Home
Posted By: dawaba Leaking Gore-Tex Seams - 07/11/09
I have a leaking seam on the shoulder of a gore-tex parka after wearing a backpack on an Alaska bear hunt. I've read here that some of you dilute silicone glue with white gas to seal tent seams. What do you experts use to touch up a seam on a gore-tex garment?

The parka is otherwise perfect except for the left shoulder, so I prefer to not trash the coat altogether. But until it's fixed, I won't trust it in the boonies. Any ideas for a home remedy??
Posted By: Bitt Re: Leaking Gore-Tex Seams - 07/12/09
Genuine gore-tex - sounds to me like a warranty issue.
I would go that route before sealing the seams from the outside.
The mix I am familiar with is silicone caulk and mineral spirits (I think it was 50/50 ).
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Leaking Gore-Tex Seams - 07/12/09
Is it a taped seam?
Posted By: dawaba Re: Leaking Gore-Tex Seams - 07/12/09
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Is it a taped seam?

Yes, it is taped on the inside.
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Leaking Gore-Tex Seams - 07/12/09
Hmmm if the seam de-laminated it should be a warranty issue. If its just wetting out try to clean the jacket with a gore wash and dry in the dryer on delicate. If its still wetting through without your pack on its a defect.

Posted By: olypen Re: Leaking Gore-Tex Seams - 07/12/09
If you are near an out door store and want an easy fix the sil-net seam sealing from Mcnett works great. That or a dab of Aquaseal which is similar but doesn't dry quite as flexible. It takes very little sealant to stop a leak, often the trick for me is determining where the leak is at.
© 24hourcampfire