blinking. Plus, I can't have cheap boots, anyway. I want the best I can get.

I'm giving a custom-fitted Hanwag a run! Here's hoping some members can save a buck on a truly world-class boot system as well.
Awesome!! I love my trapper top GTX. I would love to have a set of the mountain light as well!!
I have two pair of boots from Lathrop and Sons. Their stuff is as good as advertised. Great news for the Campfire.
If I hadn't found bliss with the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme, the Hanwag Trapper was going to be the next boot I tried.

They look VERY well made and intelligently designed. Course at the end of the day, fit is everything as we all know.
How's a guy supposed to save any money around here, with all these nice toys to be had?
I am enjoying my Hanwag Trapper Top's as well! Welcome....
Great!!

I have a question on these boots? On my early mulie hunts in sept we encounter temps from 75* to 20*. Snow usually melts buy noon. I have gators if need be. 100plus pds on the trip out. Is this the one I want?

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/103
I don't like the looks of the threads that are exposed all over the sides. I have seen a pair of boots fall apart in 8 days from abrasion on rock.

What type of warranty do you get from Lathrop and Sons? Is it lifetime?
Originally Posted by tuff
I don't like the looks of the threads that are exposed all over the sides. I have seen a pair of boots fall apart in 8 days from abrasion on rock.

Those must have been some seriously chitty boots.

As to exposed seams, unless you go plastic, you're gong to have exposed seams/stitching. It's been such since the first cave man invented Vibram soles.

The last 2 pairs of boots I bought both have stitching that is basically only up the back. Idk if they were crap boots, but I don't see how any threads are going to hold up to abrasion against rock? Maybe some company's use a special thread that is abrasion resistant?

I've been climbing and backpacking in leather boots with exposed threads since the mid 1970's... I'm brutal on boots. I've slowly over years had stitching become abraded and lost a row or two in a small area, but that never affected the boots performance.

I'm honestly having a tough time trying to visualize anyone harder on boots than me... I'm one to avoid unnecessary stitching on a boot, but in general, looking over the Hanwag, I'd say they've been fairly restrained with excessive stitching (unlike what one sees on some Meindel models).

Just my perspective...
Originally Posted by Shag
Great!!

I have a question on these boots? On my early mulie hunts in sept we encounter temps from 75* to 20*. Snow usually melts buy noon. I have gators if need be. 100plus pds on the trip out. Is this the one I want?

I've wondered about the abrasive toughness of a boot like this. I know leather helps support the ankles.. But I want to go lighter.
I'm honestly having a tough time trying to visualize anyone harder on boots than me

Brad, you just met him and at least your match.
Those boots have a ton of stitching imo. The one pair of meindls I've owned had stitching up the back and around the tongue. None all over the sides like that.

That is why I asked if they had a warranty. So in case they do fall apart then you are not out 200 plus dollars.

I bought a new pair of boots this year and got a lifetime warranty.
Great!!

I've wondered about the abrasive toughness of a boot like this. I know leather helps support the ankles.. But I want to go lighter.

I think the leather is fine I would just worry about the stitches.
su35. did chuck tell you about the permit I pulled?
NO! please tell! grin
The man drew a Wenaha West Archery tag!! smile
I've got a set of Trappers with the Lathrop footbed. I had been using Asolos for my BP hunting and my feet were screaming at the 3-4 mile mark due to issues internally. The Lathrop system helped considerably and I can hunt/hike in comfort far longer.

I really need to see a local podiatrist to get my problems fixed completely, but in the interim the Lathrops have been a huge improvement.

Great guys, Great boots, Great service.
The man drew a Wenaha West Archery tag!! smile

My bad it's a rifle hunt in the rut!
A sharp rock and a slip or misstep can ruin any leather boot regardless of seams. And that can happen to anyone. BTDT.

MtnHtr
good luck with your HanWags Rick, hope they're the grail for you.

welcome Lathrop and Sons, tis always good to have knowledgable folk aboard, and that they make a great product only enhances their participation.

betcha sell a few boots to these hombres

already have mine, tks to VerninAK
Hey guys! We are happy to be a sponsor on 24hourcampfire, which we know is a very informative and accurate source of information.

Anybody who has any questions or concerns about the products and services that we offer please feel free to post here or contact us at our office. Don't hold back...we'll answer any and all questions you may have.

Once again, we are happy to be onboard!

Lathrop & Sons
Custom Boot Systems with Bite!

Glad to see you on board. I've yet to get a pair, but will someday. I've talked to Steve quite a bit and respect their knowledge on boots and feet. I had to tell him which direction a turkey comes off a roost to get additional information, but it was worth it, lol...zale
This is awesome!

I can't wait to buy some $286.75 tennis shoes!

Oh baby.

LOL!
Just saw this. I want to say that these fellows are a class act. I bought two pair of thier boots with custom foot beds in 2005(for my pardner and myself) for my Dall sheep hunt in AK. and I can say, I don't think I could have done it without them.

Great boot and great folks to deal with. Welcome aboard!

Kennon
I am glad that they are on the campfire as well. They are awesome boots and I look forward to using them this fall.
They have a lot of bang for the buck.

Many people wonder why their system is more expensive. I have heard that Lathrop and Sons are a father/son podiatrist team that likes hunting and their system includes custom insoles that are fitted to your feet. Their prices are less than having to do this on your own.

I hope that more people realize that the Germans have this hiearchy of boot quality. 1) Hanwag, 2) Lowa, 3) Meindl.

Sincerely,
Thomas
First off, thanks to all for the kind words.

Shag,

I would recommend the Alaska GTX based upon the limited amount of info I have about your hunt. I am always more confident in snow with a fully leather boot protecting me from moisture.

tuff,

We offer a 100% guarantee for fit to all who choose the Silver or Gold Packages. We will work to fit each customer perfectly through various modifications. As for defectiveness and craftmanship, we offer a one year repair or replacement warranty and pro-rate beyond that timeline. For the record, we have had less than 10 pairs of boots returned for defectiveness in the years that we have been selling Hanwag boots. I commend the Germans on their strict attention to the most mundane detail for this track record.

Keep the questions coming,

Dusty Nethery
Lathrop & Sons Ltd.

Glad to see the Lathrop crew here! I used a pair of the footbeds/Meindl Island Pros for 4 hard years! Great stuff. I went a bit of a different direction with my last boot purchase, but will be going back to Lathrop for the next. Besides, they helped me fix this: laugh
[Linked Image]
Ouch!!
I truly hate that pic!!! OUCH! grin
GREAT!!! Just when I had myself talked into some Russels .... back to the drawing board!!
G-D it...just when I think I've seen that pic for the LAST time, he throws it up again....

Knock it off allready!

...lol...

My gosh, get you some moleskin and lose the camera, please. Gak. wink
Sorry guys, but I just want the L&S crew to know how much they helped me out!!

Rick- Moleskin? I use duct tape... wink
Although it is a success story that picture always makes me consider skipping my next meal or two.

Thanks anyhow, Pointer.

Dusty
Sorry about that... wink I will say that I NEVER got a blister in the Meindl Island Pro's + footbeds I bought from you guys.
Hello all.

Recently we have been receiving a lot of questions concerning our High Country footbeds. Most to the effect of "what makes them special?" and "what makes them better/different than Dr. Scholl's or Superfeet?". In the following paragraphs I'd like to address these and hopefully any other questions somebody may have.

We utilize a patented visco elastic polymer that has been tested and proven in the medical field for many years. We have been using this material in our office for wound care and blister prevention for many years with great success.

A further case for the effectiveness of this material is that the inventor used it to heal a chronic ulcer on an adult ELEPHANT foot at his local zoo. No joke. That is some serious shock absorbtion, wouldn't you say?

We have taken this material and furthered the effectiveness with the design of our newly engineered molds. We worked closely with Extreme Tool's Nelson Sommefeldt and Mike Zacharias, both of whom are outdoorsmen, to create the best and most effective insole design available. We are now excited to offer this new design to our customers for 2009. [img][IMG]http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu158/Stephen_M_Lathrop/nelson_design_pic-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Originally Posted by Lathrop_and_Sons
... Extreme Tool's Nelson Sommefeldt and Mike Zacharias, both of whom are outdoorsmen, to create the best and most effective insole design available.

Small World and good to hear. Extreme tool is located in Wakefield, Michigan which is just a few miles down the road from where I live. I know several of their employees.
bluffview,

Small world indeed. Great guys all around and a pleasure to conduct business with.

Dusty
Glad to here good work coming out of the U.P. Knew Mike when he was at Ironwood Plastic top notch guy.
Just shot one set of High Country Hunting Boot System w/ Hanwag Alaska GTX Boot . (Really big investment for the boot in my life. blush )

Really want to try High Country footbed grin
In celebration of the 4th of July we are having a 10% off sale of ALL our Bronze Boots! 7/1 thru 7/6 only.

Alaska GTX reg. price: $281.40

Alaska GTX sale price: $253.26

Please reference promo code 7424.

Good hunting,

Dusty
Dusty,

Do the Alaska GTX's come in a WIDE??

Thanks
Welcome to the 'Fire Lathrop and Sons! If you could, would you post a link to your site in your signature. Thanks.
norcalblacktail,

They do not come in a wide. They will accomodate a 2E without problem, 4E or more and modification is required.

AkMtnHntr,

Thanks. New to this format and did not realize I could do that.

Dusty
What if one has different sized feet?
22WRF,

We utilize different methods depending on the amount of difference between the feet. For smaller discrepancies, filler strips are a viable solution. Give me a call if you would like to discuss further what I cannot fully articulate through a typed response.

Have a great day,

Dusty Nethery
On the exposed thread concern, I understand all of the better made boots use a kind of lock stiching that prevents the boot from coming apart if some of the exposed threads are cut.
Brad, you need to spend a month or two running around in some of our lava rock, desert sheep ranges. There you will learn what really abrasive rock can do to boots. E
I called and talked to Dusty last Thursday and ordered 2 pairs of Alaskan GTX one in 12 US and the other in 12.5 US(great to have 12.5.)They arrived today and the 12.5 was the ticket.

Great service Dusty, I appreciate it.

John
John,

You weren't so bad to deal with yourself! Hopefully your kids weren't too mad about me making you late for your hike.

Good luck this year,

Dusty
Just spent 5 hours in my new Alaskan GTX's and they were very comfortable right out of the box.

The ankle support is excellent, lacing system locks your foot in place. Traction in varying terrain is also very good.

The boots also seem to breathe very well as my feet will usually create a sauna in short order.

Will report back as I get more miles in them
Without a doubt the Hanwag and the Lathrop system is the way to go for safe and comfortable hunting.

You cannot make a filet mignon out of a hot dog, no matter how you prepare the hot dog. Don
Just Ordered My Alaska GTX's yesterday! Great service helping me to determine size over the phone! Thanks!
Brad and SU35,

I challenge. Meindl Engerdin bought new in July 09, worn to be walked in around the forests here, were totally busted by September 16th. Stiches gone, no more ankle support.

3 sheep hunts done them in.

Dusty
Just found this thread.I am interested it
you boots.Would the discount still apply?
Welcome!!
Deserthunter, none of the discounts apply per Dusty. I am in the process of buying a pair right now and asked him this morning. One thing to be aware of you can get a pretty good chunk of change wrapped up in shipping if the size they recommend does not fit. Just to exchange them one time will end up costing you at least 36.00 and thats if you live in the midwest.

The way they determined the size I needed was they had me measure my current insoles. Then matched it up with the insoles in the Hanwags. The insoles measured the same, but they were way to tight, I sent them back for the next half size up, got them today, and have been wearing them around the house. I'm still not convinced they are not to small, the left boot feels good but the right is still a little iffy.

I've got my fingers crossed as I really didn't want to have to send them back again.

Good Luck,

Ozark
They didn't have you trace your feet and send the tracings in for size determination?
I have had 2 pair of Alaskas from Lathrop and Son's They are fantastic. I wore the first pair every day for over a year.
I've tried calling Lathrop and Sons twice and emailed them to inquire about and purchase a pair of boots. Left messages both times with my name and number. Do they still drop by the campfire so I can get touch with them?
We have arranged for a promotion of $100 off their top-of-the-line custom-fitted Hanwag Alaska GTX boot system for Campfire members:
I, personally, cannot skimp on boots, and while I've been happy with a very few top-line European boots, the overall decline in boot quality across the board with previously reliable manufacturers, especially with stuff being moved to Asia for manufacture, has made it harder to move up in quality. I welcome a true "old-world" European bootmaker that knows and delivers true quality in a boot!
Great news for you and your family and congratulations. He also looks very alert. I�ll bet he is going to be a handful. Big sister will have to keep him in line. God Bless.
I've been pounding my Alaska GTX boots w/ their footbeds for three years and they have been great. I use them for all seasons along with the Bridgedale trail or trekker and havent had an issue with feet sweating. They are a little on the heavy side but I can certainly justify that extra few ounces for comfort and ruggedness. Have you guys made any modifications to the footbeds over the past few years?

coon
Wonderful! Thanks for this heads up, and Thanks to Lathrop & Sons for their discount deal.
© 24hourcampfire